New
Find
Notify
Tools

They're Back
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The hogs are becoming regulars at the Belmont trap--9 of last 10 nights, so I'll set it Wednesday afternoon and hopefully catch this sounder.

They have moved back into my local place as well, though not as regular. Sounder with about the same size adults but there are a half-dozen little striped footballs. I will be out and about Tuesday night!!!!

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good deal, sharpen the blades!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Went out and saw nothing but 'coons, coyotes, armadillos, skunks, and deer. The neighbor's Montana visitors have been hunting for about a week and have killed 14. Night before last they saw 36 on their side of the fence, and the night before that they saw 25 on my side of the fence. Hogs do respond to hunting pressure for sure, but they'll be back.

Rain in the forecast through Monday so I'll be setting the trap Tuesday--

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trap is set--this is one of my "customers" along with a group of sows and shoats. Rather have the sows in the trap in the AM and leave the boar for arrow-catching purposes.

Report to follow--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of what you show us are wild domestic pigs.

Do you get any non natives like some areas?

Time to get the .22 out again huh?

Do you wear ear plugs to reduce the squeels?

Happy culling in the morning.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George--I have only seen one in all my hog hunting years that looked like it might have some Euro-genes. Here's the pic. This was on our lease further south of San Antonio--we called him Timex because we swore he had one on and had the alarm set to the feeder spin times. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that's an UGLY brute.
There's some mixed blood in that one for sure.

Did you bust him?

Those I shot in Fla. had massive shoulders
and skinny ass ends. No ridge backs though.

The guy claimed to import trapped hogs from
4 hours south. That would be around the Everglades near as I can figure out.

His place is about ten miles N of Larry Shores
hog & quail ranch. Just N of Cedar Key Fla. Place nearest is called Tiger Island.

With so many hogs around Larry's place I wonder why this guy hauls more in from down south.

Thanks for sharing the picture. Very interesting to see what they look like from various places.

Did you check the trap today?

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't shoot Timex--just enjoyed watching him-and he wasn't aggressive at all. Didn't try to run off the deer and other hogs. Just vacuumed corn.

Landowner checked the trap--nothing again. Going to leave it set two more nights then shut it down Saturday and back at it next Wednesday. Family will be here Mon-Tues and I have workday at church Weds AM so can't take care of any catch. Usual things that interfere with my hog killing.

Your story about importing hogs to hunt--my home state of Missouri is going all-out to eliminate the ferals that started with folks importing them for year-round hunting. They recognize what they do to the environment and don't want it to get out of control.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Took 'em several nights but last night they fell for our scheme--6 of them. The big boar weighed 198 and I had to shoot him 4 times in the head before he went down--anyone have any armor-piercing .22 LR ammo?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just hit 'em right is all that's needed.

Don't use HP's though, even domestic butcher
hogs will stop them with the muzzle against
their head.

That one resembles your timex hog. same long
brown fur.

Gotta feed the vultures.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
George---long coat, but it was black---he had been in the tank next to the trap in the red mud wallow.

First shot was between the eyes about halfway up his forehead at 3-feet. Dropped him to his knees but immediately back up shaking his head and running around the trap. Second shot mid-way on a line from eye to ear hole at about 10', then one behind the ear quartering away, and the final one in the forehead again. Ammo is Federal Auto-Match, 1200 fps solids. I have some 1280 fps solids I'll try next time.

Worked in a slaughterhouse in college--I remember a bull that took 3-4 shots from a .22 in the head with muzzle against the head. Again, first one knocked him down, the rest he just shuddered. One of the killing floor workers lived about a block away and went for his .30-30, which did the trick. But--have you ever heard a .30-30 inside an enclosed room?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No never heard a .30/30 like that.

I DID once at 15y/o have an '06 go off between
me and the asshole riding shotgun inside a closed '50 ford pickup. Both of us had severe powder burns on our faces.

My ears have been ringing since. 62 years now.

Ever since I've been a radical SOB about

"Muzzle Down or walk".

Big bulls and I assume hogs need more shooting
to kill them. I've never run into it and have
shot a bunch of beef. Though no big bulls.

I shot a 1200# steer with my Blackhawk .30 carbine at about 15' once.

He didn't bleed more than half gallon. Bullet was found embedded in the back half the Atlas joint. 11" penetration. More than enough.

We grilled steaks side by side from him and one that bled well from a .22lr. We couldn't tell any difference in taste.

Sounds like you hit him right. Might have been just a Hard Head! Or all that mud in the way.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
There some Russian in timex I suspect..Ive shot a few like him on a ranch I booked for in North Texas...Some of the old ranchers turned loose Russians and the cross took off big time..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I think I might grow fond of Timex if I watched him for very long. That boar has some charisma all right. Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote