New
Find
Notify
Tools

A QUICK STORY
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When I was in my late teens to early 20's I read an article on javelina hunting in the south west. The writer used a Marlin M62 in .256 WM. The article sure caught my attention as in 1975 I bought the same rifle for $125.oo
Fast foward to 2007 I hunted with Randall Weems (a member here that has passed) in Texas and harvested my javalina with my .256W.

Took a long time but my dreams were fulfilled---Thanks Randall!

Hip

Posts: 1822 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing your good times

with a fine fellow member.

Too bad he had that fatal accident.

I sold him a scope and they had planned to

come up here for a visit later that summer.

All our lives have been diminished.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Rest in peace, Randall. You are missed.
I tried to reach out to his widow, Lora, but never heard back.
That Model 62 is a rare rifle!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Good ol' Randall.
Lora certainly was devastated and just wanted to be left alone.
Those two were best friends and he would stop by the store where she worked twice a day when I was there.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The writer used a Marlin M62 in .256 WM. The article sure caught my attention as in 1975 I bought the same rifle for $125.oo

Well, I paid a little more than that for my .256 Levermatic, but I bought it about 30 years later that you. Bought it mainly to complete my set of Levermatics -- 56, 57, 57M, 62 (.30 carbine), and .256 (they cataloged a .22 Jet, but it was never made). I've never hunted anything with it, but javelinas would be a pretty good match for the little cartridge. I have a few factory loads, but have conjured together some handloads by re-forming .357 Magnum brass. Not easy, but can be done.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read that less than 10,000 of the M62 in .256W had been made. I also read where the writer came across one in .22 Jet but he thought it was a prototype.
I form .256 brass outa .357M brass cases. I anneal first then lube with Imperial sizing die wax and kinda bump the cases into the FL sizing die----I Do Not try to size down the necks and shoulders in one pass! It just wouldn't work for me.
I have also fireformed .22 Rem.Jet brass using the corn meal method---those cases lasted a couple more reloads than the reformed .357 brass. Brass life is 6-8 reloads and sometimes If I am lucky 10 reloads but I always try NOT to push the shoulders back.

Hip

Posts: 1822 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote