Find
Notify
Tools

Binocular Choices.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Nikkon ATB 10-42 now
Its a good Tool but its ten years old and the new stuff seems much better.
I took it with me to cabela,s the other day ,
And did comparisons.
There was a stuffed cougar 70 yards away, And with several to chose from, i think the best choices for a guy like me were the Nikkon Monarch 7 10x42 at 500.00 the Cabela,s euro jobs for 900.00 and a Vortex Model all 10x42.
With each of these i could make out the Whiskers on the cougar. The Cabelas were the best
But 900.00 is a little rich for me.
So its down to the Nikkon and the Vortex , any body have any advise ? ...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend getting the best glass you can afford (cry once) For years I been using Leica 8x32. every time I bring them to my eyes I think wow! I don't know what that's worth to you but I know what its worth to me. If your younger and going to use them a lot, think of all the years of wow! Trust me, you'll forget about the price.

Posts: 124 | Location: Hickory, PA | Registered: 13 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with kurtbe. Buy the best you can afford, and maybe a little bit more. I bought Leicas 6 or 8 years ago, wished I would have done that years ago. Look at lots of binos, get the ones that look best to your eyes.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree on liecas best to my eyes. If you can in any way swing best quality optics do it. For years rarely if ever hunted with binds. After buying good glass for an Afican trip I never hunt without them. They add so much quality to your hunting and general outdoor activities it is probably the best all around piece of outdoor equipment to have. Saves me many steps and adds much quality to my hunts. I learned this late in my hunting career but if I was starting again knowing what I know now I would get the best I could even if I had to sell a gun or two to get them. I got off your question a bit but I hope it helps

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I suggest you take a look at the Steiner binoculars. They are used by military organizations world-wide. They are not in the same class as Leica or Swarovski but they cost considerably less.

The Steiner 10x50 Military/Marine can be had for less than $450 and have very, very good optics. I used various models of the Military/Marine for decades and found them to be clear, bright, waterproof, and rugged. Steiner also offers their Nighthunter XP 10x42 Roof Prism model for about $650 if you want to go up a step in "twilight" capability. The performance of either of these binoculars is about as close as you will get to the high end optics without paying 2-3 times as much.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentelmen Leica , cost as much as i paid for my car ! Stiener, might be an option , i wonder if i could find some around here to look at.
Optics improve at a pretty impressive rate.
The 500 dollar ones on the market today are as good as 1000 dollar glass from 10years ago !...tj3006

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold Mojave 3
I have found to be the best in class. American made with unbeatable warranty.
Light weight and very clear.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chil
I looked at the Mojave , and wanted them to win, as leupold is about 20 miles from my house, but both the Nikon and Vortex appeared brighter to me.
Also the guy at Cabelas said th mojave is not American made.
I bought the Nikon monarch 7 and will be going hunting tomorrow so my review will be coming...tj3006

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meoptas seem to rate right up there with the Germanic brands in optical testing....great value.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
On a budget I'd go with a Cameraland Minox open box special. Schott glass on par with Zeiss Conquest, an unbeatable warranty and decent ergos.

http://www.cameralandny.com/op....pl?page=minox_62049

I have to sets of their HG bins and they are very good. Not quite as good as my Zeiss Victory 10x32's or my Leica 10x42 HDs but decent nonetheless.

Another option could be Meopta Meostars. Their glass consistently impresses me.

Actually, I'd suggest just giving Doug at Cameraland a call and seeing what he has stuffed away in a corner. He's done me good many a scope and bino.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2309 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Cabelas are made by Meopta, I think. They compared favorably to Zeiss, Leica, and Swaro when I did eye chart tests at Cabelas, and brightness comparisons outside. I think they're very good.

I thought Nikon 7's were better than Vortex for acuity, but Vortex was maybe brighter.

I thought best for the $ below the Cabelas Euro's was the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD's. Brightest by far with best resolution of sub $900 binos. I bought a pair. Rainguard really works and they don't fog up. Would only buy a pair I could touch first as some bad units seem to make it past QC.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's easy to find great glass/optics for $500. Build quality and something that will stand up to hard hunting use (not abuse)? Not so much. The Vortex Vipers I've had, an 8x32 and an 8x42, each had great glass and weak/flimsy eyecups and average overall built quality. I'd personally save up an extra $3-400 and get the Cabelas Euro, as they are fantastic optically, and built extremely well.

http://www.cabelas.com/product...=Instinct+binoculars

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't tell any meaningful difference between the Meopta Meostar (or Cabelas Eurostar) and the couple pairs of Leicas and Swaros I've looked through. Binos are subjective to some degree though and I can see how others might disagree.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
My wife bought me a pair of Nikon 10x42 Prostaffs for our anniversary. I realise the Monarchs should be better but these seem pretty good. Best of all, I'm amazed how light they are, which is important when you want to carry them around a lot.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not buy Monarchs. Decent glass, but
built like crap. My dad has owned two pair. His second pair do not even focus after less than a year of use.

I bought my wife a pair of minox a few years back that were on sale from camera land. They were $250. Very good glass and much better than the Monarchs. I did have to replace a deal on them however. But, they
were under warranty and I received great service.

Good optics are worth the $$.

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look through the Mojave Pro Guide 10x42s..

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muttly:
Take a look through the Mojave Pro Guide 10x42s..

I just bought a pair of these..compared them to my Swarovski's when I got home they are as clear and solid as far as I can tell and at a 1/3 of the price.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to check those out if I'm ever in the market for binos again.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
built like crap. My dad has owned two pair. His second pair do not even focus after less than a year of use.

Did your father send them back for repair? I've been using little Nikon 8x25 glasses for bush hunting for many years now and have had no trouble whatsoever. I am not so keen on their scopes, though, as I don't think they really understand the needs of hunters using rifles.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
After purchasing them in Germany almost 35 years ago I have extensively used a pair of 10x42 Optolyth Alpin binoculars. West German made, rubber armoured, lightweight and good optics. To date when compared with most other binoculars my hunting colleagues have been using they are tops in poor light particularly noticeable on dull overcast days when glassing for chamois and tahr in the Alps, they really brighten up the day. I have always taken good care of them and they have remained in as new condition with unmarked lenses.
Don’t see this brand mentioned much but Optolyth is an old German company which has been around for years so they must have a reasonable market out there somewhere.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try to contact Steve99. He does a lot of testing of different binoculars, and I believe he lives in your area. Might be able to hook up and look thru some different models.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to EBAY and find a pair of Rochester NY made Bausch & lombs---save several hundred dollars and get the best--a no brainer in my books.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of 8x32 Liecas, they work perfectly for me..I don't care for heavy. bulky, powerful binocs, can't hold the steady without a rest, burdensome to pack, I can scan a mountain side with my 8x32s standing and hold them steady enough with one hand, to see spikes on a deer if meat hunting up to a hundred or so yards and can cover a lot of country when scanning a canyon or mountain side with my back against a tree.....Just a better power for my style of hunting. For the long range hunter they are probabl less than suitable.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Actually doing a side by side comparison is the best way to buy binoculars. Choose the pair your eyes like best in your price range and call it good.

A few years back I decided I wanted a "good" pair so I looked at Swaros, Leicas and Zeiss. I had a prior preference for Leica but after comparing I found I liked the Swaro SLC HD's best so that's what I bought.

One brand in the cheaper category that still amazes me with their quality is the Bushnell Legend series. I've had a pair my wife bought me years ago and even compared to the expensive brands it holds up pretty well.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the vortex line of products. I have several scopes and binomfrom them and am very happy.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swaro el 10x42 has my vote for a more compact size I use swaro 8x30. Liam's previous poster said cry once buy the very best and enjoy them for the rest of your life. I bought my 8x30 swaros 20 years ago and broke the bank when I did so but have regretted the purchase.

Posts: 78 | Location: Alaska  | Registered: 22 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used binoculars for hunting and boating all my life. I have good eyesight and can use any binoculars.

Go to a store that has many choices and look through each binocular yourself and buy the ones you see best with.

That's what the eye doctor does! They ask us what lens we see best with and make glasses based on what we select.

While I have had Hensoldt 8X56 Nacht Dylyts for most of my life and they are superb I now have switch power binoculars and I like them even better.

I have both Nikon 7-15X 35mm Zoom's and Leupold 7X-12X 32mm Switch Powers I prefer the Leupold's being so light and handy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are the Switch Power's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is generally believed that for observation with magnification of binoculars should not exceed 7-8. If the multiplicity is greater then desirable palmrest, otherwise the discernibility of objects becomes low. This is a very old rule, it was used for military binoculars in the late 19th century.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steiner designed their Peregrine model in an attempt to move up-market against, Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss, with world class glass. But people didn't associate Steiner with $2,000 binos, so they didn't sell. I just picked up a pair in 10x44 for $550. Nice! :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:

Did your father send them back for repair? I've been using little Nikon 8x25 glasses for bush hunting for many years now and have had no trouble whatsoever. I am not so keen on their scopes, though, as I don't think they really understand the needs of hunters using rifles.

Sambar:

No, not yet. The last pair that he owned needed to be warrantied as well. This he did and ultimately they sent him a new pair. Nikon does have good customer service. However, when we are hunting in September and October, the last thing I want to do is send in equipment to be warrantied!

On another note, I have several Nikon rifle scopes that have served me well.

I have said it before (maybe not here) but, binoculars are one of the best investments you will make (a close second to your gun)! I have tried Vortex. Glass seems nice but seem as if they are cheaply built (JMO).

Sorry for the late respone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Steiner designed their Peregrine model in an attempt to move up-market against, Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss, with world class glass. But people didn't associate Steiner with $2,000 binos, so they didn't sell. I just picked up a pair in 10x44 for $550. Nice! :-)

Sounds like you made a GREAT choice!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since one usually only owns one pair of binocs in a lifetime, I went with the Lieca 8-40s and shortly thereafter traded them to a friend of mine for his 8x32s that I liked better, and we both were happy as a pig in poop. I have never have regretted that decision..

For an inexpensive pair of binocs, I was very impressed with the Bushnell Legends that I borrowed a couple of years ago because I forgot my binocs..they were very good indeed and they don't cost an arm and a leg..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If spending less than $1000 i would strongly suggest choosing a a pair of 7 or 8 power binos.

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Start searching eBay after Christmas, there tends to be some as new in the box stuff that people received for Christmas and didn't want.

I purchased a Steiner Nighthunter XP 8X42 for about 350.00 less than the cheapest price I could find elsewhere. I called Steiner/Burris, and conformed that they were genuine Steiner, and validated the warranty.

Posts: 91 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 15 February 2012Reply With Quote