Find
Notify
Tools

Pig Pipes, do they work?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted
I guess I should have asked this question before I built one but it was only about $40 worth materials. Anyone have luck with a pig pipe? I built one and plan on using it on one of my stands.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 6 inch pvc pipe that was 6 feet long. One end has a glue cap fitting and the other a screw cap fitting. The glue cap fitting has an eyebolt that attaches to a 6 ft. dog chain with a swivel snap.The other end of the dog chain is also on a swivel attached to a driven in ground steel pipe The pvc pipe has 1/2 holes drilled in a spiral every 4 inches. Unscrew the cap and fill with corn (Now about $10.00 a bag!) and three packs of cherry or strawberry KoolAid powder.The KoolAid is just an attractant. The hogs will root the pipe and some corn will come out, then they root it some more, then.....Then at some point you just start shooting.
It is an easy set up that works.

Posts: 1066 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ole Miss Guy:
I used 6 inch pvc pipe that was 6 feet long. One end has a glue cap fitting and the other a screw cap fitting. The glue cap fitting has an eyebolt that attaches to a 6 ft. dog chain with a swivel snap.The other end of the dog chain is also on a swivel attached to a driven in ground steel pipe The pvc pipe has 1/2 holes drilled in a spiral every 4 inches. Unscrew the cap and fill with corn (Now about $10.00 a bag!) and three packs of cherry or strawberry KoolAid powder.The KoolAid is just an attractant. The hogs will root the pipe and some corn will come out, then they root it some more, then.....Then at some point you just start shooting.
It is an easy set up that works.

Thanks, I just realized my title was wrong. I know how they work, I was wondering how well do they work. Anyone use the them?

one of us
posted Hide Post
We had a couple on our place in S. Tx and they work fine--hogs won't leave until they are empty, and it takes far longer to empty a pipe than it does for a mob to clean up the corn under a feeder. We used small plastic barrels (15-gal or so). One of them disappeared, and couple of months later I found it about 150 yds away in the cactus/brush.

Just be sure you have plenty of swivels on the chain.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just an observation on the subject, but one constant that keeps rearing its ugly little head concerning pig pipes, are phrases such as "Had"/"Used To", and that is just in conversations. From actually observations, I have been on many properties where plenty of evidence remained where pig pipes "Had" been used or tried.

Just my thoughts on the concept, nothing more. Yes, they are a workable alternative to timed feeders, but for the majority of people I have discussed their use with and again from personal observation, unless you actually live on the property in question or within a fairly short drive, you will spend a lot of time/effort/energy and $$$$$$$, for not a lot of success.

There are lots of drawbacks to pig pipes in my opinion, and that is all this is, just one persons opinion and others mileage will or may vary.

The two that come to mind first are listed below.

1. No control over how long the pipe will hold corn. This is especially true if a person is unable to check the pipe on a daily basis. A pipe filled on Sunday, will most likely be empty long before the hunter gets back out to the property by the next Friday afternoon.

2. No matter the amount of chain and swivels, hogs can and do find ways of tearing the things up.

It is a neat idea and if a person is able to be on the property daily it will produce results. I have just seen and heard too much evidence that supports the use of timed feeders and the benefits of being able to more closely monitor feed use and timing of when pigs will be at the feeder.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Build one out of the medium sized blue plastic barrels. Drill three 5/8ths inch holes evenly around the top of the barrel. Firmly attach a swivel to the top of the barrel with three feet of chain to another swivel, add a ring large enough to go over a T-post, drive T-post into ground and drop the ring over it. The barrels I am talking about originally held syrup for making soft drinks like Dr.Pepper and usually have two threaded plugs and a handle in the middle. I cut the plastic handles off and use the proper sized quicklink in the hole to attach the first swivel. I like to fill the barrel with a bag of corn, pour a box of strawberry jello powder in and the pour a bottle of corn oil on top of the powder. Works great and depending on how many pigs are on it it just may last a whole week. Awesome to put a game camera on too.

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Just an observation on the subject, but one constant that keeps rearing its ugly little head concerning pig pipes, are phrases such as "Had"/"Used To", and that is just in conversations. From actually observations, I have been on many properties where plenty of evidence remained where pig pipes "Had" been used or tried.

Just my thoughts on the concept, nothing more. Yes, they are a workable alternative to timed feeders, but for the majority of people I have discussed their use with and again from personal observation, unless you actually live on the property in question or within a fairly short drive, you will spend a lot of time/effort/energy and $$$$$$$, for not a lot of success.

There are lots of drawbacks to pig pipes in my opinion, and that is all this is, just one persons opinion and others mileage will or may vary.

The two that come to mind first are listed below.

1. No control over how long the pipe will hold corn. This is especially true if a person is unable to check the pipe on a daily basis. A pipe filled on Sunday, will most likely be empty long before the hunter gets back out to the property by the next Friday afternoon.

2. No matter the amount of chain and swivels, hogs can and do find ways of tearing the things up.

It is a neat idea and if a person is able to be on the property daily it will produce results. I have just seen and heard too much evidence that supports the use of timed feeders and the benefits of being able to more closely monitor feed use and timing of when pigs will be at the feeder.

Good feedback Randall. I'll plan on using a timed feeder on one of the stands. I have a buddy who comes out about 2 times during the season. I figured I'd set up a pig pipe when he comes out VS running 2 timed feeders. I'll let him hunt the feeder and I'll hunt the pig pipe. I'm just looking at it for supplemental feeding.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Anything that will help get a few shots at some pigs is worth trying at least once. tu2

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO,

Yup, they do.

JAFO,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Geedubya.

Posts: 1066 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way too many holes in that pig toy. 3 or 4 is good and cut only 1/2 inch to 5/8 of an inch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
10/4.

Opinions vary,

and BTW,

it works...............

I'd be happy to see pix of your's at work.........

just sayin'

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of pictures of dead pigs on my cell phones! I also have a video made on an older deer camera. The hogs learn to just roll the barrel around the tee post in an even circle stopping to eat the corn as they go with a couple of pigs following along. All very civilized till the barrel goes empty then they start knocking it around till it is completely empty. Sometimes the corn will last from weekend to weekend and this is ideal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must have done something wrong. Mine appears to be a deer pipe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this thread is old, but I have just come across it.

One of my clients from the States told me that he places a cow bell in a cage attached to the pipe, he says he doesn't have time to keep the pipe filled, but they learn that when the bell rings, there is food. He then just takes a cow bell to the stand, rings it, and waits for them to pitch up. He claims it works like a dream.

Posts: 73 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 10 February 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'll have to try that bell idea.

Posts: 3 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 21 April 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don't use the pre-perforated pipe; too many holes. 4 holes seems to be plenty. The whole purpose is to anchor the pigs in one place as long as possible. I've had them on camera spinning a 3' pipe around for 3 hours.

Make sure everything can swivel, is loose, and won't bind. Hogs are incredibly strong and if it gets caught in a bind they'll break something.

Posts: 14 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 08 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You buggers have just caused me to lose some good sleep trying to think of other applications in addition to pigs.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote