New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedroom Window Porkers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Where we live I'm blessed to have enough land around my house to be able to safely shoot just about any direction I choose, we also have lots of coyotes and recently quite a few pigs visiting our place. We have one 12 acre pasture that I leave pretty much as is, pretty thick mesquite, briers and tall grass...keep cattle off of it and don't bother it much. There are a few deer in the area and they frequent this pasture, sort of a safe haven (unfortunately, despite the best efforts of 2 game wardens, deer season lasts about 12 months around here). Anyway, my wife and I walked thru the pasture checking fence yesterday and discovered that pigs have returned in force and pretty much rooted up a whole lot of the place. So, last night about 9:00 pm I looked out of my bedroom window thru the Pulsar thermal scope on an AR 15 and counted 27 pigs rooting around about 200 yards from our house. I shot and dropped the biggest one, then shot 6 more times at running pigs. This morning I took my 11 year old Treeing Walker hound over there and damned if she didn't find 3 little ones. Has no training but I guess it's just bred into them. She did miss one though, I found another small one this afternoon while on my tractor trying to repair some of the damage so there are 5 fewer pigs to tear stuff up. Maybe they will stay away for a while. I'm trying to get some photos posted and if imgur will work they will be there shortly. Also, we have gotten 4 coyotes out of that same window in the past 10 days, I shot two with my AR after dark, one with a .300 WM in the day and my wife shot one with the same .300 WM in the daytime.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2744 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey--that's a great report---love the thermal scope.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Well done! Your place sounds similar to ours, and I have "windowed" vermin quite a few times out here. We have no screen on the kitchen window for that very reason ha ha.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Well done! Your place sounds similar to ours, and I have "windowed" vermin quite a few times out here. We have no screen on the kitchen window for that very reason ha ha.

Bedroom windows are double hung and with the top sash down, the perfect height for my wife to shoot coyotes.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2744 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Welcome to what is kind of a "hillbilly" club...those of us fortunate enough to be able to "hunt" from the house! I've cancelled coyotes in almost all directions from the house, and pigs to the south.

The other day I was out in the pasture and the She-Wolf texted that there was a big main frame eight point feeding out by the propane tank. When I asked if she was gonna shoot him, she replied, "No, he's too pretty!".

The hogs and yodel dogs may catch hell, but I swear we're running The Grassy Knoll Home for Wayward Whitetails around here!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 603 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote