Find
Notify
Tools

A very unique javelina!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
With the hunter's permission I am sharing this with everyone.

By CJ Sibert, Webb County, Texas.

Incredible female javelina I took in Webb County this weekend. Quite possibly the most unique animal I have ever taken. You can quickly see by her coloration, that this Javelina is different. I am guessing it is a piebald but will have to rely on sources such as “Professional Javelina Skinner Greg Simons or “Mr. Whitetail” Larry Weishuhn or Jack Brittingham or Jim Breck Bean or Jimmy Fontenot or anyone else to help me figure it out. I can tell you that of the 20+ people with probably 1 million plus Javelina sightings in their life, that I have talked to in the last day, none had seen one like it. I know I haven’t!!!! Please sound off if you have an idea or if like me or one of the 20+ people above, you have never seen one. I’m beyond proud of this guy and would love to figure it out!!!

Special thanks to Clyde A Dugie Jr , Thomas E. Dodier & Jay Leyendecker for spending an awesome couple days tooling around South Texas with me. We took 2 once in a lifetime animals that I will remember the rest of my life!!!

~Ann

Posts: 19150 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Astounding. I love to see the variations the Big Guy has given us. And I enjoy eating them usually. I guess I'm a PETA member. Yeah, you know what I mean, if you are on this forum! Congrats to the hunter. I would like to know what it would cost to have that in a full body mount? Be Well and Mery Christmas, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually have one just like that on my LaSalle county ranch in South Texas. I've been seeing him/her for the last five years or so. It was the only one I've ever seen in a lifetime of hunting South Texas. I nicknamed him/her Rusty.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I wonder what genetic factor causes the strange coloring of them? Doesn't look like leucism nor would it be piebald. Brindling?

~Ann

Posts: 19150 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Damn Larry... where was that trophy when we were tooling around the pasture?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I keep him hidden. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive killed latterly hundreds of them, and grew up on a ranch full of them and ranched my own ranches that had many of them..Killed them for 25 cents apiece for dad on a leased old Mexico ranch, they are hell on plastic pipelines and ceder posts...I have never seen one like that but did shoot two Albinos on the Mexico ranch...

I remember when there was no season on them, when the 6 months season, then a 6 month season with a limit on them in parts of texas and the Big Bend Trans Pecos...Best I recall its been a long time.

Seems there is at least one left..If it was on my ranch Id shoot it and mount it before it becomes Lion or Bobcat bait, or dies of old age, never to be recovered..It needs to be preserved IMO...I wish I had those two Albinos mounted, but back then nobody really got excited about it..I guess we were to busy trying to make a living ranching, Nobody ate Javalinas in that part of the country and probably still don't. They feed on Lechegui, stool, and dagger..South Texas Javalina if young eat good.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote