New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Night Sit--Without Good Ending
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Went to the same local place again as there is a group of 3, sometimes 4 boars hanging around and often coming early.

Got in the seat of the other stand west of the feeder, sweating like crazy, no breeze, and got all set. Was texting a buddy who doesn't have the same hunting opportunities as I have, and just as I was getting ready to hit the send button, glanced up and they were here. So they caught me with my bow laying on my lap, phone in hand---- Tried to slip the phone in my pocket but my release ticked the arm of the metal seat and the "tink" caused them to decide to leave. Frowner

They weren't spooked so I was hoping when the feeder spun they would return. A slight breeze had come up so I decided to stay until 11:00. At 10 'til, I see two returning. This time I have my bow ready, and they eased on into the pen and started vacuuming corn. I drew, anchored, aimed, and released, and the lighted nock zoomed right into the closest, just forward of the right shoulder (slight quartering to shot). archer At the hit, the lighted nock disappeared and the two ran off, circling to the left and heading away in the direction they had come in from. I listened for the crash but instead, heard only 2-3 soft coughs or sighs. I figured this was the sign of a good lung hit and I would find the pig down.

Waited 10 minutes, climbed down and started into the pen to check for sign and got tangled in the fence- Roll Eyes Got out of the mess and checked--no sign under the feeder, but that isn't unusual. Scanned the woods in the direction they left with the thermal--nothing. Walked back to the truck and drove back to the feeder with the big light and started my usual tracking method. An hour later and only one tiny blood spot about 10 yds out with flashlight batteries going down and having walked the entire 180-degrees in the direction they left out to 100+ yrds finding nothing, I called it a night.

Went back the next afternoon to check for buzzards---and nothing on my place or the neighbor's. So, what I thought was a good shot obviously wasn't so good. I'll be re-checking cameras in a few days to see when I will be back in the seat here. Until then, I may have a sit at the other place with the AR-Thermal scope combo.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pigs move! When they are cleaning up corn they can move a lot! I am sure that a little far back or high with an arrow they can "run dead" a long way. After my slow kill at the creek blind I decided to move it closer. I have moved that blind 3 times. It would not move a fourth! Strap broke and it crashed. So now in the heat I am building a third bird cage! hope to have it up next week. Pictures of another boar at that feeder!

Posts: 691 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thing is how the lighted nock on the arrow "disappeared" at the hit, meaning it had penetrated to below the skin line yet did not go all the way through. And, it had to be protruding on the exit side--arrow is 29.5" long and the pig wasn't that thick. I suppose it could have deflected on impact and gone full-length towards his back side. Never heard the arrow striking any brush, and the aluminum shaft gives off a very distinctive sound.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Live Oak:
Pigs move! When they are cleaning up corn they can move a lot! I am sure that a little far back or high with an arrow they can "run dead" a long way.

True with rifles also.....

Just a couple inches the wrong way

can make all the difference between DRT

and having to track

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dusty:

Use a rifle next time.
Might hit 'em better.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George--yep, but no where near as much skill involved or fun. Been a bowhunter since '75 and this isn't the first nor the last lost animal. It is part of the sport.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
George--yep, but no where near as much skill involved or fun. Been a bowhunter since '75 and this isn't the first nor the last lost animal. It is part of the sport.

In my mind there is no doubt that to be successful hunting with a stick bow or compound bow causes one to become a better hunter.

The problem I've had with it in the past is how many animals are wounded or lost. One of my earliest experiences with my Matthews FX, six deer that were arrowed during a two day hunt were lost. Two of them were mine.

I've access to a Ravin Crossbow this year. I may give it a try.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep--a bunch of animals are lost due to people taking bad shots and/or making bad shots. I limit my shots to 25 yds and under, and I practice, practice, practice. The western US hunters after mule deer, elk, and pronghorn often are faced with shots in the 50 yd range and up. Not me--as with the current long-range rifle hunting, far too much risk of a wounded and lost animal. I also shoot heavy arrows which results in a quieter bow although the animals may still react at the sound of the shot.

Counting back, in my 45 or so years of bow hunting I can count 6 deer and 3 hogs which I have not recovered. Not numbers I am proud of but I know I give it my best efforts, both in preparation for the shot, the shot, and the followup recovery efforts.