New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not a bad weeks haul
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m currently working 7 traps set on 4 properties. My two largest traps have 3G cameras sending me pics of the door but with the others I’m reliant on the property owner checking the trap and ringing to let me know if something is caught.

Last Sunday lunchtime I got a call from the property furthest from home: 6 piglets in the only trap on his place built with 2 inch square reo mesh - the other 3 are 6x8 square mesh. Supposedly the sow was hanging around oblivious to his tractor when he checked the trap.
A long drive later the piglets were bagged up and all traps freshly baited and reset.

Monday afternoon another call from the same property, another 8 littluns in the same trap.

Thursday morning I look over the pics sent from the cameras to see 6 pigs munching the corn in front of my biggest corral trap. This trap had received no attention from pigs for so long that I’d turned the spinner in it off - there was a mouldy pile beneath it - and put off replacing the kinked wire core trip line until I’d seen evidence of pigs in the area. Replaced the line and turned the feeder back on to spit out a pound at 3am and put out 20L of fermented corn.

Friday morning the camera reveals we had 7 small pigs caught before the spinner had even gone off. Another 20L bucket of fermented corn was poured out once those 7 were bagged up.

Saturday morning I check the camera and find another 3 in the trap: 2 sows and a juvenile boar. A bit of knife work later and we’d pulled out 12 piglets from the largest sow and 5 from the smaller one.
Almost made it to my door Saturday afternoon before a call from the property with 4 traps: another piglet in one trap and a boar in another. Managed to get out there, shoot the pigs, rebait the traps and get back to the property gate before needing to turn on the headlights... just.

So far no calls or pics of pigs this morning, might get time for a feed of bacon and eggs....

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GBE----You better slow down, there wont be any bacon left.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty good haul it sounds like.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5938 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
A fine bit of work, right?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5092 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This "fun" is turning into work. GW

The possibilities for disaster boggle the mind.