New
Find
Notify
Tools

Action Pig Shot
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had this really ugly, mangy hog coming to a feeder for several days according to the camera trap there, so I decided to watch for it for a while with my .300 Blackout (built on a Sako L46 action) in my lap. It usually came by itself, but I was surprised to see it show up with four smaller ones (obviously not its own). I put a 130 grain Hornady spire point (now discontinued) traveling about 2170 fps into it just behind the shoulder and it bolted out of the feed pen. I followed a copious blood trail about 75 yards to where it ran out of gas and fell over dead.

It was several days later that I retrieved the chip from the trail cam at that feeder and was surprised to see that the camera caught the moment instantly following the shot. The larger (grayish) hog can be seen leaping to the right and leaving a cloud of dust under the feeder, while the lesser pigs exit stage left.

I was impressed with the performance of the little .300 Blackout.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Love those spire Points in my .25-06.

Good job on the hog.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every once in a while you get some really cool pictures on the Camera. That guy was outa here!!

Posts: 692 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
What a neat capture. Thanks for sharing!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great picture even though it
was by accident and unknown. What did the
hog weigh? Any 'dead pics' of him?

Thanks for sharing it with us.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Great shot (rifle AND camera)!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
what did the hog weigh?

Maybe a hundred pounds. No photos of the deceased. It looked like it had the mange; was nearly hairless in spots and had a "popcorn"-like texture to the skin where the hair was missing. Can hogs contract leprosy? Needless to say, I did not choose to butcher this one, and didn't even roll it over to inspect the exit wound that bled so profusely.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great rifle for the job too. Any pictures of your rig?

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:
Sounds like a great rifle for the job too. Any pictures of your rig?

It is built on what was originally a Marlin 422 which a previous owner had rebarreled, ruining its value as a collector of this somewhat rare model made on the Sako L46 action. So I had it rebarreled with a very lightweight 21" barrel chambered for the .300 Blackout. Nothing about the action or magazine required any modification to feed and function perfectly. I topped it with a 3-9X Leupold Compact. The 130 grain spire points travel about 2170 fps and group very nicely.

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Great looking set-up. I have two Sako mini actions in 221 and 6x45 respectively and one wears a 3-9 Leupold compact.
I would love to own the big brother in 300 Blackout one day.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:
Great looking set-up. I have two Sako mini actions in 221 and 6x45 respectively and one wears a 3-9 Leupold compact.
I would love to own the big brother in 300 Blackout one day.

How about that? I also have small action Sakos in .221 and 6x45 -- as well as one in .20 Vartarg. These are all on L461 actions. I have an A-I in .223 which, for some reason, holds seven rounds down, making it an "8-shooter". Aren't those little Sako action real jewels, though? You can squeeze a 7.62x39 into a Sako L461/A-II which gives you a tad more power than the .300 Blackout, but the magazine has to be reworked slightly and it will only hold four rounds down.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That really is a sweet little wand -- kind of like fishing a 4-weight fly rod. Great photo, too.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The pic is pretty dang cool!
Well done on the hog!

We share the same affinity for the little Sako rifles. One of mine is about to be a 20 vartarg too. The other 4 are either 223 or 222.

Zeke