Find
Notify
Tools

New vs Old Style Leupold rings
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
What is your opinion on the new Leupold rings with the large logo stamped on top? Is it an improvement or did it take away from the appearance?

Old style;

New style with logo;

Question:
How will the change in Leupold rings affect whether or not you would purchase them?

Choices:
I was going to buy another brand but the nifty logo changed my mind
Meh, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other
The new logo looks tacky & I will be purchasing another brand because of it

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I prefer the clean look without the logo myself, but it has little impact on me. I generally mount my scopes with Burris Signature rings.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
We should probably all write Leupold and ask them whether the rings should be installed with the logos facing forward, facing rearward, both facing inward, or both facing outward.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Burris Signature rings as well, so I could care less about these rings.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should have had another "answer" for those that wouldn't have considered buying the rings either way.

If that is your stance, feel free to post, but if you vote in the poll, it will skew the results.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Double post deleted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't vote because I scrounge up the older rings at gunshows, ebay, etc. Have enough horded to last a while.

Leupold continues to screw up their entire product line.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ongwe:
Didn't vote because I scrounge up the older rings at gunshows, ebay, etc. Have enough horded to last a while.

Leupold continues to screw up their entire product line.

I threw out a rear STD ring that had the windage screw seats wiped out about a week ago. I didn't even think to strip the top ring half off. I had to buy a "set" anyway & now I have an extra front ring. If I had that rear top ring half, I could switch them out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's taking advertising "one step" too far in my opinion......and probably many others.

I've kept an eye out for the older style, for a few years now.

So....yeah...it's hidious.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
We should probably all write Leupold and ask them whether the rings should be installed with the logos facing forward, facing rearward, both facing inward, or both facing outward.

Would it depend on whether or not the scope has the "L" logon the the turret block?

If it's the newer style VX-2 as pictured with the old style rings, the logos on the rings would have to face inward towards the "L" on the turret block in order to concentrate then "OPTICAL FLUX" thus increasing lunar factor by 15%.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I don't care too much but, as with engraving, the lettering might help cut reflections and provide a reservoir for oil that can then spread around to limit rust.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
It's all about "THE BRAND.'

Old-line companies with respected names now plaster their well known logos wherever they can, as visible as they can make them.

I believe this is an attempt to convince the buyer their now outsourced, cheap, made-in-China crap is better than someone else's outsourced, cheap, made-in-China crap.

Anybody who's in the market for a new pickup truck already knows who makes what so why do the manufacturers need to put a tacky name badge that's the size of a dinner plate on the grille and lettering that takes up half the tailgate?

Caterpillar used to be about the best heavy equipment in the business. Now CAT plasters their logo, as big as can be, on everything from imported shoes to cheap, made in China portable generators that run for 100 hours and then fall apart.

Cadillac announced that they are no longer a car maker. Now they are a luxury lifestyle "brand" that happens to sell a car. barf

That's modern marketing for you.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:

Would it depend on whether or not the scope has the "L" logon the the turret block?

If it's the newer style VX-2 as pictured with the old style rings, the logos on the rings would have to face inward towards the "L" on the turret block in order to concentrate then "OPTICAL FLUX" thus increasing lunar factor by 15%.

Wildcat: You've got a future as a copy writer for Leupold's advertising department! That company has produced some of the best scopes and some of the most juvenile, trivial, and meaningless advertising hype I've ever seen. I have to ignore their advertising and hype in order to stomach buying another of their scopes. The inappropriate logo on the rings undoubtedly came from the same 26 year-old whiz kid who is their chief of marketing.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who hates that blue oval or bow tie on their vehicle? Same thing.

Posts: 41 | Location: Parker, CO | Registered: 25 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by streetglideok:

How would you like to buy a Chevy or Ford. Then, when you go to get in it & drive away there's a "blue oval" or "bow tie" that almost completely covers the hood where there wasn't one when you agreed to make the purchase.

Leupold doesn't have images of the new rings with the logo on their website nor have I seen the logo on any advertising images.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wildcat, I'm pissed off about this too, I won't be using them on my customs anymore. They look like shit.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by streetglideok:

A hair dryer, some monofiliment fishing line, some "Goo Gone" and 30 minutes will remove those badges from a new car.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
I prefer the clean look without the logo myself, but it has little impact on me. I generally mount my scopes with Burris Signature rings.

Me too. The only time I use non-signature rings is if the application I need isn't there.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't like the logo on the top of rings at all. And have changed to other brands until the rings are smooth again.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So now we must not purchase Remington, Winchester, Browning, and other rifles since they have writing and or logos on em, how about hunting knives, jackets and boots...your picky opine makes little since to me, never the less you do have that option and I will defend with my life your right to chose..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
So now we must not purchase Remington, Winchester, Browning, and other rifles since they have writing and or logos on em, how about hunting knives, jackets and boots...your picky opine makes little since to me, never the less you do have that option and I will defend with my life your right to chose..

You can buy whatever you want as can I and, after 38 years of buying Redfield/Leupold rings almost exclusively, I will now be buying Burris rings.

Fact is, almost 60% of the people in my poll feel the same way as I do. It looks like Leupold spent a lot of money to make their product less desirable to most potential buyers. There are also negative reviews on Leupold's site regarding the logo.

IF they had shown the change on their website or ANY of the stock photos being used by retailers, it would not be an issue with me. But then I, and the majority of of future purchasers of rings wouldn't buy them.

No matter what you think, from a marketing/sales standpoint, they screwed up pure and simple.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
This thread is beginning to amaze me, coming from the land of private enterprise and advertising. Though I don't put gun company decals on my shooting brake's Smiler windows (I don't want the bad guys to pinch my stuff), I didn't mind when the last one had the brand name on the tyre cover. If you really believe it is the best-value brand, why not tell others?

If anything from the Leupold livery got up my nose, it would be the gold bits - in case some critter saw them and cleared off.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
This thread is beginning to amaze me, coming from the land of private enterprise and advertising.

You are missing the point. This "advertizing" is hurting the "enterprise", not helping it.

quote:
Though I don't put gun company decals on my shooting brake's Smiler windows (I don't want the bad guys to pinch my stuff), I didn't mind when the last one had the brand name on the tyre cover. If you really believe it is the best-value brand, why not tell others?

What do you think Mercedes or BMW buyers would think if those brands emblazoned their products with large gaudy logos permanently stamped into the hood & trunk sheet-metal?

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
quote:
This thread is beginning to amaze me, coming from the land of private enterprise and advertising.

You are missing the point. This "advertizing" is hurting the "enterprise", not helping it.

quote:
Though I don't put gun company decals on my shooting brake's Smiler windows (I don't want the bad guys to pinch my stuff), I didn't mind when the last one had the brand name on the tyre cover. If you really believe it is the best-value brand, why not tell others?

What do you think Mercedes or BMW buyers would think if those brands emblazoned their products with large gaudy logos permanently stamped into the hood & trunk sheet-metal?

Well, those brands go a long way back and have reputations that supposedly make it unnecessary; their prices are such that it might even look like thumbing your nose at the poor people. But not being one who can afford to find out if the emperor really has any clothes, I wouldn't care if it did put the snobs off.

In any case, taking the analogy to prestige brands is a bridge too far. Leupold is not Recknagel.

No one (bar me) seems to have a problem with Leupold's gold ring or logo on their scopes. But, if we must take this comparison to high end brands: Do you have a problem with Holland & Holland inlaying their name in gold on the sidelocks?

PS: sorry if my spelling annoys you. I spent 40 years in newspapers where the vagaries of when to use S and Z was seen as such a PITA that we cut the gordian knot and use S for nearly all of them.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I personally would rather have the clean lines of the old style and they are easy enough to find so it is the old style I buy.

When lapping the new style stamped Leupold ring tops the underside of the logo is displaced by the stamping and cuts away first.

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote