New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wet Season pigs , .358
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Break in the rain so decided to do a walk around a local swamp. Drove in across a floodplain as far as I dared then walked the margin for a couple of KM's.
Pretty wet and the water levels were high. Found a set of fresh tracks, which gave me a bit of hope. Cut up a bit higher and continued on back towards the car. Wind was perfect so started checking all the cycads for fresh beds and ended up back near the creek.
Followed the creek and came across a wallow with plenty of rub sign around it.Fairly fresh but hard to tell with all the rain. Decided to follow the muddy trail away from the wallow.
Had only gone about 40m and spotted a small mob bedded under some pandanus.
No mucking around picked out the shoulder of one and let rip with the 358. It didnt get up from the shot , as the others broke out I dropped another on the run about 45m out.
Ran forward and dropped another as it made it to the margin. Two stopped in the timber as I dropped another two rounds in. Thought I missed the next shot and hurried the next running shot.
Made it to where Id last seen them and started moving forward slowly, found the boar down and on his last breath. I was stoked , finaly got to use the featherweight on pigs.
Set up for some photos then dressed out a sow for dog food and dragged her back to the car.
Heres some pics. Cheers Mick
1st
1st and 2nd
3rd
4th
wallow
rub near wallow
wet season beds near wallow
beds , higher ground
wet season run off creek
improvised drag
Styer having a look.

Posts: 104 | Registered: 15 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

somehow I don't think "oinkment" is gonna help the ones in the pix above very much.

Good Stuff there guy!

Luv to see your pix of perforated piglets.

JAPPF,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So what bullet do you prefer with the 358? I have an old BLR in 358 that will hopefully see some action soon.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In your BLR the 200 hornady spirepoints, will work well on boars. #3510.
The 250's work well also but opted for the 200 as they penetrated well with less recoil. The aussie ACP's wouldnt feed in my MLR.
The 185's /ACP's are about perfect for my featherweight. Looking forward to using them on deer.
Cheers Mick

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
love the pics 264

our hogs here are in hill country

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
358 is one of my favorite calibers

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Though I have taken many critters with it, my custom pig rifle is a M70 featherweight chambered for 358 Win. I generally use 225 Sierras. Along with the 264 WM, the 358 Win is my pet round.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of 264's great calibre. Both cals under rated. Cheers Mick
recent boar with 264

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet nobody tops this today!!
Thanks for the report and proof pictures.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Got an ol BLR now have owned a host of 358s loved every one of them...all were scary accurate.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mick:

Good to see you're still around piggin things up over there.

What velocity you shooting those 225 & 250's?

Got my .358U/m but, rails had been opened a tad much, wouldn't hold 'em down. Only got to fire 21 light cast .38 slugs with 10gr Red Dot fireforming loads into the trap in my shop at about ten feet. Hard to miss that, only shot one 90gr/250 and it was about like a .243 for recoil. Turned out to be a beautiful rifle. Should get it back in a week or two ready to roll. Then it's just waiting til I feel up to it and the weather cooperates. Have a bunch loaded up to form brass with and a few test loads for the chrono to sort things out.

Since you're up north, how's the supply of 2317 and ? ahh hell! 4831sc and H1000?? I don't know the ADI numbers yet.

I started with 7828 then was told it's not available in Darwin.

Thanks much, good to be back. Had the R shoulder replaced in Jan, doing well with both of 'em now. The back surgery was a total waste though.

Take care,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 264wm spitzer:
I have a couple of 264's great calibre. Both cals under rated. Cheers Mick
recent boar with 264

Thats a big heady bastard!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Hey Mick:

Good to see you're still around piggin things up over there.

What velocity you shooting those 225 & 250's?

Got my .358U/m but, rails had been opened a tad much, wouldn't hold 'em down. Only got to fire 21 light cast .38 slugs with 10gr Red Dot fireforming loads into the trap in my shop at about ten feet. Hard to miss that, only shot one 90gr/250 and it was about like a .243 for recoil. Turned out to be a beautiful rifle. Should get it back in a week or two ready to roll. Then it's just waiting til I feel up to it and the weather cooperates. Have a bunch loaded up to form brass with and a few test loads for the chrono to sort things out.

Since you're up north, how's the supply of 2317 and ? ahh hell! 4831sc and H1000?? I don't know the ADI numbers yet.

I started with 7828 then was told it's not available in Darwin.

Thanks much, good to be back. Had the R shoulder replaced in Jan, doing well with both of 'em now. The back surgery was a total waste though.

Take care,
George

George, Im running the 185 ACP 35 cal projectiles, at about 2700 fps.
Powders available in Darwin are 2213sc, 2217, 2209 and R22 these should work in your 35UM.
When are you coming over?
Cheers Mick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mick:
Don't know for sure, depends on my health. IF possible next yr at the soonest.
Had planned this yr but, am not able to do it and too late now even If I was.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote