New
Find
Notify
Tools

and now we know
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Always hear you can coat corn with diesel, pigs love it, deer and coons do not but no one ever says I do it! A friend wanted me to trap pigs on one of the places I hunt em. Resurrected an old trap another friend a I built. Tied the doors back and baited with corn; deer on the game cam! Tried different stuff to contaminate the corn so the deer would leave it. Finally remembered to bring in some dyed diesel from the Wife's place. Put diesel coated corn in the trap every other day three times, only pigs going in the trap! The pile under feeder(can be seen in my sow picture) is still there. No pigs have visited the feeder only deer and one coon. They ate right up to pile of coated corn but would not touch it! Now I know! Trap is baited and set with dieseled corn!

Posts: 696 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, you can also put the diesel on a tree they rub on near bait if ther is one. Now if you have scent wary hogs, put some burlap on your boots with some diesel on them and walk in Smiler.

Posts: 1067 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Live Oak:
Always hear you can coat corn with diesel, pigs love it, deer and coons do not but no one ever says I do it! A friend wanted me to trap pigs on one of the places I hunt em. Resurrected an old trap another friend a I built. Tied the doors back and baited with corn; deer on the game cam! Tried different stuff to contaminate the corn so the deer would leave it. Finally remembered to bring in some dyed diesel from the Wife's place. Put diesel coated corn in the trap every other day three times, only pigs going in the trap! The pile under feeder(can be seen in my sow picture) is still there. No pigs have visited the feeder only deer and one coon. They ate right up to pile of coated corn but would not touch it! Now I know! Trap is baited and set with dieseled corn!

gonna try that! thanks

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Diesel effects do not last long. Seems it weathers off fairly fast. Had pictures of my pile, pigs nibbled on it, then a deer finished it off after about 4 days there on the ground.

Posts: 696 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you folks in chigger country

know a bit of diesel on your boots
or pant legs will keep those pests
off?

Learned that trucking in 1970, first
trip south.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So will sulphur powder and Off.

Posts: 70 | Location: College Station TX | Registered: 06 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I agree about the sulfur powder but it stinks more to me than the diesel. I vote for the diesel. Be Well, Packy