Find
Notify
Tools

Hog #500 bites the dust tonight
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

Well, it was a little unorthodox, but such is often the case with hogs. This evening, I decided to put my .300 Savage -- fitted with an auxiliary shooting light for dark nights -- on a shooting rest and check a couple of times after dark to see if anything was moving. I also put the 30-30 at the back fence just in case anything showed itself during daylight.

I went outside well after sundown, took a seat and was observing the surroundings. Only deer were moving, though. It was close now to an hour after sundown, and shooting light was all but gone, so I decided to grab the 30-30 and put it back in the house. But before I did, I scanned the surroundings one last time through the Docter 2.5-10x50. To both my surprise and delight, a hog was moving from a canopy of grape vines toward the creek. His dark frame stood out well against the summer-scorched grass. I re-activated the illuminated dot, leaned across a fence post and sent a 125 grain Accubond downrange as the hog walked through a slough. I lost the sight picture momentarily, but when I got the scope back on the area, there seemed to be a shadow in the grass where the hog last stood. But it was now just too dark to tell for sure.

So Grady and I cranked up the tractor and drove down there. Sure enough, the boar was out cold in the spot I last saw him.

Performance on the 139 yard-boar was as good as one could hope for and dropped him right in his tracks, rare for a shot of this nature in which neither shoulder was broken. The Accubond, launched at 2601 fps, centered the hog's lungs, boring a golf-ball-sized hole through them and leaving a quarter-sized exit through the opposite side rib-cage.

If you look closely, you can probably see the entrance just under the "0" in "2601" across the hog's vitals.

This hog represented #500 for me. I doubt I'll add many more to that total, but it's certainly been a blast getting to this point. Thanks for letting me share many of those right here on this forum.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on such a count Bobby.

Sure gave this one a bloody nose.

Don't be giving up just yet. There's
time for more.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
Quite a milestone, for you not the hogs! I enjoy reading your posts.
Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby, no one can say you haven’t done your share to deal with the Texas hog problems!

Congratulations, that is quite an accomplishment.

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nicely done, Bobby - as always!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
It is we who should be thanking you for the many great pictures and prose.
That's a great milestone, Bobby.
Keep on thumpin' those hogs!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I appreciate it.

George-Yep, this one -- as lung-shot hogs often do -- bled profusely not only from the exit but from the mouth/nose as well. I should have wiped that down a little better, but my energy levels and ability to bend and do things like that lately are pretty weak. The small bit of exertion yesterday is still wearing on me today.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
VERY nice Bobby!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Hey Bobby - Do you know what twist that barrel is? Or is it just the regular .30-30 barrel twist? Seems like a winner with a 125gr Accubond!!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Got 'R done again. The single shots make us focus and are frequently quite accurate. Your TCs seem to be the rule. Mine haven't shot lots of game but shoot where they were pointed. Be Well. Packy

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Hey Bobby - Do you know what twist that barrel is? Or is it just the regular .30-30 barrel twist? Seems like a winner with a 125gr Accubond!!

When I was speaking with Dave Van Horn about the barrel build, I mentioned I wanted a 1:10 instead of the more common slower twists for the 30-30. It have been my belief that one can't -- within reason and with a couple notable exceptions -- overstablize a bullet but that you can certainly understabilize one. Smiler

This barrel seems to digest just about any load and transforms it into stellar accuracy. That is also the case with a 24" .300 Savage that DVH Custom built for me. Let's just say that if a shot should go astray, there will be no basis for blaming the barrel ha ha Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good work Bobby---I don't have a tally total for myself, but as my nickname at the bottom of my post says, I have a few. I know I'm over 125 for the year since February though.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Keep on dropping them Bobby. Next stop 600.
CB
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:

When I was speaking with Dave Van Horn about the barrel build, I mentioned I wanted a 1:10 instead of the more common slower twists for the 30-30. It have been my belief that one can't -- within reason and with a couple notable exceptions -- overstablize a bullet but that you can certainly understabilize one. Smiler

This barrel seems to digest just about any load and transforms it into stellar accuracy. That is also the case with a 24" .300 Savage that DVH Custom built for me. Let's just say that if a shot should go astray, there will be no basis for blaming the barrel ha ha Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Keep up the good work, Bobby. You have been an inspiration here for a very long time.
I'm with you on the faster twists, having been to the old Savage 99 rodeo with the 1:14 twist in .250-3000. Some could get 100-grain bullets and even heavier to shoot nicely in these barrels. I never could.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote