Tools

A few recent boar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Three at night, one daytime.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well how about that!

This thread isn't dead after all.
Nice "harvest".
Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Care to share any info too? Where, weights,
gun etc.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All were shot at my lease, about 60 miles East of Lubbock in West Texas. The night hogs were shot with supersonic .300 Blackout handloads using the Bernes 110 grain ttsx/tacx and H110. Night vision and suppressors, of course, but the suppressors were only a convenience as these were all solo animals. The daylight boar was taken with a .300 WM Blaser topped with an aimpoint of all things; it was a kneeling shot at about 75 yards. The third pig was the largest, taping at 43” long and 53” heart girth, though you’d never guess from the picture. The top hog was also 43” long, but only 42” heart girth, which really surprised me. According to the charts the big one is supposed to be somewhere between 300 and 330 depending on whose chart you believe.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.
None look that big to me in these pictures, but I'm no expert that's for sure.

Good info though.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
That last Boar has quite the Wild Boar look !

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sarg:
That last Boar has quite the Wild Boar look !

He didn’t look all that big through the night vision, but grew quite a bit as I walked up to him. The daylight hog was probably the smallest and I’m reasonably sure he broke 200. It’s really hard to judge size on pigs, especially at night, when tired, etc., so I try to tape out anything interesting.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nice work. Were any of those boars worth taking backstraps from?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We actually had a ton of smoker sized hogs at one of our feeders, so I wasn’t going to bother with a big boar. Of course, we accidentally let that feeder run dry two days before we hunted it … Something about the best laid plans of mice and men springs to mind. Oh well, the next trip.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
All were shot at my lease, about 60 miles East of Lubbock in West Texas.

That would be somewhere in or about Dickens County. There be some good deer, both whitetail and mule deer, around them parts, too. No shortage of coyotes and bobcats; and the turkeys are usually abundant. But the quail have been scarce by historical standards in recent years.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s a great area, but very dry. We saw four or five nice bucks on camera this year; no giants though. The only mule deer buck we’ve seen so far was right off the highway, at about 5 AM one morning. Perhaps four or five miles from the lease, so they’re in the area. Lots of coyotes, as you mentioned and a sprinkling of quail and turkey. It’s not an easy property to hunt as the terrain is challenging. It’s very rewarding when you’re successful.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------