New
Find
Notify
Tools

trap design
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
we are going to build a new hog trap as our corral type one with the guillatine type door is trapping too many deer. young ones too that are too small to jump out. i am tired of having to prop the door open while they go crazy inside. so, my son has built several "shoebox" design traps for others but we are discussing a door type to use. any suggestions appreciated.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jaeger door. Cell phone triggered. Camera sends photo you trip the door.

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok, i googled that and got a lumber company

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John---here's the gate Live Oak mentioned---you do the triggering after getting a signal. Little possibility of trapping deer. I've caught a few that I had to release, but most just jump out. I also caught one in one of the box-type traps and she was a battered lady when she finally got out.

Here's a pic of the type of door/gate I like--

some say that once the gate is tripped and dropped, other hogs outside will push in thru the gate, but I can't confirm that.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i assume its a commercial made gate?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is- and the cage trap is the same design and commercial also.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ah....i found it! its jager, not jaeger. shoulda looked a little more. thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
update....i called JAGER and described the gate pictured. he said they ONLY sell an 8' wide version and theres lots of "pirated" copycats out there using their name and they have several lawsuits pending right now. not trying to stir up shit about something i know nothing about, just reporting what i found out. 8' is way too big for what we need. i like the one pictured a lot better.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
8' might make them more apt to come into the trap. Be Well, Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
we settled on a C or CIRCLE trap. ground is soft from recent rains so T posts went in easily. baited it and left it wide open.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at one of the round swine saloon traps.

What are you baiting with, soured corn?

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
normally corn with molasses poured on top. but was out of molasses. we were sitting around on a truck tailgate having a few cold ones after we finished and decided we needed to pour a beer on the corn pile. the beers was bud lite, corona, and dos xxs. after a lotta discussion it was decided that since the bud lite was the "king of crap" beers, the guy drinking that had to pour his on the corn. so we drove off real quick as he was pouring his last 2 beers on the corn so we didn't have to give up any of ours. was a fun day. he had to close the property gates on his way out too. snowing now and 33 deg so no way am i gonna go check for activity at the trap. very few of the people here have ever seen snow i'm told.