New
Find
Notify
Tools

More Access
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hogs move up and down the creek where I hunt/trap and I have often seen them across the fencelines. The neighbors now are running cattle on the place and when I asked the landowner what his thoughts were about getting permission to shoot across the fence he said “Well I’ll just call and ask.” The answer was yes so now I have a bigger opportunity when I see ‘em across the fence. Guy also said if I needed to drive in he’d show me how.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Good news!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometime it just takes awhile of being a good neighbor for them to respond. Go slow and don't over step!

Posts: 696 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LiveOak-I used to have access to the place to fish in a tank, but that was when I had an old friend at church. Since he passed on, the landowner hasn’t been as accommodating. The young guy who takes care of the cows is way more understanding. I don’t want to roam their properties for hogs but after a bit I may ask for permission to squirrel hunt on the East property.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Lucky you. I stopped asking permission to hunt buck around here after about 25 inquiries ending in no. Happy hoggin'.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope you have some good shooting Dusty.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lucky you. I stopped asking permission to hunt buck around here after about 25 inquiries ending in no. Happy hoggin'.
CB

I've had the same experience in the southeast part of PA.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2291 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Sounds great Dustoff. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Headed out tonight for a sit--winds are right and all the signs in the pasture indicate they are root-crazy right now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
And-here's how the sit turned out.

I walked down to a point where I could look both ways along the creek and got set up. Maybe 30 minutes later I see 15-16 across the fence where I recently got permission to shoot. Watched a bit and decided to move to a more advantageous spot. Got relocated and sat down at the base of a big pecan tree and just watched them. After about maybe an hour they had moved into range and I had relocated about 40 yds closer to the fence. Couldn't decide which one to shoot but finally picked out the target--what appeared to be a nice fat sow of 80-100 lbs. Touched off the shot, she squealed and took off limping--obviously not a head shot. I swung and when she cleared the trees I shot again and she went down, flopping. I continued to watch in case I needed to shoot again, and she disappeared without any further trace!!!

Crossed the fence and walked to where I thought I last saw her, scanning along the way---not a sign. Hmmm? Not far enough. Got to the spot and then saw the creek -- duh! She obviously flopped into the creek bed. About this time I see a truck coming so I flashed my light and the landowner's son came over--he was "just checking". We had a long conversation about pigs, deer, etc. and he started off and I scanned the creek and saw her about 10 yds away, still alive. One to the head and dead, and then the fun began. This is more of a gully than a creek bed--about 5' deep with steep sides, and 6" of mud in the bottom. If he hadn't helped, I'm not sure I could have gotten her out alone.

At any rate, got her on my truck and I headed to the field dressing site. What a job--this old girl had 1.5" of white fat nearly all over -- and was far more meat than I wanted or needed to complement the venison in the freezer destined to become jalapeno cheese salami. So I took the straps and hams and left the rest to the buzzards and coyotes---along with the 6 little ones she was carrying.

Results of the shots---first one broke a foreleg, and second one hit her in the pelvis, destroying it--neither being immediately fatal, requiring the head shot.

She is the biggest sow I've shot (196 lbs), and the fattest feral hog I've shot--and the reason I thought she was the right size is the fact the range was twice what I thought---night vision is not a good tool to judge distance. I'll be going back during daylight hours to do some ranging from the fence--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here I thought you were nice guy.

then you go picking on the fat girls!

at least you put her out of pain.

Nice pics too and not a wasted trip either.
You need to go back.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go back? For sure—there were bunches more with her.

And, I have my other spot all set up and ready now. Started the feeder Thursday and had a medium boar there that night. Amazing how good their noses are when it comes to free corn.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Live Oak:
Sometime it just takes awhile of being a good neighbor for them to respond. Go slow and don't over step!

Sage advice.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last night’s sit was different for sure. 10 minutes after I sat down the first one showed, but 200+ yds out. About 10 later I scan over my shoulder and see a bobcat about 60 away in the weeds. Wait—it’s a pig and I start swiveling for the shot. Then a second larger one shows and it’s obvious they are headed for their honeymoon . Before I can get set they are in the mesquite and no shot. Look back to where the first one was and they are coming. Winds are right so I took a stroll to se if I can spot the two-nada-so it was back in the seat to watch the sounder across the fence which has grown to 24-25 now, but still out of range. That are gradually working their way to me, when an 18-wheeler on the interstate about a quarter mile north has a blowout and they haul ham for their “safe place”. Sat another 30-min and called it a night.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too bad, hogs will be back.

Hope it wasn't a steering tire that blew.
Did he crash?

I drove right near a million miles and never
had one, saw several and almost tangled with
one that passed me then 1/4 mi blew the R one.
Man was I glad he'd gotten past first!

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
George--Didn't hear a crash and driving home, saw a rig pulled over maybe a half-mile west of the place. Those things sure are loud!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dustoffer---what state is all this happening in?

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
dustoffer---what state is all this happening in?

This is in Guadalupe County—east of San Antonio about 30 miles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info.

C&H Trans used to have a terminal about
10 miles E of the truck stop along I-10.

Found we could get a nights sleep out there
where we couldn't at the trk stop for all the
door knockers by the lot lizards.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight