THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    6.5BRM & Sierra 130 TMK team up for another piggie

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5BRM & Sierra 130 TMK team up for another piggie
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

This had to be the twitchiest, most skittish sow I've seen. A cat-and-mouse game finally ended around 4 a.m. after one fatal mistake by the sow, allowing me to get the dot of the Docter 2.5-10x50 behind the last rib and squeeze off on a quartering shot of app. 155 yards.

It was tough enough with just a half-moon and some intermittent clouds, but the hog's nervous ways -- dipping in and out of a slough and in and out of heavy grass -- made me hold off numerous times, and I about gave up when she disappeared for a few minutes, only to return and taunt me even more.

But when opportunity finally arose, the 130 grain Tipped MK performed admirably, taking the sow just behind the last rib, rupturing the stomach, heavily damaging the liver and blowing through the back half of one lung and the center of the other before exiting the amid the opposite-side shoulder. The exit was perhaps nickel-sized. She still managed a short dash of maybe 19-20 yards before tipping over.

No jacket shards or slivers of lead were found within the wound channel, yet another feather in the hat for this semi-new Sierra. So far, I have been impressed with this one when launched at just over 2500 fps.

Pain is still keeping me from sleeping, so I may just take one more look to see if any other piggies are in the area. Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9335 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nice work Bobby. So sorry about the pain. Mine lets me sleep in short spurts, but I don't live in a place where I could step out and take a shot.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby: Thanks for the info. Do you have any info on your Contender stock you could share? Thanks

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Another good sow. I saw you were on last night but got sleepy and signed off. Missed this until right now. Sounds like you have a good and tested load there. I don't want ferals here but would like to live where I could kill a few every now and then. If I got a big enough one I could do some bullet testing on dead ones. Texas does look good. Thanks again Bobby and Be Well, Packy.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobmn:
Bobby: Thanks for the info. Do you have any info on your Contender stock you could share? Thanks

The stock set is a Revolution that I bought from Marty at hausofarms.com They are available in numerous color configurations. I like them a lot. The best thing about them is that the comb height is more suited for proper eye alignment than some of the factory offerings and is even an improvement over Boyd's in that regard.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9335 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you are still knocking them down! Just too much going on right now for me to sit. Plus its very hot! EABCO.com has Contender stocks also. I bought one of the adapters for an AR stock. With a Magpol and a clip on riser, got the lop down to 12". Fits my grand daughter well!

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great to see you nail another one.
Sorry you can't sleep though. Makes
life more miserable than it is. At
least nearly every night I can crash
and sleep like a rock til I have to
get up to P in 4-7 hours. IF not for
that and this belly bag I could stick
with it 10-12 hours or more like I used
to do.

Fine looking rifles and stocks. I just
can't get to liking the shape of 'em
though. Just a personal problem is all.

Didn't know you were a lefty, just never
realized it. Not sure I noticed the
wrong side cheek piece before.

When game don't stand still long enough
it makes it more enjoyable to pull the
trigger when they do. One thing about
bullets is they sure don't take long to
get there and do their job.

Thanks for sharing Bobby. Maybe the heat
will start to let up soon. IT's been 100
or close for ten days up here. All this
summer has been quite a bit cooler than
most years. Only 3-4 of 103, none over for
a change.

Buddy came over Sat and we "HE" put up a new
swamper so it's cool in here again.

Kill 'em pard,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby: Thanks for the stock info.

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Another thanks for the stock info!

I'd let my Contender stock find a new home years ago (after building a comb riser out of saddle skirting) and you're definitely right: the "standard" comb dimensions ain't wonderful for scopes!

I may have to pick up one of these...I've still got a Fox Ridge Outfitters carbine barrel in .218 Bee that deserves playing with!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great looking coat on the ‘yote and nice rifles too.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby you're shooting the Tipped Match King and not the Game Changer is that correct?

I have shot the 165gr 7MM Game Changer but haven't tried the Tipped Match Kings.
The Cow Elk sure didn't like it.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palladin8:
Bobby you're shooting the Tipped Match King and not the Game Changer is that correct?

I have shot the 165gr 7MM Game Changer but haven't tried the Tipped Match Kings.
The Cow Elk sure didn't like it.

Yes, I am using the tipped MKs. I ran the GameChangers through their paces, but at the speeds of my barrel, those were a bit too tough for my usage and didn't give the tissue destruction I prefer in a wound channel. With the higher attendant speeds of a .260 or similar, the GameChangers will shine.

For years I have railed against the use of standard MKs on larger game, but I figured with the redesign of this bullet and the lower speeds of this rig, it just might be worth looking into. I tested quite a few in medium and then on varmints and vermin before unleashing them on anything larger. So far, I am thrilled with what I have seen. But again, I am pushing them only a bit beyond 2500 fps MV.

Below is a photo of how most looked when taken from test medium. I'd have to look back in my notes, but I think this one was recovered from 200 yards.

And even when a separation did occur, it wasn't disastrous. I noticed minimal jacket fragments or lead slivers and experienced more than adequate penetration in all instances.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ