New
Find
Notify
Tools

Javelina Trophies?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I doubt I'll ever get to hunt them, but I've always wondered how folks show off their Javelinas, if they don't do the head mount. I've never been big on head mounts. I've only got horns and antlers on the wall, along with a set of tusks from my warthog.
Anybody have pictures of what you've done with these little guys?
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a number of years I went through a phase of mounting some of the stuff I shot. I doubt if I''ll ever do another mount other than a european, which I will do myself. These days I mostly take pictures

Here's the javelina mount I had done. I was not interested in a full body mount.......

Typical hero shot......

Up against the wall................

a close-up

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one at my taxidermist now. I hope it turns outas nice as GW's. I sent another out for dermastid beetle cleaning. Can'twait to hunt them again. I'm also having a hide tanned.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I don't have any of the pictures my clients sent me over the years, but as much time as I spent hunting those little critters, I NEVER saw a javelina that looked the way the popular shoulder mounts are done.

The best javelina mounts I have ever seen were all full body mounts.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Let's see, where have I seen one of these before.

Oh yeah, kinda reminds me of the critter on my wall.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Except its mouth ain't open in a snarl or what ever a person wants to call it.

I have seen and been in on the killing of at least a couple that looked just like the one in this last picture you posted, but I ain't ever seen one look like the one on your wall, which is the standard javelina mount, except it isn't natural.

Looks damn impressive, but it ain't a natural pose.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Randall,

ya got me there.

Perhaps you heard the old story about the three sailors that hit the whorehouse on arriving a port and taking leave. First one goes in and does his business. The lady remarks. Ah, 10 inches. Best I've had all day.

The second sailor goes in and does his business. The lady remarks. Ah, 8 inches, second best I've had all day. Third sailor comes in and drops trou. The lady look at him as he's climbing on the bed and says "who you think you're gonna please with that little thingy". Nonplussed, the 3rd sailor sez' ME MOFO,ME.

Course I always opine that I operate within a narrow band of mediocrity, so evidently my standards are lower than yours when it comes to animal mounts. The taxidemist pretty much did what I asked. I wanted to see his toofers. I'm happy.

Animal mounts kinda remind me of folks going to a funeral and looking at the cold clay that once was a vibrant human being. He looks like death warmed over, but folks say "don't he look like himself."

NO, He looks like he's made of wax.

I guess it's pretty much the same with critters. Once life passes they are pretty much dead meat.

Best,

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
so evidently my standards are lower than yours when it comes to animal mounts. The taxidemist pretty much did what I asked. I wanted to see his toofers. I'm happy.

Don't start taking stuff personal Dude. This don't have any thing to do with standards. The way you had yours mounted is the most popular way it is done.

All I said was that it is not a natural pose.

I could care less if you had the thing full body mounted, standing on its back legs wearing a TuTu and a Carmen Miranda head piece. It is your trophy and your money and many folks have theirs mounted the same way.

Last time I checked however each of us is entitled to our OWN OPINION, and from experience that pose while popular is not natural.

Sorry to have offended you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My good friend Randall, I did not take it personal and you never offend me.

I had hoped to make a humorous response.

Yes we are all entitled to our own opinions and I enjoy reading yours. Don't always agree, but enjoy it just the same.

I apologize if I gave offense.

Best,

GWB

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
GW,

I think the Javelina on your wall looks very mean. Smiler

It is interesting because I did stumble on a hog mount I love and he actually has his mouth closed. Thing looks so real it's freaky.

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com...boar-mount-pixs.html

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was not offended. I chalk it up to everyone on here and other sites being a good bit more testy these days due to all of the unrest and turmoil going on here at home and broad. I find it difficult to stay up beat when our country seems hell bent on self destruction.

As for the javelina mount, yours is as good as I have seen, for that pose. I am not sure when or where that particular pose for javelina mounts got started, but it has been the industry standard for decades. I remember seeing pictures of javelina mounts in that pose from the late 40's early 50's, long before I started hunting them or working with them at the zoo.

I am by that particular pose, the same way I am about the .30-06, I simply don't like it. It is impressive, but just not natural.

No offense taken, Sorry to have came across that way, it was unintentional.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regardless of whether they look natural or not.
Or whether you've ever seen one with it's mouth open in the wild.
They've got long nasty teeth n fangs for a reason. No doubt that reason has a lot to do with their fighting each other and hungry varmints.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George, I have watched javelina boars fighting several times at distances of less than 50 yards, plus the only animal that ever attacked and injured me during my 25 years at the Fort Worth Zoo was a javelina.

I remember that quite vividly and during the whole attack, he never looked like the way the standard javelina mounts look.

The majority of people like that pose, but some don't. I am one of those that don't simply because as I stated earlier I have never seen a javelina in the wild or captivity look that way even when being aggressive or fighting each other.

My personal preference is an open mouth skull European mount. It looks extremely impressive in my opinion, because without the skin it looks like some type of carnivore.

It is just my opinion, and while I do feel it is an informed opinion, it is an opinion and nothing more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess these didn't get the message......

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato, if you will look real close at your own picture and then real close at a good shoulder mount like Geedubya's, there is a lot of difference. You have your opinion and I have mine, and the standard pose used for javelina shoulder mounts is not natural.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd hang it on my wall and should have one
to represent all those I've killed.
Boiled a dozen of the big boar skulls
and gave them away till I didn't have
one for myself.
I'll kill one with my deadly (2 kills)
compound bow one day and never kill another.
They are a cool critter.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only animal I have ever killed with a bow was a javelina. It does not matter how a person has one mounted, they are fun to hunt.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Javelinas must be mounted ,they are very nice trophies and sometimes more difficult to hunt than russian boars and they injured many of my dogs too .Here in Argentina we have lipped peccary ,collared peccary and giant peccary very interesting hunts ,of this great animals that as i told before thay arent easy to hunt ..

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Pissing contest aside, here are my two Bfly.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both are good mounts.

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
quote:
GW,

I think the Javelina on your wall looks very mean.

It is interesting because I did stumble on a hog mount I love and he actually has his mouth closed. Thing looks so real it's freaky.

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com...boar-mount-pixs.html

I'm surprised all the folks on that site liked that mount to, the main fault is the tusks are in the wrong side
Still nice to see one mounted like that for a change, looks more natural, that is why I mounted my Warthog that way !

One other reason, bottom tusk were broken !

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I don't consider any hog worth mounting. I've got a frame of warthog tusks that looks nice and thought about shoulder mounting him, but decided against it. (I had a friend that shoulder-mounted a warthog and hung it over the toilet in the guest bathroom.)

I've shot a few dozen javelina, including nine at one go. I never saw a mad javelina. I saw a lot of confused javelina including the nine mentioned. I take that back, I saw one mad javelina at the Abilene Zoo forty years ago. We were waiting in line and this piglet was wandering in and amongst us. He acted like the biggest boar in the band every time someone tried to pick it up or touch it. I can imagine if threatened a javelina could get pretty nasty.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was raised on a big West Texas ranch crawling with Javalinas..Shot them for my dad at 25 cents for a pair of ears or tail with a .22 rifle single shot..They were destructive on plastic pipe water lines and new cedar fence posts..

No season back then in Texas. Now the season is a six months season last I checked..Only in the last 20 or so years has the Javalina become a sporting game animal, at least in Texas. The populations now are much less than they used to be, but still plentiful for sure.

As a game animal they are fun to hunt. I never considered mounting one but I bleached the skulls out on the extra big tusked males. I have also bleached some of the really trophy class warthog skulls and mounted them on a plaque, They make a decent and impressive trophy. A 17 inch or larger wart hog is an impressive skull mount. Texas feral hogs are pretty worthless as a trophy IMO, but sure make good bar b que..

I have kinfolks in central, East Texas, and the Texas Hill country, and wow! do they have the feral and half Russian hogs. it's an infestation there these days.

The Javalina mostly lives in South Texas, the Big Bend country, The Trans Pecos area with scattered bunches throughout the center of the state. I don't think East Texas has Javalina.

A Javalina won't hurt you, but the little rascal will make you hurt yourself as they do run at you because they are near blind and tend to scare folks Big Grin ..Stories of Javalina charges and people wounded by them is just pure BS..I've had them running between my legs in the thickest mesquite, jaws poping as usual and a squeal now and them, never in all those years did one ever try to bite me and Lord knows they had ever opertunity, as I caught their babies to make pets out of them. I don't know anyone that has been bitten or injured by them..I've had a few pets and they sometimes got noisy and aggressive but never bit anyone and that was after they got over their fear of man, but only with strangers, same as the dogs.

A really big Javalina will weigh 30 to perhaps 35 pounds and average about 25 lbs or less I recall weighing one that weighed 33 pounds and I would have guessed 50 lbs!..Stories of 50 and 60 pound Javalina are guesstamates, much like 350 pound Mule Deer, its fantasy, I have weighed hundreds of both over the years.

My near death experience with a Javalina occoured one day when I heard my bobcat set (trap) rattling in a sandy draw and I followed the trail about a foot wide with Tasajia cactus (bad stuff)for about 20 yards and here came a Javalina right at me packing a trap and poping his teeth, I showed no fear until the last minute and I bailed off into the Tasajia and I spent the next hour and a half extracting those long thin sharp spears from my hide, hands and face..I near died of the pain! shocker The hog ran out into the ranch road where the truck was parked and my son killed it with a shovel when it hung the drag on a mesquite..I got pretty sick but healed up and haired over in a few days. The barbs hook on entry have a very mild poison and will make you feel poorly for awhile if you get too many of them in you or so I'm told and certainly believe it.

LIKE I SAID, A JAVALINA WON'T HURT YOU BUT HE WILL SURE AS HELL MAKE YOU HURT YOURSELF.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good post, but from 1998 till 2011, I did a guided javelina hunt operation on a 20K ranch east of Fort Stockton, and with good scales, the biggest javelina any of my clients killed was 68 pounds live weight.

Over the years, we killed plenty of javelina that weighed in the 50 to 60 pound range. I remember at least a dozen animals between 60 and 65 pounds during that time.

It helped that there was about 700 acres of irrigated alfalfa on the property and there was very little hunting pressure on the javelinas.

They are fun little animals to hunt if a person gets out and actually hunts them.