New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bring enough gun!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Years ago I was into TC Contenders. I had several frames and several different caliber barrels. Sold or traded most, left with one frame plus a 223 and a 45/410 barrel. Started taking my 22 revolver and the Contender in 223. With my eyes the 2X EER scope is getting tough but I don't see much to shoot at anyway. Sunday morning a storm dumped hail here! Turned the wife's garden to mush and shredded our trees. I raked and hauled two level pickup beds full and still had one small tree to go! I got it raked and loaded in a black protein tub, decided to haul it to my place and check the camera. Sure more 10,2, and 4 pictures. I parked quartering to the feeder and pulled the card to look, the delete. A running white Ford diesel at 11:00 am, mosquitos are getting bad! Finished with pictures, before I hit delete I looked up and under the feeder was a sounder of little pigs! Behind the feeder was the running mate sow of the one I shot the other day at 11! I rested the Contender on the mirror frame and touched it off. 52 grain hollow point probably did not do much but I heard the thump of a hit! Put the card back and looked for blood. I heard the little ones grunting and milling around in the brush so I went after them. Saw them but never got a shot. I got turned around in the thick stuff and had to listen for the truck running. I went back this morning and saw three vultures flying in a straight line in the direction she ran. One circled and dropped out of sight. The next two just dropped out of sight in about the same spot! I was not going to see but will take it a hit!! Where is the 416 Ruger when you need it?

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Heck, even a little old AR in .450 Bushmaster would likely have anchored that sow... Cool

Let's see if I can remember most of the Contender barrels I have owned: .44 Magnum (short, light, octagonal barrel = ouch!), .30 Herrett, .45/410 (that was fun on clays) 6, 6.5 and 7mm TCU, .375 JDJ. Prolly forgetting one or two. I think I enjoyed the .30 Herrett the most.
If I ever was blessed enough to own another Contender, I think I would take a page from Bobby's notebook and make it a .30-30 carbine, loaded with the Barnes 110-grain Tac TX.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only one I regret moving was the 7-30 Waters. When Sierra still produced the 7mm pistol bullets that was the whitetail deer round! There were no pigs to shoot back then!

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote