New
Find
Notify
Tools

weekend with new to me .300 Savage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Took out my new to me 99F Savage and managed to perforate 4 hogs. I am really liking this rifle. It is pretty luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mighty fine,

mighty fine

mighty fine

mighty fine!

They says it's better to be lucky than good,

I say its best to be lucky and good!

Good stuff!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Care to give any details of your hunt(s)?

Always enjoy hearing that kind of stuff!

Quien Sabe?

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats on breaking in the new-to-you rifle the right way! tu2 tu2

What load are you running? The .300 Savage is a great and oft-overlooked caliber.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was using 150 grain Hornady SST over 40 grains of 4320. Still playing with loads and want to try the 125 Accubond after seeing some of your posts. Shot the spotted boar at 178 yards and one of the Sows at 144 yards. The other 2 were around 120 yards. I'm really liking the round. Light recoil and shoots plenty flat to any distance that I have any business shooting. I gave a similar rifle to my dad a couple of years ago and he has wacked a good number of pigs and deer with it. Great round!

Geedubya,

I'll post details tomorrow. Had a 7 hour drive home and getting ready to pass out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am an accubond fan.

I am not a fan of the Hornady SST's. However the last time I loaded them was cica 2005. Perhaps they have changed or perhaps because the 30 caliber SST's I loaded were in a 300 WSM, but IMHO, when I used them they were a bit frangible for my tastes. But, its hard to argue with success.

I think Bobby T loads lighter 30 caliber bullets, but the lightest I've loaded is the 150 grain bullets.

Nosler Manual 8 show their most accurate load for the 150 gr. Accubond, in the 300 Savage to be IMR 4895 with a density between 36 gr. min @ 2,330 FPS (most accurate load) and 40 gr. @ 2,580 fps.

I have no problem with velocities less than 2,600 fps. Less meat damage and typically more penetration.

10/4 on the details.

It's 310 miles from my camper to my door step, so after a few days at the lease I'm somewhat fried upon my arrival at home.

I'm going to try to head out about 10 AM in order to get to camp before dark. I'll have signal until around 4 PM. I'll check the forums, but may not comment on your thread as my stubby fingers and the virtual keyboard on my I-phone are not conducive to lengthy responses.

Best,

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting, makes me want to dust off my old 99.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Great job on the oinkers.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya,

Good luck at your lease. You are going to catch some nice cool weather! Hope the animals are moving around good for you.

These are the first SST bullets I have used. This particular bullet is made specifically for the 300 savage and is a little shorter than their standard 150 grain .308 SST. They seem to work pretty well on these 4 hogs. May be that they are not at a very high velocity.

As far as details I got to one of my favorite box blinds on Friday evening. It looks down into a small flat where three draws converge. We have a feeder in the bottom and I had three cows hanging out down there. Did not expect to see much as the animals on this ranch tend to shy away from the cows. I had a sounder of small pigs come in that I shot a big sow out of the previous weekend. All the small piglets came into the feeder area but the two larger sows stayed back in the cedar. They all had their attention on the cows and quickly decided they did not want to be there. They worked their way up the hill on the other side of the clearing and I put my crosshairs on a small window in the cedar where I thought they might move through. As luck would have it a small piglet moved through followed by one of the big sows. She stopped broadside and posed for me. She dropped at the shot like a bag of hammers. I pulled out my range finder and ranged her at 144 yards where she fell. I waited a little while and finally went down the hill and then up the hill where she was and dragged her down to where I could get to her with my 4-wheeler. I quickly realized how out of shape I am during the drag.

I will add details on the other two hunts here I took the other three pigs a little later.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try 4064 and the 150 Hornady Spire Point. Gives 2680 fps in my 300 and I've taken African game out to 310 yards with it. Should work nicely for your purposes.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12861 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Very nice..
Rifle
Caliber
Load and..

Pig perforation performance!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add that the North wind was blowing pretty hard Friday evening and when I went to get out of the box blind to retrieve the pig the door would not open. The wooden keeper on the outside of the door had blown around and locked. I could not reach it from the window so had to give the door a sharp kick at the point where the keeper was. Luckily the keeper broke and not the door! Since I needed to repair the stand I decided to come back to it Saturday A.M. armed with my drill and a new wooden keeper. The same 3 cows were still hanging out so again I did not expect to see much in the way of deer. I did have one very young basket 8 come through that I think was just a 1-1/2 year old with his first rack. Promise for the future. About 9:30 A.M. I quietly as possible started working on replacing the keeper on the stand. While doing this I heard a pig squeal so I quietly got back in the stand and waited. Sure enough the same sounder from Friday evening was working its way back in towards the feeder. Like normal the smaller pigs got into the feed pen first. I was patient for a change and waited hoping the larger sow that I knew should be with them to show herself. Luckily she finally eased out and gave me a nice broadside shot. She dropped at the shot and pigs exploded in all directions. Thanks to the quick and smooth lever action of the 99 I was ready for a second shot quickly. One pig made the mistake of running directly towards me and I put the cross hairs on the tip of her nose and sent another round. I could see a pretty awesome cartwheel through the scope as I pulled the trigger but the pig disappeared in the brush. I knew it would be dead right there. I levered another round and looked for another target but did not get another decent shot.

Saturday evening I sat in another stand that also looks down into the bottom of a big draw. I was nodding off and when I opened my eyes I saw an animal move in and out of the brush. The Spotted Boar came in and stood broadside eating under the feeder. I went to ease my rifle out the window and I bumped the side of the sheet metal stand and he took off. He ran through an oak motte and out into a creek bed where I had a small opening to shoot through. As he trotted into the opening broadside I put the crosshairs on the tip of his nose and pulled the trigger. I lost sight of him but could hear him crashing though the rocks in the creek bottom. Through another hole in the brush I saw him start to run up the steep hill on the other side of the creek then roll over head over butt. I could see the cedar thrashing briefly where he flipped backwards and I watched that spot for a while. I got my 4 wheeler and drove down and around into the draw. The boar had ran about 50 yards from where he was hit and died. He was hit low straight through both his front shoulders. Based on his size and where he was laying and the fact that I already had quarters from the previous three pigs in my ice chests I left him where he laid. Would have been a difficult drag and the buzzards and varmits need to eat too. As I was walking back to my 4 wheeler I heard a rock roll up towards where the feeder is located. When I came up out of the creek there were two Aoudad rams in the edge of the feeder clearing looking at me. One was a very good ram. Since I don't have any interest in killing one of those worthless varmits I watched them for the second it took for them to figure out what I was and bolt. I'm sending one of our hunters that really wants a nice ram back to that area to hunt him. Hope he kills them both. The Aoudad are nearly as destructive as the hogs.

Was a great weekend. Got to spend some quality time with my dad who is 74 years old and still getting after them and several good friends. We had our coonass buddy in camp so we ate unbelievably well and had some good quality adult beverages. The hogs were just a bonus.
Can't wait to go back! Hope your season is successful!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At my lease where I get 1 bar.

Mighty fine read.

Stories like that get me inspires to get back in the stand.

Wind blew hard enuff to rock my camper all night.

Snow flurries @ 5 am when I stuck my head out.

Sat in an open quad pod till 9 am. Seems even the critters had sense enuff to hunker It is a might airish out even now. It’s gonna be a bluebird type of day.

Hopefully wind will lay this afternoon.

Anywho, any time I can get in the woods, I consider it to be time well spent.

Post early and often

Out for now.

Ya!

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya,

I wish you good hunt and hope to see you post some of the great pictures you take.