New
Find
Notify
Tools

Noah's ark
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Decided to sit last before the biblically flood today! AS my vision has gotten worse I has been installing brighter lights. Now using 60-6500 kelvin or daylights. Pigs do not like them! Went back to one cool white and one warm white. The pigs are coming back! Its tougher to see a black pig but better than no pigs! Put a 4 power EER on the Contender. If a coon showed it would be .223 time. Cows were at the feeder, put everything in the tower and ran them off with the ATV. It gave the Thermocell time to work. Before the feeder went I saw something moving at the feeder. (Gotta lay off the Boost) It looked like some mythical reptilian creature was crawling around! Binos revealed a sounder of little tiny pigs milling around. There were two pure white ones making it look like it was slithering! I could not get on one with the Contender and the 416 Ruger was too big! No corn yet, they left. 9:26 a lot bigger pig came in. Touched the Ruger off, fire, but a resounding thump! It went down but jumped up and ran. Lots of blood and lung where it stood but very little blood trail. 145.9 pound sow. Mud was catching blood on the inlet, intestines blocked the exit. Sure there were buns in the oven!

Posts: 692 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a belly full of piggies.

Good shooting, go get a few more.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will be awhile, every where is very soggy! I got her out just before it started raining again, that's why no chin can! The ground is saturated. The 3.5" we had last night and this morning could only run off. Lots of street and road closures. Both water gaps at the wife's were down first 3.5". This 3.5" probably buried them! I am still thankful for the rain!

Posts: 692 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, we knocked back a good number between the 3 sows tu2

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Well done!

We had to leave for higher ground and stay in a near-by hotel. This is a view from the yard -- and the water kept rising. It did not make it into the house, though.

I'll post another photo later of the same view from just before we left. In the foreground, that slough already has about 10-11 feet of water in it. In the background, the water within the creek banks is about 26-28 feet deep -- LOTS of water coming through at a high rate of speed.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That's over 150 yards of water.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wow. This makes our "coupla inches" here in the Rolling Plains seem like a light drizzle.
Nice work on the sow, LO. With all that muck, I am guessing you didn't feel obliged to take the heart girth measurement.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Cross ground, deep, and fast -- GTFO

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mosquitos were too bad for much. Several tried to buck the thermocell! It was hot and steamy trying to drag her out of the brush! Bobby looks like the creek at the wife's! Hers is 100 yards bank to bank! It went down but next day had another 1.80 inches. Back out of the water channel but not bank to bank! Maybe tomorrow I can see what I can salvage of the water gaps!

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Big sow! Congrats and thanks for writing it up!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote