Find
Notify
Tools

Tips for illuminating feeder..
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
My hogs have over ran my deer feeders. They come in every night now. It's time to test some of my newer calibers and recover more bullets. They are too intelligent to come in during the day.

The lights scare them and they won't come in if there is a light at night. To add to the problem, there is a house about a mile away to the east and the west of the property...and a light at the feeder may be a beacon for someone on the county road to stop and take a shot during the night.

Is there a light that is on the market I can put "behind" the feeder...so the hogs don't have to walk into the light...but the background green light behind the hogs will allow enough light to pull off a shot

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a digital night vision scope and put up a motion activated IR light. You will be the only one who can see the light come on and the pigs will never see it either.

Posts: 70 | Location: College Station TX | Registered: 06 April 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I ended up making my own, you can build a much better set up than you can buy. Need a solar panel around 50W, 12v battery, charge controlled, and a LED flood ( I used a green 3w). Runs dusk to dawn and pigs will get used to it after a few days. Tried red but it takes way more current for equal like output compared to green

Posts: 62 | Location: Sugar Land, TX | Registered: 07 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by glocker17:
I ended up making my own, you can build a much better set up than you can buy. Need a solar panel around 50W, 12v battery, charge controlled, and a LED flood ( I used a green 3w). Runs dusk to dawn and pigs will get used to it after a few days. Tried red but it takes way more current for equal like output compared to green

I don't have the problem of road hunters or neighbors seeing the lights so I just use white lights--the battery-powered solar panel type with a dusk to dawn switch. Hogs get used to them in a week at most.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A thermal scope is the best answer, imo.

Portable and no one can see it.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
A thermal scope is the best answer, imo.

Portable and no one can see it.

Yep--and get a thermal scanner at the same time so you aren't continually swinging the rifle around to scan. I have both but still have the lights so I don't eat up so many batteries.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put up white lights, inform the Game Warden and bust the road hunters! I use two 10 watt 12 volt DC LEDs mounted on 10 foot Tee posts. Battery powered, solar charged, with a photo cell. I light the feeder but silhouette stuff in front of the lights all the time. Point the lights in and down but behind the feeder.

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote