New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pretty Good Boar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Where I hunt its unusual to see a boar of this size during daylight hours. Especially in August. It was 107 degrees F on Friday afternoon last.

I've not hunted this stand in four month and this ol' boy is geting careless. Hope for an opportunity to perforate him in daylight during opening week-end of dove season.

It sure is easier making a 175 yd. shot in daylight vs. at nite with a kill light, being as these guys are always moving. I was just telling Bobby "whakin-n-stakin" Tomek, I'll prolly use my 338 RUM or my 376 Stery (pictured)

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Impressive pig.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I love that set-up...not to mention the view. Good for the soul to sit back and take in scenery like that...

Hope to see some of your dead piggie photos before too long, including that brute of a boar.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

I call that location, "The Canopy". Where I hunt is a 1,700 acre "pasture" out of a 55,000+ low fenced ranch that is the old Dolph Briscoe homestead. It is about 5 miles below ConCan at Reagan Wells and 6 miles in off SH-83. It has been hunted for no telling how many years. My buds and I have hunted this lease since 2004. Whoever had this lease 30 or so years ago must have had a dozer and some heavy equipment. This stand is constructed of drill stem and angle iron. Most all the wood has long since rotted. I've not chosen to dry it in. I like being a minimalist and having wide open views. The view shown from where the rifle is on the "dead shot field pod" is in a northwesterly direction. I luv getting up there about an hour before the crack of dawn and watching the moring stars, the sunrise and the sounds of the "woods" come alive. It may be maudlin, but I often think that my bones would rest easy at this spot, if I was so lucky to be interred there.

Here are some more photos from that location........

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GWB:

Yes sir, I agree: YA!

Is that the same feeder in the last picture?
Looks a lot closer.

Thanks for sharing, great views.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It sure is easier making a 175 yd. shot in daylight vs. at nite with a kill light

I'd say that most typical blind-to-feeder distances in Texas are about 50 yards. However, I like the feeder somewhat further away -- ours are mostly anywhere from 125 to 250 yards (although we do have a couple that are 60-75 yards where we take the young-uns for a shot more within their capabilities.) The more distant feeder mostly keeps movement/noise/odor from the blind from being a factor, and allows you to see a larger area and usually more animals. After all, a standing shot at ~200 yards is hardly a challenge for most any half-way accurate scoped rifle from a rest in a blind.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Georgeold,
Same canopy stand. Two different feeders. If one was looking due west the first pix would be at approx. 2 o'clock. The other feeder would be at approx 8 o'clock. The left feeder i've ranged at 174 yds. the right at 175 yds., IIRC. So for all practical purposes they are the same distance. When I shoot from this location I use a rifle that is zero'd at 200 yds. The last two pix in the post above are part of a sequence of several shots. Take a look at the fourth picture, just in front and to the left of the rifle muzzle. You will notice a feeder and a black dot just below. That is a dead pig that I just shot. The shell casing is set on a 1 x 4 that I used as a rest. In the fifth pix, I've zoomed in and positioned the camera to catch the spent cartridge and the dead pig under the feeder.

Here is the final pix of the sequence...........

The rifle is Nosler Custom Sporter, chambered for the 325 WSM. I've thumped quite a few hogs with it over the years...........

ya!

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
After all, a standing shot at ~200 yards is hardly a challenge for most any half-way accurate scoped rifle from a rest in a blind.

Hello there guy. Hope you're doing well.

I agree on the "standing" part. Problem is, most of the time they are not just "standing". Rather, constantly moving, being pigs, and trying to be sure they get all the corn before the next guy.

All of the rifles I use will shoot MOA at 200 yds. off the bench. I call myself a "short range meat hunter", so when I miss it's usually operator error. LOL

The fun of it is that I try to place a bullet in a particular area, that being "two inches below the ear on a line between the ear and shoulder".

Even at 200 yds. it is not uncommon from the time one's brain sez' squeeze, the trigger breaks and the bullet impacts the target, for the pig to have moved a foot or so.

If you notice in the third picture of the post above, that is the case with the point of impact.

I had aimed for just below the ear. So either I pulled the shot or the pig moved about 1 foot before the bullet struck. If the impact of the bullet does not knock them down, they have usually made it the 5 yards to cover before I can regain my sight picture.

Most times my shots are either before good daylight or from dark-thirty until about two hours after dark, using a kill light mounted on my scope.

One of the reasons I use rifles of 6.5 mm caliber or larger is that I want a blood trail that a blind man could follow in the dark.

anywho, perhaps you get the picture.

JAPPFT,

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GW, nice set-up!

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the details, helps understand a bit better. That's pretty good shooting for in the dark.
How does the green light show up at that range? I just got a good flashlite with green that throws a bright light over 500 feet down the street. I haven't had it out of town since getting it. I've got the neighbors looking out their windows for two blocks around though. Just trying to see how well it works.

Does the green spook the pigs any?

Blood trails like that would trip a man!

Thanks,
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:

How does the green light show up at that range?

Does the green spook the pigs any?

George

George, I've now owned three "kill lights"

the first was the XLR 250 Kill light

Here is a current link!

http://elusivewildlife.com/xlr-250.html

The second was the Wicked Lights 250 yd. model

The light I now use I like the best. It is the Wicked Lights model 403.

I purchased mine at Allpredatorcalls.com. I've done business with them over the years and they are knowledgeable and provide good service. However there are numerous companies out there now that sell these kill light kits. I paid $149 for my kit.

Here is a current link.

http://www.allpredatorcalls.co...-kit-with-green-led/

Supposedly the 403 will illuminate your reticle and target to 400 yds.

I've use it between 90 and 175 yds. and it works very well.

The reason I like the 403 is that the model I now have has a telescoping beam. By that I mean I can go from a wide focus to a very narrow beam for extended range. It also has a rotating dial on the tail cap, that allows one to change the illumination factor from very dim to very bright.

So, you ask does the green light spook the animal, yes and no.

When I first started out I tried the Laser Genetics ND3 laser. Don't waste your time.

I next tried the XLR 250. It was a good light except that it offered no telescoping or dim/bright capabilities. If you were close and you hit a group of hogs all of a sudden with a very bright light, yes they would spook. I got to where I would point the rifle straight up, turn the kill light on, then come down slowly and try to acquire a target. Most of the time it works. But from time to time not. The big old pigs seem to be more skittish than the shoats.

With the Wicked Light 403 I have the ability to leave the rifle pointed in the direction that I plan to shoot. As soon as it gets dark enough to see the pattern of the beam, I will test the diameter of the beam relative to the field of view that I want. I then turn the illumination dial all the way down, then turn the light off. I have a good set of Leica BA binos and can see shapes moving at 100 yds. most any night. Failing that I will turn the light on every five minutes or so to see if anything is stirring. I have found that the combination of adjusting the field of view vs. brightness works well. If hogs are under the feeder I will turn on the light and slowly increase the illumination. If I do my part correctly, the hogs typically don't spook.

The kit comes with a quality mount that adjusts for windage and elevation and it mounts just like a set of rings. The problem is its "fixed". That is fine if you use one rifle, and carry your gun on a sling, etc. However I typically strap my rifle to my ATV in a hard case. Having a fixed mount precludes this. I also like using different rifles, and may use several on any given trip to my lease. I have purchased a couple "universal" mounts with which I can mount or detach the kill light in less than a minute.

The "universal" mount can be purchased separately at Elusive Wildlife Technologies or SniperHawgLights (where I got mine) and most likely APC.com.

here is a link to SHL
http://www.sniperhawglights.co...cope-mount-p/usm.htm

One caveat, with the Universal mount you do not have windage or elevation adjustments. I've not found that to be an insurmountable problem.

Maybe one day I will invest in "night vision optics, but at this point the lights are cheap and are sufficient to suit my needs.

Course that was what I said about cheap binos, before I got my Leicas.

Quien Sabe

GWB

PS: Works good for bustin' bunnies and varmints at night. Use a small caliber varmint rifle and aim for the shiny eyeball

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you kindly for the great report and links.
Just what I was hoping to learn.
Where did you hit that pig? In the butt maybe to get that expansion. No saving that skull even if you wanted to.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GWB:
I looked at each of these links.
Strange deal maybe. I bought a flashlite w/green diode from: SF Express in China a few months ago. The body is the very same thing as the first two links show. Different names on it though. Mine says: CREE, Unique Fire HS-802.
I paid $32 for it delivered, took three weeks and came direct from China.
Though the label names: SF Express, c/o Worldnet Shipping USA Inc.
475 Doughty Blvd., Inwood, NY, 11096.

Just sharing info is all.

I had a friend in the UK send me one of his extra's with white diode that won't stay on. I don't find any switch, but, it only stays on about five seconds everytime. at first it was steady.
UPDATE: Hell of a deal, the batteries were dead!

Good shoot a few dozen more!
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep stacking them up Geedub...but save me a couple next spring!
Gonna be working out with the new 6.8 this coming November and January when I'm down there.

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 23 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10/4 on the whackin/stakin'. YOu doing a bolt or a/r platform on the 6.8 SPC.

GWB

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
GW

You are a very lucky man. I am really jealous!

I wish I could hunt pigs like that!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice boars , great pics cheers Mick

Posts: 104 | Registered: 15 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went back to my lease last weekend for dove season opener. Three weeks ago we were covered up with mourning doves and white-wings.

This weekend, not a bird one. Amazing.

Did not get the big one I've been gunning for, that was pictured in the previous post. Did manage to tag this one.

Not the biggest boar, but pretty good cutters.

He had an unusually thick and bristly coat, so I caped him out. Think I'll have his hide tanned.

My youngest son's fiance is from Germany. She's been wanting a boar shank to cook. Since he didn't stink I took the loins, tenders, shoulders, hinds and flank meat for carnitas.

ya!

GWB

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That is a terrific boar and some very nice photos, too! I hope you got some rest and that the finger is healing up nicely. (Nope, guys, the boar didn't get Geedubya, but loading a generator onto his trailer got a little bloody!)

Was good to see you again, my friend...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gee, been thinking I was the only blood n tissue donor around here!

Seems like I can't even walk thru the door without drawing blood these days. No clue, but, shopping yesterday felt my hand getting sticky. Hell of a deal, was leaving a blood trail down the aisle even. Clerk about panicked when I asked for a paper towel to clean up a bit.

GW, heal it up soon!

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice boar with sharp cutters G. I'd take that red one and be happy. Want to do an 8 hour sub lease? How about I bring along a WWII GEW 98 bringback and 'forget' to take it home with me? Hah! I know, get in line pal. Seriously, dandy hog for sure.
Thanks for the pictures.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "tushes" from that boar.

pretty good, IMHO

and a few more.......

a two-fer of bar-b-que sized eaters!

JAPPFT,

GWB

One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
Still gettin' after them porkers!!
mike

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote