Please post a link.

Not all of us can find it. TIA.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long winded crock of S_______! Whitetail probably cost us more money than pigs ever will! Whitetails spread ever known type of woody brush! Brush control costs me a lot of money! Whitetails are the state's darling so nobody wants to poison them! Every animal needs water, food and shelter just to survive. They need the same three in abundance to to reproduce. We will never be as deep in pigs as they say, impossibility. Pigs are just easy to hate. What they do is highly visible. There are other animals and birds that do as much and its "oh well" because we are used to it! In my view Texas Monthly is just about as liberal as it gets! This whole poison the pigs reminds me of the coyote hate in sheep and goat country. Remember how horrible 1080 turned out to be!

Posts: 696 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Live Oak you make some good points. And the "poison them" sentiment that so many have is ludicrous. But what do you expect when you have morons like Sid Miller in leadership positions? He's already tried bypassing FDA regulations by suggesting labels be falsified and got busted. As to being "liberal," I don't normally read Texas Monthly -- and they very well may be. But this article reeked of the other direction and really contained nothing that suggested liberal bias.

You are also right about 1080. In fact, back in my college days I did an in-depth research project & paper on its usage and highlighted how many more non-target animals than coyotes were being killed. You had to work hard to get those numbers because right-winged political leaders wanted all of that swept under the rug. Why? It was because big ranchers lined their campaign coffers with greenbacks.

It's the same with hogs: they don't want the public to get the facts. And some, like Miller, likely stood to gain financially from the poisoning campaign when he arranged his under-the-table deal with friends who ran the pre-appointed manufacturing company. To boot, Miller's agency had already given at least $136,500 in grant money to Scimetrics, the manufacturer of the warfarin product.

Our state is run by greedy, shady and highly-biased morons.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link.
Quite an article. Thought I would never get to the end of it.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put a bounty on them.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point. The problem is compounded by the landowners that want to make an additional profit by selling hog hunting leases, when they should be welcoming hunters onto their property. About 20 years ago, a buddy + I had access to the Steen corn pastures outside of Gonzales. Those hogs could destroy a field in one night. Old man Steen was happy to let us kill all we could. On one occasion, we had killed a sow + he came over + when we opened her up, she had 16 piglets. Well, even though he was a stout Southern Baptist, he started to dance a jig.

Posts: 4187 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately opening your pasture to unmanaged hunters these days ends up with scattered trash and beer cans, a cow step on can and you may lose her or end up with a big vet bill, My nephew preferred to trap hogs and haul them to the Saturday sale by the trailer load..
I had to manage my deer hunters and it was trying at times..There are two sides to this subject..Thank goodness I had no hogs in far west Texas, just Javalina, Mule deer, and Coues deer. BTW any genius complaining about the deer has never ranched and doesn't know squat about game managemnent or ranching. Its a primary income to be managed that keeps you afloat financially. and wild game is expensive to manage just like livestock. I might add feral hogs are an ivasive species and not natural to the state of Texas, the bright idea of certain individuals..Javalina are native to the land.Hogs cost the rancher lots of money state wide in Texas, they are not productive.

Hogs not only destroy pastures they are a predator and in Texas its not govment land its all privately owned and nobody Elses business and thats the rest of the story. Also keep inmind that not all hunters give a damn about YOUR ranch and create an image the good guys get scorned and it only takes one bad apple to ruin the basket..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41816 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote