New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Ones of February
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sat last night with the rifle and saw nada. Went back tonight with bow due to most favorable breezes and the piggies showed up at 8:08 or so. Shot the first one and the sounder scattered. Reloaded the bow, and in about 5-6 minutes they returned and I shot a second.

Here's the first one--

Never recovered the second one, though he left this:

and this:

I'll go out in the morning and spend some more time looking for #2.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
two for sure.

Good shooting, lets see it when you find it too.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Went back this AM to search for the other one. Still found no blood trails, but did find the front part of one arrow, and a little blood on a tree. Walked the open area in the pecans first as it was in a direction they often come from--nothing, then I started at the back of the property in the thick stuff--lots of sign, but no dead piggie. Gradually worked my way back towards the feeder and at one point, caught a whiff of pig. Gradually worked in towards the feeder and walked up on #2. Looked like she had been shot in the throat--WTH? Both of the ones last night were behind the shoulder.

Started back to the feeder along a cow trail, and lo and behold, I walk up on this guy. This is obviously the one I smelled too.

When I rolled him over, I saw pig poo and pus oozing out of two holes in his belly--not fresh wounds for sure. Possibly the cow man gut shot him intentionally as he does. Or, maybe been in a fight with another boar with teeth and got poked in the gut?

Here's the exit wound from the BH and last night's shot--don't think it got his belly.
As I walked back to the feeder, about 30 yds away, found the other half of the arrow, and there was a fair to good blood trail--when the sounder scattered at the shot, this one didn't go the direction I thought he did, and I never walked over in that area last night.

So-I think what happened, the first one I shot had a second pig behind, and the arrow got it in the neck through major blood vessels. First time I've had a two-fer with a bow although I've done it several times with a rifle and shotgun.

Here's the "stringer"--

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's my next target--

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another boar from the same place as the first 3--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By golly when you find the acorns you do a bang up job of collecting them.
Good for you, helps even out the skunked trips somewhat. That's part of the game, right?

Iv'e got lots of doubles on p/dogs and ONE triple while taking a break antelope hunting one day. A .243 makes a mess of things, but, it does carry thru the whole deal.

Stay healthy, this way sucks!

George and thanks for sharing the whole story too.

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote