New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another lone hog pestering the crop(s).
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got a call stating fresh hog sign in a newly planted peanut field... I'm thinking another wandering boar hog of decent size and seemingly not impressed by the electric fence.
I've placed a Spartan camera hoping to get a picture of the beast so as to begin a rendezvous event.
I'd much rather deal with a sounder of hogs via the trap(s) than chase these lone boars via sporadic photo events and foot race but it seems there isn't an option.

Posts: 225 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey it's the Hunt and challenge that's the thrill!

Enjoy it while it lasts.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes... the challenge I guess.

He made a showing at 0134 last night (15 May 2021) slowly picking at some corn I sprinkled near a rooted up hole.

At 0203 he was dead on the ground, as suspected he was the only hog in the peanut field (about 46 acres).
I parked the truck a goodly distance out, approach hidden by trees and I still had a walk of about 750 to 800 yards (about 1 minute per 100 yards for a brisk walk speed) to get into shooting range.

This morning I went back for my standard review of the event, pick up brass, follow tracks for hog entry location(s), photo op of course. He didn't fall on the first shot (about 80 yards), he was quartering left at that time and the secondary run was short but exciting, four more rounds fired, three more hits and it was over.

I'm gonna guess he is easily 200 lbs, pulls hard for this old man.
I kept the head for the teeth once they're easily removable.

Posts: 225 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Another good Feral. Be Well, Packy.

posted Hide Post
Good work, what is going to happen when we are too old to do this work? Won't get done.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FredH1

It is possible someone will take up the slack but as yet I haven't found anyone interested in doing so.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DKing:
FredH1

It is possible someone will take up the slack but as yet I haven't found anyone interested in doing so.

I am too far away now, but will offer a hint. When I lived in Raleigh, good public hunting was scarce.
I'd drive two or three hours to one of the public areas listed in the game regulations, only to find that it had been leased out to a club.

Not much to hunt here, I mostly hunt Wyoming and Montana on non-resident licenses. I do like a good road trip..

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14371 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote