New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Arkansas pork.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We have 40 acres in the Ozarks that we manage for timber and deer hunting. My wife and I have been spending a lot of time up there recently hunting deer.

Incidental to the deer hunting, the hogs have moved into our area and I managed to kill a couple. Shot this one just before daylite one morning from the porch window...

Then last Thursday, sitting at the porch window this boar attempted to cross the food plot...

338-06ai and a 200gr Accubond ruined his day!
I think he was bigger than the first one!

We have had the property for 7 years and these are the first pigs we have taken. From what the trail cameras are telling us, I think they are here to stay...

Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Both are those are whoppers! Congrats on taking them -- and I agree with you that I believe the hog population is there for good now. I am hoping to see more of your hogs pics in the future.

How has the deer hunting been?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot this one off the porch too, first after noon I hunted...

My wife hadn't come up to camp yet, and I had just opened the window when this buck showed up...

My wife has been hunting hard and has passed on several small legal bucks, the freezer has lots of meat in it, so she is being pretty picky! She is not too happy with me blasting everything off the porch... Big Grin

I got some motion sensor lights ordered, and we plan on doing some nightshift hog hunting once deer season is all done...

Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Obviously your management practices are paying off. That is a GORGEOUS buck. Congrats!!! tu2 tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby thanks...when we bought the place it had been high graded and all the scrap trees were left.

We put in food plots, cleared old skid trails for tractor access and I injected a lot of the junk trees to get sunlight on the ground. We also put in a couple of water sources. It was a lot of work, but we enjoy spending time up there like you say, our work is now paying off.

We will make war on the hogs, I know we wont get rid of them but maybe I will discourage them at least part of the time...

One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
More info about your Mauser and the 338-06 load please?

Go Hogs!!! Razorbacks that is.

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just say moe...I built it myself on a VZ24 action using a 24" ER Shaw barrel and a Hogue overmoulded stock. I finished the metal with green GunKote.

Currently the load Im using is 60.3 grains of RL-17 under a 200gr Accubond bullet. COL=3.33" and the velocity is 2800fps. Using that powder and bullet I have gotten up over 2900fps, but this load is the most accurate in my rifle.

I really like this rifle, but if I had it to do over I would have made the standard 338-06 instead of the Ackley version...

One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
Thanks - we think alike. My standard 338-06 is on a commercial action with a Shaw barrel and Hogue stock. An excellent combination!

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Good looking pigs, Congratulations.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you've got a dandy place to shoot both pigs and fine WT's too.

How do you guys like those Shaw barrels by now? Are they accurate as I think they should be, or junk like so many others with more money claim?

I've got one in the works for a .243 build on a 1917 Enfield. My first Shaw barrel. Had them contour and deep chamber it as my gunsmith is trying to retire and I wanted him to finish it up before he does, he didn't want to turn a blank for a complete build.

Thanks,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am extremely happy with the Shaw barrel I had put on my Model 77 Ruger .35 Whelen about 22 years ago.

I believe it was some of the best money I ever spent on any particular firearm that I have owned or still own.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
georgeld, I have used the Shaw barrels to build a bunch of rifles 338-06ai, 7x57, 6.5x55, 280ai and 6.5-06...never had any accuracy issues.

They all shoot better than I do, they don't shoot 1/2" groups but I have been able to get them to shoot .75-1.25" groups reliably and that is plenty accurate for hunting.

For me they have been a good value for the price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. Likely just a bullet sorting thing if it's doing that well.

The A&B el cheapo I put on my Sako for a 223. A friend and I came up with 19 various bullets from 35-55 gr. I had the load already. Loaded 5 of each and shot 'em all. The best ten got ten more loads to prove what they could do. C/L 55's just barely less than half inch. 35 & 40 gr V'max ten shots in one hole. Next ten of the 40's made .230". What surprised me most was the orange tip Nosler 40's only made 1 1/4". Sure expected better from those. Mighty fine for a $70 blank. I fully expect this Shaw to do as well. But, I'll only shoot 100 & 105's in it and the ammo is already loaded, nearly half a bucket full. Sold my nice 700/.243 to finance this build.

Thanks much, appreciate the replies.

Randall: you getting any cold and snow? Been crowding zero here three days n nights now and last night at 5 we had a dusting, the first for the year. Son, 25 mi S of here said they got 2-3" is all. That's on the flats but, close to the foothills.
More than enough to convince me summer is over for this year.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is cloudy and in the upper teens and low 20,s around the area this morning. The forecast claims it will be in 60's maybe even hit70 by Sunday.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it turns out your hogs shy away from the motion-activated lights, get some of these--

https://www.amazon.com/VicTsin...rds=landscape+lights

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of littlecanoe
posted Hide Post
Zee

You may remember me from years ago and another forum as IZH27. Thor96 was there also.

It's good to see that you are doing well. Congratulations on the hunting! Looks like y'all have nailed down a good tract of land.

Is this the rifle that you took to NZ?

lc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
littlecanoe...Ahhh, a voice from the past, yep and I do remember. Have lost track of thor96 but still in touch with one of the other guys that used to frequent that old board, though I don't remember his old forum name.

The rifle I took to New Zealand was my short barreled 338-06ai, twin to this one except short and light, and I still use it a lot.

when I get caught up around here I will drop you a PM...

Z

One of Us
Picture of littlecanoe
posted Hide Post
Look forward too it. Good to hear from you.

lc