New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beast
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, the landowner trapped and killed the big spotted boar earlier this week, and I nailed his big buddy tonight.

Winds were right and got in position about 8:10. Settled in and enjoyed the cool breeze and the moon. At 9:02 the feeder spun and at 9:02 and 10 seconds there he was. Obviously he wasn't too far away and his watch was synced with the feeder timer. Big Grin

Got on the sticks, slipped the safety off, aimed and squeezed it off, and away he went. Gave him about 10 minutes and walked up to the feeder---no obvious blood and no visible tracks inside the pen, so I guess he was on the outside when I popped him. Started walking in the direction he departed, scanning every few steps. Hadn't gone far when I spotted him, down and dead.

Of course he was in the woods and far enough from the treeline I had to drag him about 10 yds--whew that was tough. His legs were big and it was like grabbing a baseball bat and getting a grip and holding on was tough. Finally got him close enough I could get a rope on him and away we went to the buzzard buffet. Did thhe measurements for plugging into the pig weight formula 41" tail to skull and 48" around at the heart for a calculated weight of 236lbs.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice... Big ol' stinky one.

Posts: 225 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DKing--really didn't smell that badly--not as much as the one I shot last week that yielded this tusk--

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice...

I pour/melt candle wax into the tusks I save, seems to stop them from cracking.

SOMEDAY I'll put together a plaque.

I haven't seen a feral hog in over a years now, I suspect they've found and remain at forage in more hospitable area(s).

Posts: 225 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a plaque I made several years ago--backing is a piece of skin from a large rattler I killed. Gonna try the candle wax--

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Those tusks are just lovely. Good job on the harvest, dustoffer! beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to look up the hog measuring technique for estimating weight. Thanks!

I might even start running a chart of measured estimate versus a scale to see how close it is.

Posts: 472 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer

Nice Plaque... We're a little short big rattlers up here but I'll find a suitable backer ad give your version a try.

The tusks are translucent... I use white candle wax.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gsganzer:

I might even start running a chart of measured estimate versus a scale to see how close it is.

It would be great to have some real-world actual weights for comparison. It is possible that hogs of different breed mixes might vary, as well as varying with food and nutritional mixes. And age: I know that 20 years ago I had a smaller waist at the same weight as now Confused

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice one!!!

Posts: 692 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gsganzer:

I had the same thought--and that's just another reason to kill more hogs--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a big one for your area

Good shot.

Impressive tusk too.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
That's a big one for your area

Good shot.

Impressive tusk too.

George

George—I will be going out tomorrow to extract the others, and then in 2 was for this most recent kill.

If anyone wants/needs some tusks, let me know as I have some laying around.

one of us
posted Hide Post
DKing— you ought to have some eastern diamondbacks and canebrake/timber rattlers in your area—-

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer

We have "Canebrake" here but I'm reluctant to kill them unless they're near human habitation... I've killed enough in my youth, nowadays I require a definitive reason.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Understand about your reluctance---IMO they are the most beautifully colored snake in the US.

Went for a sit last night--no hogs on my side of the fence but watched the "pig parade" to the east--2 sows and about 10 smaller ones. Also saw a big coyote or dog with one ear flopping and the right rear leg broken. Should have shot it (all dogs are fair game on the place due to the problems they are causing with newborne calves).