New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thought I missed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There has been a distinct speckled belly boar hitting the feeder at the wife's place. Though it was very hot and humid I sat night before last. Creek blind faces southwest, evening sun is bad so I put up a piece of corrugated iron for an awning. Awning works great till you shoot at night! Its like a concussion in a ball of fire! Feeder went off and for where it is two really tall nice bucks hit the corn. They kept the other deer off! At 9:50 they left and a small buck showed but did not go in the pen. Then I saw him working just outside the fence on the left side. If he was the same speckled boar, he looked better on camera than in person! Took him awhile to get in to good light and I touched one off. Fire cleared no pig! 230 yards at night with a bipod on the Ruger 375! Walked to the barn got the truck and drove down there to look. No blood, hair or bone. You would think a 375 bullet would draw blood if it hit. Steep gully to the left with heavy yaupon and heavy brush where it falls off in to the creek. I looked with flashlight for 45 minutes and nothing. Went back this morning and smelled him. I did no go far enough to the right! He was laying toward the feeder, makes me think he went down in to the creek to the left, then came back for a look further right and expired! Vultures had already started so I did not get that close!

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What bullet are you using in the .375? It may be too hard for the target. I have a .375 on an -06 case and use 235 gr Speers in it. The pigs mostly drop on the spot.

Posts: 70 | Location: College Station TX | Registered: 06 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Some of these won't give good blood trails on certain hits. It took almost 25 minutes before blood came out of the entrance wound of the 308lb hog in the thread below this one. Fat and thick skin acts like an immediate tourniquet on these piggies

I need to get one with my bow soon but i'd hate to track it through these thick salt cedars here

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good-sized boar. Could you tell where bullet impact/exits were? Sometimes they can be dead on their feet and give no indication of a lethal hit.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9335 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still made into a Good hog.
Solves that mystery.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I first bought the 375 Ruger I tried several different bullets. Most were just too hard! Took the 250 grain Barnes tipped triple shock to Africa and they did well but not on pigs. Too may runners. I like the 250 grain Sierra Game King in my 375. I have had really good luck with the bang and flop with it. I have had them run before but there was at least piles of fire ants on stuff too small to really see! The Sierras really splatter coons bent on destroying my feeders!

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear this about the game kings.
I changed to them in the .300 Win for
elk just before I got sick.
Carried them one year and didn't get a
shot. This is the first report I've seen
on them.

Hopefully I can get back to hunting again
one of these days.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice one.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2