Find
Notify
Tools

moonlight bruiser
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

Late Monday evening, the south wind brought about the unmistakable scent of an old, rank boar. He was likely traveling the creek bottom, though, so we never saw him.

Tonight, with pre-frontal conditions in place, I had a hunch he may surface. Just after midnight -- on what was only my second attempt to look outside -- he did.

When I spotted the group of five hogs in the moonlight, the wind was from the east, and they were moving towards a lighted feeder. That set-up was absolutely perfect. But as things tend to go, "perfect" turned into "oh, crap!" as the wind changed to the north and carried my scent directly to them.

The hogs scattered like a covey of quail, but I was fortunate enough to pick up a dark blob as it ran parallel to the creek -- some 100+ yards from where I originally spotted them. He stopped on a small knoll, giving me just enough time to get the small, red dot of the BDC-3 reticle of the 2-12x50 Meopta onto the vitals. It happened so quickly that I don't even recall tripping the trigger. Even the gentle nudge of the little 6.5 Bullberry made me lose my sight picture in the moonlit conditions, so I grabbed the thermal out of my shirt pocket and did a quick scan. I saw one heat signal disappear over the steep embankment and could only hope that wasn't my hog as retrieval would be all but impossible.

But I was lucky. My hog made a short 25-30 yard run and dropped. He was out of sight from my vantage point but made for the simplest of retrievals as the tractor could be driven right up the the hog.

The 123 grain Hornady SST, which exits the 24" barrel at 2536 fps, broke a rib upon entry (the foreleg was apparently forward at the moment of impact), wrecked the centers of both lungs, ruptured some critical plumbing and then drove through both a rib and the scapula before exiting the hog. The view of the exit beneath the hide and shield was impressive. The hole through the hide, as is often the case, was rather small and bled only minimally.

To be honest, I was shocked to see an exit considering the size of the hog and the course of the bullet's path.

As you can see in the photo, the cartilage shield, while not as impressive as on some boars, was still substantial. With the consistency of very hard rubber, it can test the mettle of an inappropriate bullet in a hurry and slow an arrow or bolt rather significantly as well.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang nice!
I enjoy your posts.

Zeke

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Nice boar Bobby!

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Nice one. Nice pic of the shield structure too.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you Bobby.
Glad to see you're still out and
getting a pig now and then.

Great pictures too. Looks long in the
body and short face. OR is that camera
position as Saeed claims?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
George-

Camera angle can definitely make a difference. But it is wide angle usage that distorts perspective, and I don't use that for game pictures unless I am shooting straight down onto a flat surface/setup so that reality is not skewed.

Hogs were here at the feeder last night, but I hurt too badly to carry a rifle to the shooting rest or even walk those few yards, so they got a free pass.

After all the rain we got earlier this year, you wouldn't believe how dry and parched things are right now. If I can drag my carcass outside later, I will text you a picture of how the pasture looks.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Bobby, good pig and a nice story! Good on you!

Stay in the fight!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2255 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Whackmaster stacks again!

Good stuff Sir!

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Nice pig again. Be well, Packy.