New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two for one and turn out the lights
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Two stories in one post! A pig was showing up early and regular at my friend's place. At 9:30 a dark form was to the right but just out side the lights. I even looked at it with my scope once. Clear enough for a shot, 416 Ruger position would not have mattered! I decided to wait for a good in the light shot! A very loud tired vehicle come down the county road, probably 600 to 700 yards away. Pig took off. I am thinking the pig may have winded me coming in and the combine noise was more than it could stand. Sat 11:30 but it did not come back.
Last night went to my place still light enough to see well. As I turned to the gate I saw a sounder in the pens I have to drive through! Grabbed my 300 PRC loaded it and just opened the gate to break the plane! Caught one going behind a tree. I had to finish it with my 45 ACP. Small, I did not even look at the sex or weigh it as I needed to get to the blind. Sat till 10:30 but saw nothing

Sitting at my friend's I got to thinking. I am not a spring chicken. If I had an emergency, because of circumstances, help would be a long time coming if at all! My place is no better! I am going to let my feeders run out of corn then move my stuff to the wife's place. There are close neighbors that can readily get to me! Time to turn out the lights!

Posts: 692 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Live Oak—I’m in the same boat as you (age) and all 3 of the places I hunt solo have owners on the land. That’s a bit of comfort, but I would hate to think I had to roust them out in the middle of the night to help the EMTs find me out in the brush.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will still hunt my wife's. The pigs are not or very regular there. I put corn on the ground year round because I deer hunt there. I told her with all the money, time, sweat and blood I have put into "her" place it is only fitting that I die there! Ha Ha She found no humor in that!

Posts: 692 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote