New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good tips on butchering
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 2662 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good info for beginners or shitty dwellers.
Did they really not get the ribs or tenders ?
Why not ?

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in FL we try to keep the gators fed pretty well so they don't start gnawing on the invading Yankees. Hence, leaving the poor cuts for the lizards!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Circumstances.

If its 90 to 115 degrees out, pretty much don't open the bugger up.

If I only want pulled pork or a loin, I don't open the bugger up.

If I've shot several and I'm looking forward to an adult beverage I don't open the bugger up.

If I'm in need of sausage makings, I take the whole hog.

skinned

quartered and backstraps pulled.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it is a regional difference. I have never had one from Florida opened up, and from Texas I have never had one that wasn't. I like getting all I can. The dog has to eat too. He loves neck bones.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also wonder how you get pork chops w/o opening them up ?

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it is a regional difference.

That sums it up pretty well.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you have any idea where the pork chops are located? don't sound much like it.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "Pork Chops" are the loin strips along the spine basically running from just in front of the hams all the way to the front shoulders.

Many folks refer to it as the backstrap. To actually get pork chops, the back, meat and spine are taken out in one piece, then split lengthwise and then the "Chops" with the bone in are cut off each side.

Most of the time, at least in this area, we just cut the back straps off each side of the spine and those can and those can be cut into "Boneless" chop/cutlet. Once the back straps are cut from the carcass, with a little effort, a person can reach in under the spine and fish out the tender loins.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot 4 hogs and a javelina between the last two Thursdays (1 week period). Only opened up the Javelina.

took the loins (backstraps), shoulders,and hams. If I want to make "carnitas" I will take the neck meat and the meat along the outside of the ribcage.

Quick and EZ.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the average hunter, Geedubya's pictures are a great example of the best way to go with pigs and deer if the hunter is doing most or all of the processing themselves.

"Pork Chops" or Bone In chops in general are pretty labor intensive if a person doesn't have access to a band saw.

Lora and I enjoy bone in chops, but getting the back bone split with a butchers hand saw and then cutting the individual chops leaves me with sore arms/hands for a couple of days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do I know where pork chops come from/are located? My hands laboring on a dead hog. Oh, you can easily get the back straps off. Anybody w/ a brain can do that. And, they are great. But, they are not chops. 'Chops' have a rib bone connected to the spine WITH the meat.
Getting pork chops off wild hogs is very labor intensive, but well worth it in my opinion.
I'd be interested to see you get pork chops' Off a hog w/o opening it up. Easily, if you are claiming a cross cut piece of blackstrap is a 'chop'.
George, Do you know where pork chops come from/are located ? No it does not depend on what your definition of is is.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Hi GWB

I like the look of that black handled knife. Seems like it would do the pig breakdown job pretty well. Can you give me some details and where to find one?

quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:

Posts: 422 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sir,

Dale Howe made the knife.

http://www.howemtnknives.com/

I had been using a Cold Steel Outdoorsman for splitting briskets on deer and hogs. During the last two years I've begun collecting/using custom knives. I tried several makers before asking Dale if he would mind trying. I told him what I wanted it for and how I planned to use it. I told him I wanted it thick enough not to deflect under force/pressure, and that I wanted to be able to use two hands. One with a grip in back and the other hand open, palm down to slice through a brisket. Yes I know one could use a saw or a hatchet, but I wanted a custom knife to do this. Dale said he would attempt it. The scales are Black Micarta, and it has red liners. Steel is 154 CM.

As you can probably tell, I'm thrilled with the results. Have split briskets on close to a dozen hoglets, a javelina and an Aoudad. Like a knife through butter.

Here is one more that I just got in from him. Not as beefy, but I like it. Also 154 CM, bead blasted, exhibition Cocobolo. I call the first my "Brisket Breaker".

This one I'm gonna call the "Rib-Tickler".

You can contact Dale at his website. He also posts and answers PM's on 24hourcampfire in the Knives and Blades forums.........

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...e_knives#Post7361949

Best,

GWB

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
GWB

Thanks for the info on Dale, and for the insight into your design criteria. Very helpful.

Posts: 422 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Split the hide down the back and peel the backstrap on a pig or a deer is a damn good start, then take the hind quarters..shoulder and neck made chili meat. You can open them up or not, I can do it either way on deer or pigs. I do like deer liver, not so much feral hog liver, rather buy pork liver a the store. A young pig skinned and gutted and washed and on a spit over mesquite wood ain't too shabby for sure. Guting pigs or deer doesn't bother me at all regardless of weather.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote