New
Find
Notify
Tools

M O H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Latest new to me rifle courtesy of Desert Mule Deer.

K95 Blaser, 30-06 Springfield

had several boxes of 180 gr. factory Cor-lokt's that had been given me, so with time being short, I figured what the hey!

Seems the rifle likes 'em just fine.

Shoots them Minute of Hoglet!

entry just below the right ear. Exit on left side. Bang, Flop, DRT.

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Beautiful set-up there, GWB. And it seems to shoot as good as it looks. tu2 tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Really neat looking rifle. Another AR member hunted pigs with me earlier in the year, forget the caliber, but it was the same model.

Looks like you have a keeper with that one. tu2 beer

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randall,

I've wanted a K95 for about 10 years, finally snagged one!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle tu2

Is the stock neutral or cast right handed.

My next purchase is a blaser f3 or k-95.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've wanted a K95 for about 10 years, finally snagged one!

They are damn nice looking rifles. Congratulations.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been buying, selling and trading up since 1990. Sold a Merkel k1 in 7-08 and a CZ American in 221 fiereball to pay for this one.

I've spoken with the two previous owners in regards to the rifle and they spoke well of its capability. Hopefully it will reside with me for a spell.

ya!

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you disregard that ugly wood with those black streaks, it appears to be a nice rifle in the BEST caliber... {*>Wink... if you sell it you WILL regret it.

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
Mr. G; That is one fine looking rifle.
Who says pretty rifles won't shoot?
M

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
another one bites the dust!

I've hunted the hill country since 1999, but recently got on a lease with my son just south of Refugio, Texas.

First chance I got to sit out was Saturday eve. We'd been quite active in the three sections that are ours to hunt on, but what the hey, it was a beautiful eve and a chance to perforate a hoglet.

My son said a big boar frequented this area, but no luck Saturday eve, how-ever just before dark a sounder of 10 or so came trotting in. I waited and lined up two. Nailed this guy and knocked down the second. I extracted the shell and loaded up another round when the second pig got up and limped into the brush. It was dark by time I got to where the pigs had dropped. Did not find a blood trail for the second so I did not take time to do a search.

Got in the stand about 6:45 AM, Sunday moring. Saw all kinds of birds, but no hogs.

Ya!

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, if it looks piggy, you shoot 'em, right?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
another one bites the dust!

I've hunted the hill country since 1999, but recently got on a lease with my son just south of Refugio, Texas.

First chance I got to sit out was Saturday eve. We'd been quite active in the three sections that are ours to hunt on, but what the hey, it was a beautiful eve and a chance to perforate a hoglet.

My son said a big boar frequented this area, but no luck Saturday eve, how-ever just before dark a sounder of 10 or so came trotting in. I waited and lined up two. Nailed this guy and knocked down the second. I extracted the shell and loaded up another round when the second pig got up and limped into the brush. It was dark by time I got to where the pigs had dropped. Did not find a blood trail for the second so I did not take time to do a search.

Got in the stand about 6:45 AM, Sunday moring. Saw all kinds of birds, but no hogs.

Ya!

GWB

Awesome rifle but your blind builder needs an imagination!

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Having lived most of my life in Oregon, I am a stranger to blinds. What do y'all do while watching/waiting for game? Eat sunflower seeds and listen to the ball game with ear
buds? Just curious.

P.S. Geedubya, that really is a handsome rifle.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16275 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Having lived most of my life in Oregon, I am a stranger to blinds. What do y'all do while watching/waiting for game? Eat sunflower seeds and listen to the ball game with ear
buds? Just curious.

P.S. Geedubya, that really is a handsome rifle.

Sit still and be quiet is what I do. In good country there is always something out there to watch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
buds? Just curious.

Bill, not much on sunflower seeds, but I do take liquid refreshment and snacks with me when I set in a "stand".

IMHO a lot of hunting is according to local custom and is dictated by the nature of the quarry and the topography. I've done a few "paid" hunts in Montna, Colorado, and New Mexico, but most of my hunting is DIY on either my "farm" in the past or on "trespass leases in Texas. I've hunted east Texas, the Texas Hill Country and south Texas brush country. In much of these areas, the topogrphy does not in any way lend itself to "spot and stalk". Also considering the temps can be 90 degrees and above almost 9 months of the year, one can dehydrate rapidly and get themselves into trouble. Consequently when hunting deer and hogs, I find it a better time investment to hunt over "bait" or more commonly known as spin cast feeders. My buds all have nice comfortable box blinds. I tend to hunt out of tripods/quadpods or just take a folding chair and shooting sticks.

Here is an example.

I call this stand, "the canopy". It is located on the back-side of one of the highest hills on our lease. I can see to the horizon for near 200 degrees of the compass.

I never tire of the view.

The photo above gives an indication of the topography. This spin cast feeder is 175 yds below the stand under the "dot". It is a opening in the cedar that is about 30' in diameter.

and another view looking down.

and another view of a second feeder.

If you look closely, you can see a dead hog under this feeder which is also 175 yds down.

Now as to how I spend my time while in the blind. The canopy is the only spot I get signal on my phone. My other blinds do not get signal. So yes I listen to audio-books. I have an audible subscription and I will listen to audio books. I do take naps early in the AM before day break. I also take a DSLR camera and a couple lenses. I do much more shooting with a camera than I do a rifle.......

I usually get to the spot I plan to hunt 45 minutes or so before day-break and will generally stay "in the stand" till 11 AM or so. Sometimes I do a "10 to 2" hunt if not then back out about two hours before "dark-thirty depending on the season and temperature. I've always been lucky when it comes to killing and I am in the stand +/- 60 days a year, so there is no pressure to kill. I luv "being there".

ya!

GWB

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's a heck of a hunter's life you are leading, Geedubya. Congratulations. That is truly some beautiful country, where stand hunting makes a lot of sense. Your photo skills are outstanding as well. You and Saeed must be photo blood-brothers.

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16275 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't have said it better myself Geedubya!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got on a south Texas brush country lease near Woodsboro Texas.

Got there about 3pm last Thursday and was in the stand by 4 PM. Didn't have to wait long,

This guy came in about 5 PM. Planned to hit him about two inches behind/below the ear to break his spine, but he moved or I pulled the shot and caught him a skosh back and low. He took off running toward me like a shot. I had heard the smack and knew he was hit. I waited about 5 minutes then got down and went to where I believed the POI to be. Took a minute but I found some fresh meat. Started tracking and then a spot of blood, then a few more spots. By time I found where he had entered the brush, heading left, there was a pretty good amount of blood on the grass and bushes, evidence that he was leaking from both sides. He ran about 40 yds before he succumbed to the effects of the 400 gr. Speer out of the 45-70 High Wall.

a decent boar IMHO.

I meant to skin him out but two different havalon blades would not saw through the hide at the base of the tail, so I decided that I'd leave him for the buzzards and other critters that inhabit the bone yard.

ya!

GWB