Find
Notify
Tools

7/17 Big Boar *updated with pics*
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Went after the hogs again last night. Got in the stand around 7pm and watched the mule deer mill around until dark.

Once dark we used my friends thermal monocular to glass. Wow what a game changer. Watched more Mule Deer in the cotton fields for a few hours around 800 yards away and then saw a hog coming in through the field. 45 minutes later he arrived at the feeder

I hit record with the thermal and held the FoxPro spotlight. My friend nailed the hog at 150 yards with a high shoulder shot. Savage 7mm Remington Magnum with Leupold 8.5-25x Illuminated TMR. 140gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertip

At the shot the hog dropped. When we walked up to it the pig just kept getting bigger. Before we got to the hog we discussed weight and he said he thought it would go 225lb and I said it would go about 280lb. Each time I looked at the hog I thought it looked bigger than 280lb. 5 gallon bucket width neck, huge gut, long cutters.

We drug the hog up to the top of the hill to put it on the game hoist with a scale. Weight was 308lb/309lb. What a stud! I cut the offside shoulder off in an attempt to find the bullet but no luck.

The high shoulder shot went in the left side of the body and I found a piece of jacket on the hide. Neck was shattered and the blood coming out of the nose looked like a lung hit. I'm pretty sure the bullet veered after hitting the neck bone and went into the chest cavity. A lot of secondary projectiles in the wound channel from the broken shoulder and other bones hit.

The Bubba Blade 7" knife continues to impress. I sharpened it after the last hog and it was zipping through this one really well. This boar had over 1" thick skin/shield/fat and healthy.

I found a Native American camp walking in to the stand yesterday afternoon so I may go back out in a few minutes to do more digging for the bullet...and look for arrow heads. Guess I can put the lake fishing trip off until next weekend unless I decide to go tonight

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 and above is a warrior! People don't be believe how thick and hard their shields can be!

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Well done! Hogs that size are a rarity.

Did you have a chance to get any photos?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a big un for sure.

Any chance of pictures?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Hey Bobby! I sent you some after the hunt on Facebook Big Grin Still battling the photo hosting sites on here

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Somehow I missed seeing your message.

Here are those pictures. This really was a BRUTE.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir! Pictures never really do them justice!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You and how many others drug that HOG
up the hill how FAR?

Damn that's a big porker!

Thanks for the pictures.

Yes sir, you did get a Big UN!

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
WOW, what a boar!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
You and how many others drug that HOG
up the hill how FAR?
George

We have a short ratchet strap that we put through a hind quarter and drag it with the truck Big Grin I could not have drug this pig 50 yards in this sand/dirt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh, the whole truth now!

Thanks, sure looked like a big
job to drag it very far by hand
like we do elk out here in the hills.

Just teasing, big sob for sure. Glad
to see one on the scales for a change.
Makes all the difference in the world
to see actual weight.

You gonna eat him, or coyote bait?

Was thinking when I first saw the pics.
"sure wish I had that meat and slabs of
bacon laying there'.

Thanks for sharing your good luck with us.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your fine 300 plus hog Buglemintoday. Great shot as well. One of those would make my year.
Thanks for posting those pictures too Bobby Tomek.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice teeth!

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only people happier to see him go than the landowner is all the smaller males.

Did you get a length on the lower tusk? I say 20 cm.

Posts: 10837 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, it was a great boar. I kept asking my friend if he wanted to cape it out for a shoulder mount or at the bare minimum take it for a European mount. He opted to do neither. I cut the head off the next day and stuck it in a bush so it wouldn't disappear. I'd like to pull the teeth to get measurements once some of the meat falls off.

This guy was a lone boar and we found some trail camera photos of him. Always alone, and must travel long distances regularly because he would only come in a few times a month. He came from a pretty long distance the night he was shot.

I went back out the next day and cut the front shoulders off and dug around for the bullet. Couldn't find anything. Set up the front shoulders next to the hind quarters and did some .45-70 testing. Couldn't get a hard cast handload or a few factory options to penetrate through all of that bone and muscle tissue. Interesting. I figured the hand loads would plow through since they are praised for "straight line" penetration but maybe this was too much media to go through.

fwiw the 300gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertips would go through both front legs and not enter the hind quarter or body cavity. The 405gr hard cast with a stout dose of H335 would go through 3 legs and into the body but not into the opposite side of the pig. Not very scientific I know...but it was pretty stinky around 12hrs after the fact.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still wish I'd of been close enough to
bring that guy home for freezer fill.

Know the guys at JJ Meats would make a
bunch of great bacon. Lot of it on that one.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
That is a brute

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bet none of you guys have tried to eat a large wild male hog. They will smell up the kitchen so bad that the wife left the room.

I would never try this again!!

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cut the head off the next day and stuck it in a bush so it wouldn't disappear. I'd like to pull the teeth to get measurements once some of the meat falls off.

but it was pretty stinky around 12hrs after the fact.

I have found that using some black iron wire keeps the critters from dragging off the skull and jaw .. just saying...

stinky after? certainly, and almost a certainty, that it would have smelled badly cooking 5 mins after!!

Les is right -- big bores STINK, most of the time

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
That was an accomplishment. A bit of luck to be there on the rare occasion he was in the county. It is good to have the right timing. You just never know what came by later if you leave a "stand" early. Let us know what the teeth measure up to. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Les; et al,

Based on experience, I would have to disagree. I hear that comment a lot. "Any boar over (pick a weight I usually here a number between 175-200) lbs will taste horrible and stink up the house if you try and cook it.

I have taken about a 1/2 dozen boars that weighed 225+ on the scales and another 1/2 dozen north of 175. None of them tasted bad including this one that weighed 316 (BTW - that was the boars weight, not me).

I am sure some do taste bad but I have yet to have that experience.

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My big boar in Austria did not stink. He smelled like chestnuts. He ate well. We did only eat the tenderloins.

I am not implying all boats are like him.

Posts: 10837 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mike! I’ve eaten lots of boars, some 200lbs+, that were fine eating. But that said, I’ve left a few laying where they fell too! When you get a real stinker, there is no doubt about whether you should try to eat it or not!

Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zeeriverrat1:
I agree with Mike! I’ve eaten lots of boars, some 200lbs+, that were fine eating. But that said, I’ve left a few laying where they fell too! When you get a real stinker, there is no doubt about whether you should try to eat it or not!

Z

That mirrors my experience as well.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
But Mike,
it was YOU that introduced me to Peet's ..

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Peet's Sumatra coffee

Stag's Leap Petit Sirah

Johnnie Walker Blue scotch

Water

Is all one needs in life.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Let's see if this works

https://youtu.be/SeUTShZddsM

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That worked! He looks HUGE even on the thermal recording.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Live Oak:
300 and above is a warrior! People don't be believe how thick and hard their shields can be!

+1

Where groceries are scarce and it's root hog or die, 300+ lbs. are not the most common.