New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hog Trap Improvement
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Before you read, tell me why I got this chain link fencing last winter and didn't start installing it until 95-degree weather? Regardless of my dumbness, this will keep the piglets inside the trap---no more squeezing out once the gate falls. Burying it about 6" below the bottom of the panels, fastening to the panels with hog rings, and leaving the top 18" loose in case they try to climb out, it will sag back into the trap with their weight.

I will head back out Monday in the morning for another bit of digging. Hardest part was removing the old wire I used inside previously---the kind with the black plastic used on construction sites---no-go, not strong enough. The rest of the wire is in good shape so all I will need to do is trench, and then attach the chain link to the panels over the existing wire---multiple blocking. I don't think the shoats will be escaping now--

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HA!
You could have waited another month
til the sun got good and warmed up.

Looks like good digging.

Good idea too. Sounds like winner.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something else always comes up when the weather is nice for me! My grass is not that green! You would be digging with a pick or jack hammer here. I had to repair cattle pens today. Took four gallons of water to drill one post hole to 48 inches! I would be building a pig trap for nothing! Only pictures I have been see are at the wife's place but there are totally random!

Posts: 698 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Live Oak--if I was trying to do this at my other place about 20 miles east of here I would be using a pick and pry bar. Thank goodness this location is nice and sandy. Getting rain tonight so may have to walk to the trap to work, but I can carry my tools plus the ice chest. Plan on heading out early--say 8:00

one of us
posted Hide Post
Back out today for more "improvement" and here's what it will look like after one more trip:

I know the little ones won't squeeze out now, and the new wire hasn't kept them out as the area under the feeder is all rooted up from last night's visitors.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All done now and I have a pair of medium boars hitting it every night. Sunday night it gets set!!! And hopefully we will see how it stands up to the test Monday morning. BOOM

One thing I've found---can't climb the fence to get inside---got to do the low crawl thru the gate. Frowner

one of us
posted Hide Post
Checked cams at the other spot today--real pretty bob-kitty stopped by.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking pelt,
quite skinny looking though.
Feed it some pig scraps.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully tonight is the night---to break the virginity of the newly-upgraded trap. I have a couple of 150-180# boars visiting regularly, as in 9 out of 10 nights plus this week I had a group of perhaps 10 shoats in the trap.

I have an order for a big one for the makings of cured hams so maybe in the morning.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The new trap is no longer virgin---caught this 150-160lb boar last night.

And, he did a job on the ground inside the trap too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, they've been in there for sure.
Got on here just to check to see if
you'd gotten any.

One's a start, don't quit now!
Thanks for sharing.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
Checking on me huh? Was there any doubt?

I have another trap set at my other place and they had been there about 18 out of 20 nights but stood me up the last 2 night. They have also started returning to my shooting stand and my bow is whining for stand time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GOt to, no one else seems to be posting on here lately.

Hey, far as the skipping a night goes. i have
a saying that apply's to such times.

NFF! You figure it out! HA!

Keep at it, sooner or later you'll catch 'em at it.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
Disappointed--hasn't been a hog or even a 'coon in the trap since I set it. Still coming to the shoot feeder though.

Oh well, guess I'll go out tomorrow night and shoot one.

Mowed the shooting lane and feeder pen at the local spot--grass and sunflowers were too tall to see/shoot thru, but no more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
3 hours in the stand last night and they stood me up!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dusty what are you doing wrong?

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well--haven't been at the far place for a while--no traffic. The local place, well, I mowed the shooting lane and inside the feeder pen, so that may have put them off for a night or two. I'll be out to check cams tomorrow afternoon but it is too hot to sit right now. Probably set the traps Friday night and check Saturday AM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Went to the far place and had traffic---so set the trap--with this result.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you, broke the spell huh?
How many on the camera?
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
At this place I have had 6 boars on camera---just boars. The other place has one sounder of 2 sows with little pigs, plus a boar or two.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If we leave a trap in the same place very long they won't go in it. Do you have that problem?

Posts: 11945 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
larry-i have had traps im the same place for quite a while and after a big kill and lots of blood it is sometimes a week or 10 days before they venture back in. But, a feeder inside the pen plus laying heavy bait trails to the trap gate and painting the ground gold inside the trap makes for appetite trumping caution.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are using smaller portable traps. That may be the issue.

Posts: 11945 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of portable traps too, and each has a 50-lb feeder on top sitting on a box which makes the corn drop inside the trap--sure beats going out to bait them every night. This one doesn't have the feeder installed (just the cut-off barrel base), but worked anyway. 12 shoats in there and my total for that one day was 21 caught.