New
Find
Notify
Tools

Been A While
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Still not having any pig traffic other than an occasional boar or two at either place. Checked cams this week and found this one--first daytime shot I've had of a hog in several years--

Here is his nocturnal buddy--can you smell him?

Was going out for a sit tonight in spite of the 'skeeters but I have opted for just being lazy.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you! At least you are seeing pictures. Had a boar hitting my place after midnight. Sat till 11:30 when the lights went out! Weak battery! I replace the battery so the lights would last all night, pig has not been back! I guess he liked his corn in the dark! Still no rain here so no skeeters yet!

Posts: 692 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I checked the cameras the big black ones swarmed me. The kind you can feel when they land--with a thump. But, they are easy to swat too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like good shots were missed
by not being there.

Come on man, be tough and get out there!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer, what part o' Tejas has skeeters so big they land with a thump?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill--these are in Guadalupe County, just east of San Antonio--and I'm not exaggerating. Unlike some of the small species, these big black ones do have hard landings (or else I'm just extra sensitive).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the Gallinipper.

"Gallinipper/Psorophora Ciliata

The Gallinipper Mosquito can grow 20 times as large as the Asian Tiger mosquito – it ranges from 12.7 - 25.4mm (0.5 – 1in) – that’s an inch-long mosquito! It is second in length only to the Australian Elephant Mosquito/Toxorhynchites speciosus, which is about 1.5 inches in length, but does not feed on blood. Bites from the Gallinipper are reported to be much more painful and this mosquito can bite through clothing. Folklore says this mosquito got its name, Gallinipper, because it seems like it takes a gallon of your blood when it bites. Luckily, this mosquito is not known to carry any diseases or parasites. It does, however, feed both day and night. P. ciliata are found in North American from South Dakota through Texas and Quebec through Florida. They are also found in South America."

Posts: 225 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bites from the Gallinipper are reported to be much more painful and this mosquito can bite through clothing.

When I hunted spring bears in Northern Alberta the mosquitos could easily penetrate three layers of clothing -- undershirt, outer shirt, and denim jacket. Had one land in some hot cooking grease and it sounded like you had thrown a piece of bacon onto a red hot grill.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of making a thump, I shoot sparrows as they will take over my purple martin houses if I don't. The sweetest sound is a double thump. You hear the pellet hit them and a thump when they hit the ground. A wounded sparrow will not thump the ground as they are able to break their fall. A thump when it hits is always a dead bird.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote