Find
Notify
Tools

three more...with the bonded Speer 150
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

Took these 3 in October on the 13th, 23rd and last night (30th). The Speer 150 grain Gold Dot Bonded Blackout bullet in my 24" barreled 30-30 Contender continues to impress me.

I've tested it down to 1688 fps (bullet on right in photo) and got exceptional expansion. I'm running it at 2469 fps with a book load of CFE223.

And yes, this is the hog hunting forum, but that's what this load is intended for -- not to mention these coyotes were raiding the boneyard of hogs that met their demise here. Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great, am happy for you and to
see you're still out there at it.

Nice pictures too, all of 'em.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
Do keep count on the number of coyotes you've taken? Good shooting.
Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Bryan- I keep notes, but the only active/accurate count on coyotes is that I have taken 25 in the past 24 months. And that is without hunting or trapping as these have all been "incidentals" taken from near the house, so apparently the population density is/was through the roof as all were taken on our small farm.

I am disabled and have some mobility issues as well, so I can't get out there and hunt or set traps, which I dearly miss. I can't even sit outside at one of my shooting rests for very long, either. So the recent kills have been some unlucky 'yotes. Big Grin

Back in the 80s and into the 90s, when Texas trapping season basically ran December through January, I used to call and trap quite a bit. If memory serves, I generally took about a dozen per season (had access to a number of neighbors' places then), but one year, when I also had access to a couple places over-run with them in an adjacent county, I wound up with 88 -- by far the best I have ever done. I ran my line in the mornings, worked during the day and called in the late afternoons/nights. I didn't sleep much for those 2 months. Smiler

Some day, I may try and go through old notes and photos and see if I can get an overall estimate. I did that with hogs recently and am just a bit over the 500 mark. I only trapped a few hogs and did not count those in my tally. Hogs first began showing up here around 1998 or so. Around 2000, sightings became common. So for the first 6 or 7 years, I pursued them quite often. All those taken after that -- when my health went south -- have been incidentals as well and primarily shot from the front yard .

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get 'em Bobby---great pic on that second one--great coloration.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Great photos! I love the pic of the recovered bullets as well..those Gold dots are looking great at those impact velocities!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Good shootin'. This bullet may perform at extreme low velocities. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
and ANOTHER tonight...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good deal!

Is there enough of 'em around to
keep the gut and bone pile from
stinking?

Sure is a lot of fun to call them in.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Way to clobber 'em BT.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about that great looking Contender. The coloration of the stock in the marginal light makes it just look mean. Great photos and a great looking carbine Bobby! DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks, DW. That's a Revolution brand stock set from Marty at Haus of Arms. I have a couple other sets and love them. This one may have been a bit of a mistake from the factory as it appears the buttstock is "coffee" (which I ordered) while the forend is buckskin. I thought about sending it back to get matching tonalities, but the contrasting looks of the two sort of grew on me. Smiler

Here's one in birch:

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am down to two carbines and have one for sale. I have a 22 hornet that I bought from the factory, and a 6 mm TCU that I bought the barrel for . Every time I think I'm getting out of the Contender hobby I end up seeing something I like and I'm right back where I started. Nice equipment and nice shooting. Keep it up.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Over the years, the bullet guys have got the bullets for the 30-30 perfect to perform with the velocity of that caliber, bullet performance is always perfect in the 30-30 has been my experience on all game..

The 30-06 becomes a 30-30 at about 250 to 300 yards I suspect, as that makes it a pretty fair elk caliber to 300 yards with a good hit.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote