Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation for 12 Gauge SxS "Hog Stomper"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I'm thinking about a 12 Gauge Stoeger side by side with 20" barrels for a hog stomper.

Any recommendations on factory slug loads or other options? 10 gauge, different brands, etc?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heres an interesting "12 Gauge Steel Slug ", I've been interested in (CA Hunting legal:Lead Free).

http://ddupleks.com/index.php/en/1276-cal.html

http://ddupleks.com/index.php/...-cal/monolit-28.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETPFBhZcWaQ

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's only one brand of slugs commonly available for the 10 ga, and they are the old style low tech design. Before you commit to 10 ga, you need to be very, very sure the Federal slugs will shoot well in your shotgun. FWIW, they shot terribly in mine.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
A step further, those Foster Slugs, while heavy at 1 3/4 oz are very soft. Lung shots would be fine, but I'm not positive of penetration on a large boar running right at you. I've never shot a hog except on the farm for meat. Then it was grandpa's 32 long handgun on the forehead.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Best for penetration were the first gen, wasp waist, .50 cal sabot slugs. I have shot them through 6 inch oak trees; they are hard lead. Will penetrate clear through a deer from stem to stern but impart no energy so no knockdown power. I might still have some.....

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Best for penetration were the first gen, wasp waist, .50 cal sabot slugs. I have shot them through 6 inch oak trees; they are hard lead. Will penetrate clear through a deer from stem to stern but impart no energy so no knockdown power. I might still have some.....

These were in 12 ga. not 10 ga correct? I'd lve something like that in a 10.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
12 ga; the original police slugs; not sold to the public. Made for cracking engine blocks.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
For a smooth bore application go with the Brenneke. They hit like a sledge hammer. If you somehow intended to go with a set of rifled barrels the options of all of the sabot slugs are available.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Macs B's answer. They are better than buying anything exotic. They just work.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, with a smoothbore, you've got to go back in time a bit to the older Foster or "Pumpkin Ball" type sluga used before rifled shotgun barrels.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless pigs grow feathers out there ass use a rifle.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I don't think it is that bad. Try the Brennekes, they will do the job well. As to the old style Foster type slugs if you use the heavier ones I bet you will get what you need out of them. I have taken several hogs with a smoothbore 20 gauge pump using Winchester rifled slugs and they killed just fine. Your problem will likely be that you won't be able to get both barrels to shoot to the same point of aim. My hog shotgun now is the same pump shotgun but I am shooting Remington Buckhammers out of a rifled barrel that is scoped. These 1 ounce slugs at 1500 fps plus are plenty enough for hogs at reasonable ranges, 75 yards or so anyway in my testing.

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
My 470NE double rifle works quite qell on 200 plus pound hogs! Wink

However I have used my 16 ga/8X57JR cape gun on hogs and deer and the Brenneke slugs penetrate well, and are very accurate in my cape gun, and will pring right beside the rifle barrel at 100 yds.

The Brennekes kill large hogs like the hammer of Thor!

One thing I have found over the years is a double barreled shotgun that will regulate both barrels in the same county with slugs is a very rare thing indeed!

..................................................................... lol

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chiappa arms has a triple barreled 12gauge shotgun that looks interesting. Winchester PDX1 ammo is pretty impressive.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I played with some of the double ball herters shells out of a short barreled double coach gun.
(two full diameter twelve gauge balls in one shell).

At 10 yards, they put both balls a few inches apart right at point of aim, and looked promising, but by 20, they were a foot apart for me, and by 30 I was only hitting the target with one of the balls, and it was nowhere near point of aim.

Same gun regulates foster slugs pretty close together, but prints both barrels about 15 MOA right of point of aim, so they dont do too well either.

I now just use 00 buck in the coach gun, which prints surprisingly tight patterns, nicely centered on POA.

Brennkes sound like they are worth a try, but whatever you pick, definitely experiment with it at the range, my coach gun was pretty fickle! (Savage 311 with and 18.5" set of barrels.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
If your object is to kill hogs with a shotgun, get an 870 with or without a rifled bore. Holds more rounds (5 for hogs) and will absolutely be more accurate.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a shotgun, 12 or 20 ga, Brennekes are the best.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.cdnnsports.com/unif...32.html#.VPkiO13wY9Y
not a sxs but an over under 12 gauge rifle.

D R S S member as of 4/30/2014.

Posts: 56 | Location: Spring Hill, TN USA | Registered: 04 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that's pretty cool!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a sears 12 ga aka savage 311, that had 30 " barrels that wouldn't pattern worth a crap. I cut the barrels to 22" and for fun, siliconed rifle sights on it and tried it. Reg win slugs were creampuffs and didn't shoot well at all. I had a couple boxes of federal 50 ca sabot slugs. They shot within 3" of each other, kicked like hell too!
I thought it might be a neat hog gun, but alas, no hogs around here so it sits in the corner. I forgot to mention, this was at 35 yds.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I have said coach gun and load it with 00 for exactly this purpose. Range for clean up work tends to be in short feet not yards... honestly my pistol would do the same work but a hand full buckshot goes miles for my piece of mind

a friend of mine put remington sights on his... for one barrel ... and could hit a critter some distance ... and buckshot in the other barrel... for the same reason

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote