New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hog Hunter Down - Gatogordo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got a call from Charlie's wife, Jen, an hour ago. She said he had a heart attack. I believe he died Tuesday, although I wasn't listening that well. Jen doesn't call me, so when I asked, "Is Charlie OK", I knew before she answered that he wasn't.

My understanding is that his funeral service will be Saturday.

I had a feeling something was wrong. Charlie hadn't answered recent emails, and he never failed to give me his opinion.....and quickly.

He was planning on working his feeders, getting ready for the season.

For those of you that felt his stinger on occasion, don't worry, we all did. He was opinionated, and generally he disagreed with yours, but he was a good-hearted friend. He would chew on you at every opportunity, then turn around a do something so gracious that you couldn't believe it was him.

Honest to a fault. Helpful if he felt you needed it. He loved his family and bragged on his kids at every opportunity. I felt I knew them, through his stories and updates.

I admired his respect for nature and the game that shared his ranches. He believed everything deserved a little space, even his hogs.

I'm glad I met Charlie, and wish we had spent more time together. He could be rougher than a cob, but had a wealth of knowledge that he was glad to share, whether you wanted it or not.

I will not forget his kindness in allowing me to hunt on his place, and be a part of his world.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no no no i don't to believe it the world is dimmer

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a brief update. Charlie was cremated in Longview, Texas. There will be a visitation in De Kalb, Texas on Saturday at the Bates Family Funeral Home. No service per se. Charlie was 69.

His friend Randy says Charlie had both a heart attack and stroke. An ambulance took him to a hospital in Tyler. Charlie's family gathered, and the doctors told them, based on tests and brain scans, he would not regain consciousness. The decision was made a little later to remove him from life supports.

I feel Gato died about how he would have liked. He was at his computer (probably writing me an email indicating how wrong I was on some subject). Like most of us, he wouldn't have wanted to have lingered, or have lost his mental faculties. I think he lived life large, and deserved to just flip the switch at the end.

His obituary describes him as a self-employed rancher. Hell, he was more than that. To those that knew him, he was a character, one of a few you will meet in your life that you'll never forget.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Sad news, indeed. I had the occasion to meet him twice. Each time, he had bought something I had listed and always said "Hold it for me. I'll be headed through there in a couple months and will come by."

We talked more about family than hunting. He left no doubt how much he loved his family and how important they were to him. And yes, he was indeed a character -- no doubt about that.

RIP, Gato.

Sending prayers to his family and many friends...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never met the man but greatly enjoyed his posts. Sorry to hear he is gone.

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP

Posts: 11956 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, now that really makes me sad. I pray for his family.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
never had the opportunity to meet him in person, but I bought an old Remington pump rifle from him, ammunition also... and several boxes of books.... the world is a lesser place, RIP!!!

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Condolences to all his family and friends.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry to hear this.

I met him once when he came through Dallas to buy a Win Model 92 from me.

Condolences to his family.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Very sad to hear. I enjoyed his posts.

God Bless his family.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Man this is sad news,my condolences to his family.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

I am glad to have known him on AR. Will be missed.

Thoughts and prayers.

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keyboard acquaintance only for me, but he is missed.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear this. You never had to wonder where he stood on an issue. I would have like to share some BBQ with him. It must be a great loss for his family.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP, CAT

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Oh my lord. I can't believe it. He had a gruff exterior but a very large and warm heart. I don't know what to say. Damn it all. Had some wine set aside to take him that I was not able to deliver last year due to events here.

Oh hell.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Oh my God hunted several times with his son Adam at my farms .We were great friends he was a spectacular wingshooter having competing many years in skeet .Rest in peace Charlie Tuppen ,ill see you in the Valhalla .
Cheers Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gone too soon...rest in peace.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sorry to hear this. You never had to wonder where he stood on an issue.

Damn. Ain't that the truth! He was something else. He will be missed here. RIP Charlie.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago after Walterhog banned CAT, from the Crater, I asked him if he wanted me to speak to DRG on his behalf. He cussed me up one side and down the other for even suggesting such a thing, and told me under no circumstances should I even dare!

I think it would be interesting if Saeed or DRG could/would tell whether his posting privileges in the Crater were ever restored. I do not recall him ever posting there after his banishment.

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A year or so ago he had told me he was still not allowed. Wore it like a badge of honor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great loss. just shared some pm's with him a couple weeks ago. Always looked forward to his posting.'

Please post a link to his obit.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terrible news. I sold a rifle to him years ago on this forum and got the impression is was an ornery old bastard. Then several years ago I was in AR and posted a question about hunting hogs in AR. Gato graciously offered his place if I wanted to drive 2 1/2 hours to hunt a bit. Very generous and very particular on how things should be done. I was fine with that and just visited this spring for another short hunt 5 yrs later and had a great time with him, Jen, and Randy. All quality folks. Charlie was extremely intelligent and hard-headed as anyone, and I enjoyed every minute of visiting with him at his hunting ranch. It was a special place that I was in awe of both times I visited.

When I left he mentioned for me to hurry on back and don't wait another 5 years as he didn't think he'd make it that long... My condolences to his family and friends.

Rest in peace my friend.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Very very sad to hear Charlie is gone. I hunted his place for hogs a couple days last year and he was a little abrupt at times yet I felt very comfortable around him the time I visited. His sidekick at the ranch I had hunted - Randy was another good guy. Gato was cracking jokes the second day I hunted and I got my first hog there and I'll never forget Charlie Tuppen. Under that gruff exterior was "one of the good guys".

Rest in peace my friend. Godspeed to all his friends and family.

custombolt

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a post from him back in May in the subforum.

I did not know him, but enjoyed his reports. My heart breaks for his wife. If anyone here knows them personally tell her she is being exalted.

Posts: 10832 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
We lost a good one. I learned a bit from him. Unfortunately never met him. Packy

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Charlie has flown into the sunset - God Speed .

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The world is more grey today.
I write these words with tears flowing,.
We never met in person but we had some exchanges on mail and phone, I had the privilege and the pleasure to be asked if I could take care of his loved ones in Paris minus Adam who could not accompany his mother and his sisters.
We all had a great time.
His friendship helped me go through my divorce some time later.
We had a last exchange by mail a few months go.
He was clearly a real man, husband, father and American.
We'll meet in the other world.
Rest in peace, Charlie.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
That is really a great sentiment Edmond and it is appreciated.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Merci beaucoup, Edmond.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote