New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beginning to despise sounders
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Suddenly that is all that is showing up when I am there. When they come in it is getting harder to pick out an individual, being small and constantly on the move vacuuming up the corn! Went the other night an one came in. I picked out the biggest hoping it was the lead sow. Fire cleared, no pig. When down and looked, no pig, blood or hair. I look around a bunch but still nothing. Went back three days later and vultures are everywhere. Pig made it maybe 50 yards. How do you put a lethal hit on a 75 to 80 pound pig with a 416 Ruger and not draw blood? Went to my place last night and a sounder came in, maybe with out the lead sow they are just dumb. Took a bit to put the red dot of the reticle on one but pig down! 75 pound sow, 375 Ruger. I don't remember which way she was facing so not sure if what you see is the entrance or exit. The other side is worse. Bullet did not hit anything except may another pig. I went back this morning but did not find one, again who knows! So the New Year begins!

Posts: 696 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I am getting mobs of small/medium pigs, I like to get in my bow stand (20 yds) and I take my "tactical" 12-ga loaded with 3" magnum #4 buckshot or the Hornady Coyote loads (3" #2 shot) and blast them.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
There may have been blood or hair, but with a sounder, the way they kick up dirt and dust when they run can cover it up or make it very hard to detect, especially at night.

Keep after 'em...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know you like shooting those big bores.
I'd be using something like a .243 or '06.

At least you're seeing pigs, some are not
at all. Good shooting, at least you got
this one.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
There may have been blood or hair, but with a sounder, the way they kick up dirt and dust when they run can cover it up or make it very hard to detect, especially at night.

Keep after 'em...

Bingo. Also,in certain types of soil, it is often hard to see any such sign. Sand for example often clogs the wound.

Posts: 11943 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sounders will grow. Happy hunting. Shooting small pigs beats no shooting any. Right?
I shot a large boar at 50 yards with a .300 Rem Mag and there was no blood or hair. Some local Ranger got wind of a stink trail several days later and there it was just like yours, 50 yards away.
Wild guess. Vacuum at the bullet base closes up the hole with fatty tissue? Who knows. Happy piggin'.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote