THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    Warthog & Bushpig & European boars. Last one added.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warthog & Bushpig & European boars. Last one added.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Larry there is an outfitter using dogos for leopards ,google it .I saw several dogos in south africa .

Yep took a look and was surprised by all the material there was concerning Dogos in Africa.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have very much enjoyed this thread. I will be hunting in the Limpopo region with my family, in less than two months!

I love hunting warthogs and will be excited to see my three sons hunt them for the first time!!

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Jason, Thanks for your comments! Have a fantastic hunt with your sons! My only tip would be "dont shoot the first one you see". There are plenty around. Limpopo is a great region for warthog and if you take your time I am sure you'll get a few great pigs!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2255 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate your advice!

My wife shot 2 (Warthogs) and I shot 1 on our first trip to Africa.

They, along with zebra, were funner to hunt than ever expected!

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
The end result - recently collected from the taxidermist!

Posts: 2255 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Beautifull my friend clap

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Thanks very muchos Juan. Gives me a smile whenever I look at him !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for a Great post
loved the photo's
Some Grand old warriors

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
And here one of the recent bush pig mounts from the taxidermy.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Charlie i need to visit you soon......before you came here i want a bushpig and a warthog like yours

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie:
Damned impressive bunch.
IF that ivory was sold wouldn't it be enough to buy another double rifle? Kidding of course, sure a bunch of it.
Love that ugly head though, fine display for sure. Those two red one's look like they were smiling for the camera.
Go get a few more now and post those pics too.
Never tire of looking at such game.
Thanks much for sharing with us.

Larry: that one you shot, looks like a head shot from here. y or n?
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No George, the shooting was not that precise unfortunately. The boar was giving the dogs hell, cutting and slicing. My first shot was taken to put a slug in him somewhere, anywhere. Turns out later in the lower abdomen. The second shot was a complete miss as he took off, the third shot was into the shoulder as the dogs had him bayed up again.

In my defense, all the shots taken were in haste to save the dogs, and complicated by the presence of the dogs. Worked out ok that time.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Ivory on the coffee table. A few of the pigs ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie, is the Krieghoff a side-plated boxlock, or a sidelock? Nice piece either way.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow what a plateful!
Thanks for the reply and pics.
Dandy collection for sure.
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie ,you make me jealous . Wink

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar professional hunter

Posts: 331 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Biebs - its in fact neither and both. The Krieghoff has a manual cocking action that is operated via a lever the top of which is located on the tang. So neither box nor side but the one I have is a "Krieghoff action" behind engraved sideplates.

Mfischer - I would never want to make anyone jealous! You must also come to Africa and hunt some pigs yourself !!

Cheers

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Just picked this one up from the taxidermy -

He's now hanging with the crowd ...

Cheers

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
In the SAA Lounge at ORTambo after an amazing weeks hunting - the highlight of which had to be two mornings of hunting / chasing bush pigs over a brilliant pack of hounds! One day was in indigenous bush and the second in the cane! Pictures and a report to follow shortly.

Oh yes, I also took a couple of warthog boars with the .375 Krieghoff and will post pics of them too.

Was a great week!

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

A week of hunting in RSA - walk & stalk in Zululand and Natal, with bushpig in the daytime and then a couple of days of chasing bushpigs with hounds in the Midlands!

Here some pictures

One bushpig boar with a .308 during the daytime, one sow bayed and shot in the brambles at 5 m with the .375 and a couple of warties walked and stalked with the .375.

Was a great week !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie:
What a pig killer you are!

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics.....

Good stuff!

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

A couple of warties this past weekend taken in Namibia with the .375 Krieghoff! 25 minutes apart and both around 40m out. Both dropped on the spot and lights out with .300 grain Norma Oryx Bondeds.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I love Charlies posts everything is perfect and with gentlemanly class ,rifle ,binos, trophies,safari clothes and beautifull enviroment . The reports are very interesting you cannot stop reading ,a man that reminds me men of the old East African PH Asociation .Thank you Charlie .

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Plus 1, Juan is right, you have the best adventures!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Very nice pigs and hogs Charlie, congrats!
I've shot a good number of Warthog's but the Bushpig's eluded me recently. I'll be back next year with a plan. I had this one mounted due to the spread of his ivory Smiler

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Here's an old warrior taken this July in Namibia. Tusks worn down to almost nothing, missing his left eye. Old as dirt. Would have lasted much longer. Far from the biggest but I like him.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Both of the above are great looking warties ! I too would have shot the second one in an instant !

Congrats.

Charlie

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Charlie, I'd have to classify some of your hogs as the "Saber-tooth" variety Smiler

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Here a couple of the Mauritania 2016 warthog that my wife and I took - just to Keep this thread up to date!

Looking forward to hunting warthog in South Africa in March and Botswana in September 2017 !!

Charlie

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Reviving this thread post Photobucket crash using new pic software.

This pig taken in RSA Pongola 30.06 Tikka. Dropped to the shot.

Cheers

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Got in a short weekend hunt in Ladysmith RSA earlier this month.

Tracker spotted a pig under a thorn tree in long grass. Not moving. Sleeping. PH and tracker said that a large boar lived in the area and it could be him! I put a 30-06 round between the eyes at about 75 yards off sticks!

An old sow with 4 inch tusks Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

But a fun weekend hunting nevertheless !

(Took a couple of impala too)

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys have a sounder of mounted pork. Thanks for sharing. Can't afford to go so it is good to live vicariously. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

Here a couple of the Mauritania 2016 warthog that my wife and I took - just to Keep this thread up to date!

Looking forward to hunting warthog in South Africa in March and Botswana in September 2017 !!

Charlie

Sir,

that is an exquisite looking double rifle. Would you be so kind as to provide details in that regard?

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

GWB, Very complimentary sir. Thank you.

The one is a Kipplauf which my wife shoots - a 7x65R Doumoulin, Belg gun from the 1970s with some classic engraving and topped with a Swaro glass. A great gun to shoot.

The other is a German double made by Wolf in the 1980s in 8x57 JRS topped with a Zeiss scope. I use it for European driven shoots and hope to take it to Scotland one day chasing stags!

Here a couple of better pictutres.

Cheers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

GWB, Very complimentary sir. Thank you.

The one is a Kipplauf which my wife shoots - a 7x65R Doumoulin, Belg gun from the 1970s with some classic engraving and topped with a Swaro glass. A great gun to shoot.

The other is a German double made by Wolf in the 1980s in 8x57 JRS topped with a Zeiss scope. I use it for European driven shoots and hope to take it to Scotland one day chasing stags!

Here a couple of better pictutres.

Cheers.

I have a thing for Kipplaufs. Your wife's gun looks to be Exquisite. Do like the way the leather sling is set up on that gun also.

and my latest.....

Merkel k3 Extrem, 270 Win.

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

GWB, Great looking K3 ! And a great caliber too. Love the composition on the rattler !!

You use it for hogs ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,
I just got it in. I shot it for zero and its a shooter. Took it with me last week to my lease but did not end up sitting out for critters. Mostly worked in the cool of the morning and evening when critters are moving,and stayed out of the heat during the middle of the day. Hope to blood it soon.

ya!

GWB

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Looks a dandy and a great scope too !

Happy hunting !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Looks a dandy and a great scope too !

Happy hunting !

That scope was off my K3 Jagd Stutzen in 308 Win.

I had picked up a deal on a Schmidt & Bender 3-12 x 42, FFP with the A9 Reticle. As with European style rifles, I'm becoming more a fan of First Focal Plane Scopes. However, I did not have the 30mm saddle mounts when the rifle arrived, so I purloined the scope from the Stutzen for that piicture.

A day or two later the 30mm mounts arrived. Here it is with the S&B........

gonna be a shooter!

ya!

GWB