New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rusty chin can!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As hot and dry as it has been around here, you would expect the pigs to by steady at the feeders. If they show up at all it has been very erratic! I do not like when sounders show. They are after all pigs! Very helter- sketler, eat all you can as quick as you can! Your spot is better than mine! Its just hard to pick good shot. Had a sounder show the other night with pigs ranging from 5# to one that looked 300! Wanted the bigger one but it would not come into the light, one grunted and they all ran. I never shot! Last night a small sounder showed. I picked a bigger one that looked like a sow. Almost like a running shot I knocked her down. Suddenly she started kicking up a cloud of dust! When the dust cleared she was gone! She did not run far, how she even ran I don't know! 375 Ruger to the crease! 117 pound sow. Its been a long dry spell!

Posts: 694 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice meat-er.
quote:
Originally posted by Live Oak:
As hot and dry as it has been around here, you would expect the pigs to by steady at the feeders. If they show up at all it has been very erratic! I do not like when sounders show. They are after all pigs! Very helter- sketler, eat all you can as quick as you can! Your spot is better than mine! Its just hard to pick good shot. Had a sounder show the other night with pigs ranging from 5# to one that looked 300! Wanted the bigger one but it would not come into the light, one grunted and they all ran. I never shot! Last night a small sounder showed. I picked a bigger one that looked like a sow. Almost like a running shot I knocked her down. Suddenly she started kicking up a cloud of dust! When the dust cleared she was gone! She did not run far, how she even ran I don't know! 375 Ruger to the crease! 117 pound sow. Its been a long dry spell!

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5092 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Which load are you shooting out of the 375R?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Good gracious, she looks huge! I thought you were going to say 250. Must be the perspective thing.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16327 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 250 grain Sierra Game King over Varget. Right at 2700fps. Been my go to load for years. Photos lie! If you get down low and several feet behind makes em look bigger. My crane scale does not lie!

Posts: 694 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, you are certainly not underpowered, Live Oak! Seems 117 is right in the sweet spot for an eater. Some day ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16327 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried to eat some of different lots! A sow like that will never get tender no matter long you cook it, at least from around here! Any thing over 100 pounds I don't bother with. Again around here they just don't get tender. I don't get a chance to shoot many around 30 to 40 pounds, round and well fed. In that range there is enough meat to mess with and it will cook ok. When you pull the trigger at 11:30 PM in the dark by yourself, they are all buzzard bait!!!!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
My sow around that size was delicious at least the backstraps were. She was lactating with a bunch of young uns.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5092 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote