THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

12Ga.Slugs on Hogs...Performance & Types??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
Any high end slug users...custom slugs?...Sabots? Performance Results? Thanks!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I shot one pig with my Holland Paradox. 735 gr 12ga slug @ 1100 fps @ 50yds.The slug blew through both sides of the 200lb boar and it ran 30yds and fell over.

I need to do that again!

Posts: 1307 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Kool....Thanks for the reply! I have some heavy customs up to 1050grs at 1100 to 1800 that I am anxiously wanting to try! : )

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
I have a 10ga SxS Bore Gun, with 24 inch barrels and express sights. Honestly I think it was just a SxS shotgun that someone had professionally shortened and fitted with sights, but the guy in the shop insisted it was a Bore Gun.

I shoot standard 10 slugs (Remington) through it and have never had any accuracy issues OR failing to stop any wild boar that ever crossed in front of it. The recoil will "wake you up in the morning" but its kind of comforting too.

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No experience on hogs but Remington Copper Solids have been very good to me on deer in both 12 and 20ga.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I been wanting to blast a pig with a tri-ball load, not technically a slug but on my list! and I just saw Hevi-shot has a version out of the tri-ball.

I have a custom .54 cal BP slug which could be loaded in a a shot shell that is hell on wheels, 420 grains 80% meplat, BOOM

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
That sounds interesting ..thanks..let's see what I end up with? Thx

One of Us
posted Hide Post

The Slug on the right is that custom 54

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
I did that with a 10ga double too buy the smooth bore were far from accurate ..someone should make a rifled version...
HE I SHOT TRIED BALLS...THAT SHOULD WORK!!
That is a good looking huge meplat slugs there ...flying sledge hammers! Thanks Guys!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
S44:

I like the looks of that slug.
I shoot one similar in .45 Colt.
I have a coffee can full of those ???? 485gr like the others. Late neighbor loaned me his mold. What's it called, I can't think of it right now. Thanks.

For the .54 I've gone to Lee's REAL in the heavy one. It's accurate for me out to almost 200yds. I cast 'em hard same as pistol bullets as I have the muzzle relief bored they load easy. Didn't cast 'em hard on purpose. Was new to BP and never gave it a thought til after I had a couple 3# coffee cans full. Just too many to remelt and start over. Cheap rifle so I just had it bored out to make it easier to load 'em in. Not the way to go for sure but, that's my story and I'll stick to it at least til they're all shot up.

Who made the mold for you? How many cavities?
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks
It was the brain child of Doubledown and myself, executed by accurate molds, I believe it is a two banger mold.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've got a 12ga SxS that I've put rifle sights on and screw-in rifled chokes. For a fun load and the "clunk-clunk" on loading it, I've used brass cases and round balls of .715 diameter. This load at about 1400fps has killed hogs with a number of full pass-throughs. Have also used cast slugs that did as well.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prof:
What powder and charge do you use in that with the RB's? I got a scissor mold from Dixie yrs ago but, never used it yet. I had a rifle and pistol barrel both made for .72 cal, .735" bore.
Planning on building a bp set. They have 38:1 twist as I'd planned on making up a slug mold for it. That came out fine other than I'd forgotten to have grease grooves cut in it. So it has to be made over with new blocks.
I've been hung up for 12yrs or so trying to find someone that would whittle the stock into a rough shape for me. I'd finish it fine, just wreck good wood as I can't seem to get the shape right before it's ruined.

Knowing it will be a real kicker I want the stock to be a Classic shape w/o the drop of typical BP rifles.

Barrel maker, Ed Rayl, said to consider the max to be: 1400gr slug, and 240gr FFg. But, "start low and work up, you'll never reach max before recoil changes your mind".

Thanks,
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
George,
My loads are not black powder. Everything is smokeless. Primarily am using Blue Dot and Longshot with sufficient wadding to keep it in place.
Have been tempted to use Hodgdon's (memory blank) western powder...Trail Boss!...to take up extra room.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I KILLED many game with slugs boars with great results in one shot stops ,at 15 mts ,whitetails one shot stops ,buffalos ,wild cows ,cebues etc i shoot under 30 mts always .
I have now a spanish client hunting doves -yesterday he shot 5000shells Eekerthat he killed eland in Mallorca -in a farm -always with one shot stops .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Prof, wondered that.
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
The wife and I have both killed pigs with the 12 ga. Remington Low Recoil slug.

Why? it shot to point of aim in her Drilling and in my Berretta single shot folding shotgun, that I use for turkeys sometimes.

Both shots were around 25 yards or so, just behind the shoulder. Both times the slugs went through the pigs. Both ran around 70 yards.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote