New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why I buy Leupold
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
this last hunt my VX2 3x9 x 40 hit a rock hard, hard enough to break the glass. Being my only rifle in camp I carried it anyways. With a clients wounded mule deer on the move I had to finish the deer off at 400 yards. It wasn't a perfect shot but dumped the deer in it tracks. Not many scopes will hold center after an impact like that. I guess i will send it in and see if they will fix it for me. It is my lucky scope on my lucky rifle with many snap shots hitting their mark over the years.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a Vari-X II rather than a VX. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how far Leupold is willing to go on a scope which is the victim of trauma. The anecdotes I've read indicate that they'll do whatever it takes, including replace the scope if that is required.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd bet Stonecreek is correct.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
re:
quote:
Not many scopes will hold center after an impact like that.

...indeed.

Keep us posted as to the trusty Leupie.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I bought a used 2.5-8 VX III here on AR when I got the scope sadly it was an older model than I expected however in nice condition. I mounted it up and shot it on a new rifle and thought the adjustments were inaccurate so I sent it in.
2 days ago I received a new in the box replacement because parts were no longer available.
While working on the floorplate latch on a rifle in my shop I dropped it on the concrete floor from waist high, bent the tube down to lay on the barrel. I'd had the scope since new in 1976. I sent it to Leupold fully explaining the story and expecting to pay for my repairs. They sent me a brand new scope. I got 30 years of hard use out of that scope then I ruined it and they sent me a new scope no charge.
They have the BEST customer service and warranty bar none and are easy to deal with and friendly.
Where else would you find that.
I'm a Leupold lifer.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Leupold will make it good Doug, hide and watch!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty much sums up my feelings on Leupolds. There may be a little bit better scopes out there, (probably at a much higher price) but a Leupold is a lifetime investment.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just put a new Leupold scope on my 300 mag ready for the next hunters tomorrow.Boxed up my broken one and sending to Oregon for repairs. I hope I get 25 years out of the new one as i did the broken one.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope I get 25 years out of the new one

My oldest (in use) Leupold, a Vari-X 3-9, was purchased new in 1965 and is still going strong. Next year will be its Golden Anniversary.

I have an older M7 4x in the safe which is waiting for some fine old classic contemporaneous rifle to be mounted on.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of the hardcore hunters, not necessarily gun nuts, I know eventually end up using a 300 magnum of some sort with a Leupold scope on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
All of the hardcore hunters, not necessarily gun nuts, I know eventually end up using a 300 magnum of some sort with a Leupold scope on it.

Mike,

I have been hunting and target shooting for 60 years and I don't like to shoot or hunt with 300 magnums. I do like Leupold scopes however I favor Kahles, Hensoldt and Zeiss.

I am headed for the range today and bringing along a custom M70 I got recently that's chambered for the 300 Win. Mag. a cartridge I really don't like.

It's loaded down some with 150's over Varget.

I also looked at a quote I got from a barrel maker on putting a new barrel on.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was only referrring to the hunters I actually know. Obviously there are a lot of good choices out there. I personally have never fired a 300 mag of any sort.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:

Leupolds is not at the top of scope that I would buy.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my Leupold's, but they are all fixed 4 or 6 powers. I have a 4x on a M70 .338WM that's still shoots as it was set in 1988. It has close to 2000 rounds through it. Lots of plinking. No fun off the bench.

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:

What would you buy given the choice?

I picked up a new set of Binos the 10x42 Mojave they where the best binos in camp. At $500 they where $2000 cheaper then the next cheapest pair. there.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chilcotin hillbilly:
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:

What would you buy given the choice?

I picked up a new set of Binos the 10x42 Mojave they where the best binos in camp. At $500 they where $2000 cheaper then the next cheapest pair. there.

S&Bwould be at the top of my list.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Leopold scopes on all my hunting/serious firearms(rifle and pistols). Only on my 50bmg rifles do not use them. I did have a Varri-XII on one 50 until I got the Nightforce scopes for both. I have a 30-06 pump which I put on and sight in a Varri-XII 3X9X40 in 1969. I have never had to readjust it and the scope literally has dents in it from being dropped etc(abused). I thought about sending it in but it still works just fine so if it is not broke do not fix it.
I have leupold scopes on everything from 204Ruger to 338win mag. I have 264/7mm/300 and 338mag rifles with Leupold. I have a 6lb 30-06 and a 5.75lb 308 with leupold Varri-XII scopes and they have some pretty good recoil. I have 454Casull rev and 223/257R/308win/454casull and 500S&W barrels for my Encore pistol with Leupold pistol scopes.
I shoot and hunt a lot and have never had a problem with any Leupold scope working. Maybe it is just me. Maybe not.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
14 day turn around from BC to Oregon and back $71.00 included shipping. looks like new.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

one of us
posted Hide Post
I must be the only shooter in the world to have a problem with Leupold customer service or lack there of.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
I must be the only shooter in the world to have a problem with Leupold customer service or lack there of.

OK, so what is it? Forgive me if I have missed your post explaining it.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
14 day turn around from BC to Oregon and back $71.00 included shipping. looks like new.

Interesting they charged you when there are countless stories here about them replacing/repairing damage such as yours for free.
I wonder what the difference is?

Being in Canada perhaps?

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:

Interesting they charged you when there are countless stories here about them replacing/repairing damage such as yours for free.
I wonder what the difference is?

Being in Canada perhaps?

My problem was man made no doubt about it. I presume that was the issue. It was possible being from Canada may been some what of an issue.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent in a badly beat-up m-8 4x Reticle was broken, scope pretty dinged up, but glass perfect...

Leupy couldn't fix the scope, or wouldn't, but for $100+they sold me a new FX-4x. Not really all that good a deal in retrospect.

Don't make dollars or sense to buy new Leupolds. Buy used and get the warranty, save a couple hundred...

Pretty damn impressed with Vortex. Those guys will send you a replacement and pay to pickup your defective scope when delivery occurs. Leupold is far out-classed with that action.

Better features for less money. Zeiss has their 25yr warranty. Iron-clad. None of this "we won't/can't fix it..."

Most warranties are pretty close to or as good as Leupold, some better... Did get screwed over by Seeadler-Optik, but their whole deal is now a China thing, no more German Quality...

Scopes are gonna break, and come out of adjustment. Used Leupold? Cool; but not interested in paying their Mfr Controlled Prices, for older technology just to get their warranty.