THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    bruiser of a boar vs. "marginal" 30-30; recovered bullet photo included

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bruiser of a boar vs. "marginal" 30-30; recovered bullet photo included
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

For the first time in ages, I got a shot at a hog with a bit of daylight remaining. I had just stepped outside to let our 2 small dogs back inside and noticed the deer on high alert. I stepped a bit farther out and saw a big boar making his way towards the feeder. I already had a rifle on my sandbags "just in case," so I slipped over to the edge of the yard to try and get a shot.

He was quartering away at an oblique angle, so I hesitated on taking a shot. Within seconds, he sensed something he didn't like and took off, disappearing over the edge of the creek bank. But five minutes later he reappeared and gave me a stationary, broadside 170 yard shot.

The 150 grain Speer Gold Dot Bonded Blackout bullet took the bruiser through the chest, penetrating 2 layers of 1.25" cartilage shield and heavily damaging the lungs in the process. The impact was through the scapula and a rib, exiting through a rib on the opposite side and stopping just under the hide on the far side. At the shot, the hog staggered, whirled and made 38-40 yards before tipping over.

I haven't weighed the recovered bullet yet but anticipate it will be over 130 grains -- and the mushroom is textbook.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding. Another one bites the dust!

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The recovered projectile weights 140.5 grains, albeit with some blood and tissue still attached. The mushroom is textbook and measures .564 at its widest point.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can’t argue with that.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a nice boar!

Posts: 698 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Here are the cutters.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot dog, a full grown boar this time.
Isn't this about the biggest one you've
killed in a long time?

Hope you're doing better these days.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Hot dog, a full grown boar this time.
Isn't this about the biggest one you've
killed in a long time?

Hope you're doing better these days.

George

Thanks. I keep fighting the health problems as best as I can -- more bad days than good but I'm just thankful to still be around. How are things with you?

As to the boar, he was big but a couple of the others from this year were similar in size. It's just that I don't kill many anymore since I can't get out and hunt. Anything I've taken the past 10 or 12 years has been sniped from the front yard. Also, unless I have help, I am relegated to using the same old boring poses time after time -- and those poses make them look smaller than they are since I refuse to use wide angle distortion for effect.

Here are 2 from July:

I'd much rather pose them like the photo below instead of flat on the ground and taking the photo from above, but with a big hog, that requires a bit of effort and strength -- something I just don't have much of anymore.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby:

Don't try to kid yourself, many of us wish we
could shoot a few hogs like you do as you feel
up to getting out there.

Laying your rifles on or next to them gives a
very good indication of size. Only thing I
can think of we don't actually know so far.
Is the length of the guns over all. i'm sure
most of us could guess within 6" though.

The thing with me, knowing the shape you're in
then weeks go by and not a word from you gets
to being a concern of how you're doing.

Right now a long time buddy last we heard had
dialysis needs get too bad unknown. Passed out, woke up a week later having had it done and a stent in his heart while in a 4 day coma. it's been three days now and no reply to several texts. "In rehab at least the next 30 days", last word was Friday am.

Same old s up here. Got on the nurse and staff's butt's today for not getting orders called in to the hosp for a bone scan in two weeks. Three weeks today since the dr ordered it. Now it's set for 12/6. About damned time! I know he won't be happy when I tell him about it. At least my problems are just pains (for now) at least these are not going to be fatal. Tried a few of those on and they didn't want my chips I guess, so i'm still around bitching.

Last Wed about 3am I got up to p and stepped over the dog laying in the doorway and fell hard on this plastic knee, jammed my back and still pains. I was hoping I'd destroyed the joint so I could get it redone right. Still hope so. 13 months on a knee replacement and still crippled isn't right. I'm 3 months past 49 years since wrecking them. Getting mighty close to time they were fixed.

Hang in there Bobby, you've got lots of support on this site.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby, Good to see you are still making things difficult for the hogs, that one is a dandy!

That gold dot sure did it’s job. I have had good luck with Speer bullets, the hot cores in particular.

Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a lot of stock in what you say about bullet performance. You are rolling up a pretty good sample size. Keep on plunking them.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Keep up the posts man. Always a treat. Wish I was there.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shame on you Bobby, the 30-30 ain't marginal even with that light bullet, if so its on the right side of marginal.. old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ray-

If you noticed, I put "marginal" in quotes. I never personally said it is so and tout its effectiveness -- as I always have. And I don't consider a 150 grainer in 30-30 "light," as you call it, either. Smiler

After HUNDREDS of kills with various 30-30-based wildcats (and a few with the ol' 30-30 itself), you'll never hear me doubting the effectiveness of such rounds.

If there's anything here in Texas I can't kill inside of 300 yards with one of my Contender rifles and their mild chamberings, I couldn't kill it with something more potent, either. Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That boy has quite a bit of "Russian" in him.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
Good boar Bobby and good to hear from you again. I hope the new year brings you happiness, prosperity, and good health.

Posts: 710 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

Love the threads. I normally hand load but I picked some 150 Gold Dot 308 ammo really cheap. It shoots sub Moa in two different rifles. I figured it was same a Fusions but it's still nice to see such good results posted on the bullets.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote