New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Runner
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well not to far this time! I put corn in the feeders and added a solar charger system to this feeder. Wind was to be right but with all the commotion around this feeder I did not think anything would show. Wrong! About 9:00 black pig shows up but he is real jumpy. I could not get a good shot before he takes off. Gone, then I notice a shadow on the left side of the feeder. Strange, at this feeder they always come in on the right rear. He stood broad side just a little too long and I touched off the 375 Ruger! When the fire cleared I saw him running out the right back of the pen. Waited a few then went down there. Had a small streak of thin blood on the ground. It appeared to had soaked in to the sand already! Shined the flashlight out the back of the pen, there he was! Maybe 20 yards piled up. Broke the right front leg with a heart shot.

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
Nice pig.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Well done. I keep telling myself I am going to get solar lights for the feeder but has not happened. A few years ago, I did get two of the Kill lights, but they were set up with batteries and ran through them mighty quickly.

There's already a solar panel on the feeder to change its battery, so adding a light should be pretty simple. I just need to get it done...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby--just put one of these up at a feeder. Plan on hunting tonight weather permitting. If not tonight, first night it is good--report will follow. I tried lights on the same battery as my feeder and panel---sucked the batteries down.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/eL...E805W-SFLH/302035493

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

posted Hide Post
There's something about those big ol' black hogs. When they sneak in at night to your feeder they always give me the willies.

Posts: 11 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried many different ways, this last setup works best for me. I set two 10 watt daylight LED lights up on 8 foot Tee posts pointed to the middle of the feed area with a 12 volt photo cell. They light better without shadows and block sight back to the blind. 80 watt solar panel through Walmart tied through cheapest extension cords I can buy(just for wire). A $9 regulator and the least expensive deep cycle battery I can find. Big black plastic Oreilly battery box on a cinder block stacked in place. PVC conduit if you have wire chewing cows! Comes on at dusk, goes off at dawn, lasts for years. Hundred yards or more see the reticle just fine! See above picture for results! He He

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried the light last night---no hogs but 'coons under the feeder easily visible and no problem putting the reticle on them. No hogs though, so I'm going back tomorrow night.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Shooting them through the heart or lungs usually yields another runner, but no meat damage.
The two below were shot that way at about 20 yards with a 7mm-08 and both ran through the woods for about 40 yards before expiring. These were my grandsons first two hogs and he was very proud(as was I).

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote