Find
Notify
Tools

Night vision & hogs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

Don't recall a thread on this but may have overlooked plus what better place to put this than on the hog / pig section to share some thoughts and experiences.

I am new to the night vision world and have got myself a Leupold LTO Tracker monocular plus a Pard NV007. Combination works well for me using the Leupold as a scan every 15 mins or so from the Kanzel or high seat or when I hear something. And then the Pard when I know something is out there.

The Pard took a bit of getting used to as the instruction book was a waste of time, so it was youtube tutorials and learning by doing. Not using the wifi or video functions yet but likely will in time.

What are you using and whats great or less great?

Cheers

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use this scope on my AR. No complaints whatever.

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/...?variant=42382876437

I use this hand-held scanner (or one similar) which I bought after trying to use a $500 night vision scope as a scanner.

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/...riant=15971311255626

Battery life could be better on both devices but that is a minor issue. Like you, I hand-scan only about every 3-5 minutes as I am in very brushy location and can't see the hogs until they are really close.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m running a Flir Breach as a spotter and Pulsar N450 on the rifle. I don’t think much of the short battery life in the Flir but for a pocket unit it seems to have a good detection range.

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I wish there'd be a very simple thermal scope available -- something without wi-fi, bluetooth, audio, video, auto bullet compensation, multiple reticle choices, etc. All those bells and whistles run up the cost of those units, I am sure.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Agreed Bobby. I don't want the video recording capability OR all of the other digital features. My friends and I were tricked into buying the ATN X-sight II HD scopes and we were not impressed. Amazingly we were able to re-sell and not lose money on them.

If you jump into Thermal or Night Vision I would definitely make sure you buy a quality one to begin with. The $699 range wasn't worth it

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went straight to the XM50 series at $3000+ Got recording capability though I haven't bought the video recorder yet. I did buy a different mount as the original one didn't hold zero well.

And, as I've posted before, I tried a NV scope to use as a hand-held scanner in the $500 price range--no go. The company took it back for full credit and I bought a thermal scanner--at $1600 or so and worth every penny.

My scope has all the bells and whistles but I found a setting I like---white hot and a white crosshair reticle with a black dot. I tried the black hot setting but you can't make out details on a hog, such as ear/eye and that is important as an aiming point. White hot lets me do that.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"