New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back Out with The Thermal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Legal bucks are few and far between on my two places, so I grabbed the AR and thermal and went for a sit at one of my stands where they are regulars from 7 to 10 each night. Got seated in the field with a view of the feeder pen from about 45 yds out, wind from left to right. First critter I see is a skunk. Then about 30-45 minutes later I hear squeals from the creek bottom about 75-100 yds away, and in another 10 minutes I pick up 5-6 mediums coming from the creek. Got the AR ready, safety off, on the shooting sticks---but the hogs didn't come to the corn, but passed by from left to right back in the brush, offering no clear shot. About 20 minutes later another larger one took the same path. Sat another 90 minutes but around 9:30 a deer started blowing--from a fairly long way behind the pen--I could barely pick it up in the thermal as it was back in the brush.

Got up and went for a walk about--and thought I spotted a good-sized one across the creek--but the weeds are high enough I never saw it again--who knows, maybe went down in the creek? Then I spotted 2 'yotes and watched them playing around for a while. Didn't shoot in case the larger hog reappeared--but nope. Called it a night and headed in.

Back out with a bow tonight as there are 3 spikes hanging around and I need a venison fix.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
+1 on the venison fix. Good luck tonight. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, went out again tonight for a sit--after 3 hours of seeing 3 skunks, 2 grey foxes, and 2 Yotes, I decided to take a walk about. Got about 100 yds down the fenceline between the pasture and the creek bottom and stopped for a scan--there they were--maybe7 or 8, completely oblivious to my presence about 50 yds away. Picked out the largest (had an order for one from a buddy), set the AR on the shooting sticks, and popped her--DRT!

The rest of them took off down the creek bottom and I was able to swing and touch one off at a runner, which stumbled but didn't drop. Walked on down to the property line scanning, and all I saw were more skunks--

Got her gutted, but had a heck of a time loading her--this 74-y.o. back doesn't do heavy lifting. Finally tied a front leg off in the bed, and then got her by the hind legs and was able to lift her in. Off to the processor tomorrow!

Interesting thing on the bullet path--.223 Hornady 55-gr Spire Point load. The hit was just below her ear, and the bullet went thru her heart--guess the combo of me being uphill and her having her head down explains it.

And, she had 4 buns in the oven--so a 5 for 1 shot.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
5 with one shot! Five good ones. Sounds like fun. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, you're still a pig killer!

Good shot too.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote