New
Find
Notify
Tools

You pig killers would know this
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do these wild hogs have enough bacon to mess with?

I don't know, figure you guys would cutting up so many.

Thanks,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, even if they do the flaver wont be there. I did bacon off a very fat sow years ago. Wasnt worth feeding to the dogs.

Posts: 497 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have not seen any with what I considered would be worth messing with.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, on an old fat sow, but you have to modify your normal skinning cuts. One has to keep in mind, that what we call "bacon" is a prepared meat, not just a cut. See excellent thread in "Recipes" forum.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
My wild game processor says "Nope".

The meat barrows that I raised as a kid led a docile life of luxury compared to wild or even feral hogs.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Interesting post George. If I could add to the conversation -Would a diet such as one high in corn, citrus, sorghum, sugar or what have you make any difference in the flavor?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5087 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
diet changes the flavor of the meat.
but you still have to cure bacon and ham to get the flavor you get in the store bought stuff.

cutting the pork belly out and just slicing it up will leave you with a butt steak tasting thin strip of meat between some fatty globs of a gelatin substance like stuff.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I have no interest in eating raw pork belly. It's not bacon or ham until it's cured. Right?
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
diet changes the flavor of the meat.
but you still have to cure bacon and ham to get the flavor you get in the store bought stuff.

cutting the pork belly out and just slicing it up will leave you with a butt steak tasting thin strip of meat between some fatty globs of a gelatin substance like stuff.

Posts: 5087 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,

where I'm at the wild hogs I kill do not have the "belly" for making bacon!

In fact most meat markets do not carry pork bellies and the ones that do are usually pretty thin.

When I make bacon, I buy pork bellies.

Depending on the size of the hoglet, that determines how I break it down. Small hogs I ususally just take the hinds and the loins. Hogs 100 lbs plus are worth taking the time to butcher!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's not bacon or ham until it's cured

Not really, they are cuts of meat. But we usually cure them in various ways to make them what we call bacon or ham. It's not hard, as I mentioned read the thread in "Recipes for Hunters".

Almost all bacon that we eat everyday comes from frozen pork bellies which are sold daily on the commodities exchanges by the millions of pounds. Wanta make bacon, gotta get some pork belly. Feral hogs rarely have the thickness we usually associate with pork bellies, but I've seen several that did, over the years. After all, all feral hogs are from the same stock that supplies our commercial pork bellies.

A hot "new" barbecue item is smoked pork belly.

quote:
The pork belly futures contract at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange calls for the physical delivery of 40,000 pounds of frozen pork bellies, which have been slaughtered at USDA federally inspected slaughtering plants. Each deliverable belly typically weighs 12-14 pounds each.

Belly prices (cash and futures) are sensitive to the inventory in cold storage and to the weekly net movement in and out of storage, which affords some insight to demand, although a better measure is the weekly quantity of bellies being sliced into bacon. Higher retail prices tend to encourage placing more supply into storage because of lower retail bacon demand. Bacon is not a necessary foodstuff so demand can be buoyed by favorable consumer disposable income. However, dietary standards have changed dramatically in recent years and do not favor the consumption of high fat and salt content food, such as bacon. In addition, alternatives to pork bacon have emerged in recent years such as turkey bacon, which has lower fat and calorie content.

Supply - The average monthly level of frozen pork belly storage stocks in 2007 fell by 0.3% to 40.100 million pounds, down from the 8-year high of 50.350 in 2005. As of December 2007, there were 34.519 million pounds of pork bellies in storage.

Currently commodity exchange pork bellies are about $2.17/lb. 3 months out.

quote:
Feb 01, 2017
America's stash of bacon—yes, there is such a thing—is at its lowest levels in more than half a century, and the result is that prices for your favorite breakfast meat are spiking.
Citing data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported that the country's supply of frozen pork bellies—used for bacon—measured 17.8 million pounds. That's the lowest mark since 1957. Less than one year ago, mind you, America was rolling in bacon, with some 62 million pounds of frozen pork bellies.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Porkbelly, cured for 7 days then smoked to 165 degree internal temp.

and what is the old saying about bacon and eggs.....

for the chicken it's no big deal.....

but for the pig, its total commitment!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Almost all bacon that we eat everyday comes from frozen pork bellies which are sold daily on the commodities exchanges by the millions of pounds. Wanta make bacon, gotta get some pork belly. Feral hogs rarely have the thickness we usually associate with pork bellies, but I've seen several that did, over the years. After all, all feral hogs are from the same stock that supplies our commercial pork bellies.

Most of the bellies I have seen from Feral Pigs, were they "Cured" been just what my Dad, who was born in 1897 would have loved, a little thin strip of pink, with two strips of fat on each side.

I can remember as a teen/pre-teen, Dad buying a pig every winter once the temperature got right and our butchering the critter and Dad would buy the Morton's Sugar Cure, not the "Quick Cure", and he would cure the bacon sides, hams and shoulders.

This was well before Feral Hogs came on the scene, but over the years I have seen few feral hogs that I think would have produced good bacon.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thank everyone for the comments.

Possibly I could have worded that differently.
GW understood what I was asking.
I know farm pigs have the makings and the trick to bacon is the cure. But, you've got to have the belly material to do it with.
That's what I meant.

Randall: that's what I was wanting to know.

A friend butchers hogs 5 days a week, I bought one a couple yrs ago and he said to take it to the local meat market to be cured, so I did. Best I've ever eaten. Cost a buck a pound and took ten days. Wish now I'd had them cure the hams too. Oh well. maybe the next one.

Thanks guys,

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goerge,

Google is your friend.

check this out.....

http://amazingribs.com/recipes...aphy/curing_ham.html

I do something similar. However, the hinds I use are 8 lbs or so and I do not brine or "wet cure" for 7 to 10 days

you can take a smaller hindquarter, brine it for 48 hours then smoke it till the internal temp is 165 or 170. It will be like "Ham".

I've thought about Charcuterie, but on the gulf coast of Texas dry aging/curing can become quite involved.

Here's another link that might interest you, in regards to dry aging and Charcuterie........

https://www.drybagsteak.com/

once you go there click on "Charcuterie"

one more just for giggles n grins.....

https://www.amazon.com/Charcut...Curing/dp/0393058298

ya!

GWB

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
George, you got me to have bacon on the brain and we found a German grocer set up at the Lancaster market on Saturday with some double smoked bacon. It was the best I've had so far.
Not cheap though at $12.95 for a 12 ounce hunk. They're in NYC. Schaller & Weber.
Ennyhoo, thanks for talking bacon. Otherwise we may never have even tried this stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Interesting post George. If I could add to the conversation -Would a diet such as one high in corn, citrus, sorghum, sugar or what have you make any difference in the flavor?

On the cattle ranches down here, the ranchers put out raw molasses for the cattle. Hogs flock to it. Definitely changes flavor.

Posts: 11917 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gosh, more good info, thanks guys.

Need to check those links out. I don't have a smoker any longer. Too big a hassle when the meat market will do it for a buck a pound. Thing is, gotta have it to start with or buy it.

Custombolt: Glad you thought of it, doubt I'd pay that much for bacon though even real good stuff. Glad you enjoyed it though. 12oz wouldn't make me two sandwichs though.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Interesting. We noticed that the local farms' eggs had bright orange yolks & tasted better than store bought and she said (this past winter) that they do feed them field corn once a week. I think they ran out because the yolks have been pale lately.
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
On the cattle ranches down here, the ranchers put out raw molasses for the cattle. Hogs flock to it. Definitely changes flavor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have chickens and Lora sells eggs. The main reason eggs from Free Range chickens/yard chickens have the brighter colored yolks is due to their being out and hustling for themselves, the main ingredient is Sunshine.

We feed scratch grains ( a mix of chopped corn, sorghum, whole wheat), meat scraps, some green vegetables and fresh grass.

But the biggest factor is the sunshine. Caged layers simple don't get that one base element.

the yolks -

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Geedubya, thanks for the link to that book on charcuterie. I'll be ordering it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16317 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
feral hogs -- no bacon to speak of, 98% of the time, of that 2% of the time, 1/2 of them will be too strong,

i have a theory that the pig needs to be over 250 to bother to look for bacon

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38404 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Feral hogs have a different body structure from their bacon-producing domestic cousins. Unless they were "released" or escaped to be hunted, ferals are lean & muscular. Sows & younger ferals have very tasty meat, however. Boars not so much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Works for me!

we eat it quite often. What I don't eat I give away.

Got some "Abuelas" to whom I will trade pork for tamales.

Those made with lard are the best!

ya!

GWB

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's a great barter system you have there Geedubya. What did you think of the Ballast Point beer?

– John Green, author

Posts: 16317 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I hope to be in Oregon for a week or so in October. Will be chasing waterfalls and lighthouses. I may even get to stop by a couple brewerys. Oregon seems to have fine craft beer makers.

It's been a while, however I do believe that was a "Victory at Sea".

I like the Imperial cream Stout also

I am partial to porters and stouts.

I like both Ballast Point and Deschutes. I prolly drink much more Deschutes.

Not an Oregon beer but I also like the Stone Smoked Porter and the Imperial Russian stout.

Here is a "beer" that I've enjoyed quite a bit over the last month. It has definitely grown on me.

A link to a thread I started a while back that ran for a bit. It was titled I like beer.......

http://forums.accuratereloadin...171002802#9171002802

Best,

GWB

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Geedubya, I will have to try that particular Lagunitas. Yes, Oregon has a lot of fine craft breweries now, and the craft cider industry is starting to pop as well. Be sure to try some of the offerings from Pelican Brewery when you get here. i beleive they started in Pacific City/Cape Kiwanda, a great spot to visit on the north central coast as it has about the last beach-launched dory fleet left in the United States.

I'm going to miss my native state when I move to New Mexico next month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MypitRPpEhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssm4C53MQUg&t=9s

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Feral hogs are like deer, they read these forums. Deer know a .223 wont kill them and hogs know if they don't grow bacon they have some protection, so they don't plant any bacon.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BUllshit carpetman!

Lot's of deer have been shot with a .223,
whole lot more have been with a .22lr too.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
Calm down, George.

That was HUMOR!

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato---You got it. Have taken many nephews, grand kids and great nephews on hunts with .22 centerfires. (They lucked out and shot ones that didn't read the internet)

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought "plant bacon" would be a tip it was humor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive fattened feral hogs, they are just like any other hog, they are domestic gone wild..Feed them up and you got bacon..Russian boars or even half Russian boars? maybe not, but I bet they eat good, but probably like a Feral hog on pasture, no bacon of quality is my guess..

Ive eaten enough feral hog to know If Im going to eat one, it will be a very young one..otherwise we haul them to the ranch dump.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41777 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote