New
Find
Notify
Tools

I finally busted a Swarovski....pic added
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Most of you know that I'm a big fan of Swarovski scopes and have been using them for a decade or so. I currently have well over a dozen of them on different rifles. I've bragged on them but I also told you that if I ever broke one I'd let everyone know, all I can do is tell it like it is.

Previously I've managed to break a couple Leupolds, Weavers, Tasco's, Simmons etc. but until today I've never had a Swarovski go belly up. It was weird how it happened.

The last deer I shot was with my Kimber 8400 in 325 WSM. I've shot it a couple times since then and was going to try and plink a few ground hogs for practice this evening. I was showing the Kimber to a couple buddies at lunchtime and one commented "whats weird about this scope?". At first I thought that he was kidding me or asking about the TDS Reticle but when I looked through the scope myself, you could see a lens and a black ring laying sideways inside the scope! The scope is a 3-10x42 AV. Last time I looked through the scope it had seemed fine and had been riding in the back of my truck on my way up to where I'm working and doing some hunting.

Hopefully my pics I took of the lens inside the scope came out OK, if they do I'll post them (I'm not going out into the thunderstorm right now to get my camera).

I called Swaro service and got a return authorization and sent it overnight to them where they will receive it before noon on 9-27-07. We'll see how long it takes before I get it back - I doubt it will be long.

In my note to the service department I did ask if an 3-10x42 AV would be able to stand up to the recoil of a lightweight 325 WSM, might be interesting to see if they say anything.

I know the Swaro haters will probably jump all over this and that's OK I've managed to break their favorite scopes also (some more than one of them), but I do hope everyone will keep things in perspective. Yes I'm a little disappointed that it broke and may end up switching to another scope for the 325 or at least keep a spare sighted in and go to Talley QR mounts to facilitate this. We'll see how it goes. A 7lb 325 WSM shooting 200gr bullets at 2950 might be a little hard on scopes but I still expect Swaro's to hold up to them, or maybe I'll stick a Zeiss Conquest on it and see how it does Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear it...

I would say just chalk that one up to sh-t happens... Doesn't matter what make you have of most anything... Even the earlier Rolls Royces would break occassionally... I haven't broken a Leupold yet but I know it's only a question of time and they are KNOWN for their durability if nothing else...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I had to go dig up an old e-mail. A friend of mine near Dallas had a Swaro quit on him this past Spring. The e-mail did not have the model in it, but I know that it was on a custom, heavy-barreled 7mm-08 (I remember that because it's now in MY safe. Big Grin)

He did not send it overnight and had it back in 28 days -- not bad at all.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9320 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ, that is interesting, I would be real keen to know what Swaro says was the reason for failure, if they say.
You know I think a lot of scopes get close to toast, and then some little thing pushes them over the edge. I just got back from a hunt, and there is a fellow who is a real serious rifleman who has been on this hunt for the 3 years I have gone, and he has a 7mm STW. It is a proverbial cannon. He has had a Nightforce on it since it was built. He thinks he has 1500-2000 rounds through this rig.
His scope was fine day one when we confirmed zero at camp, and all the rifle did was ride in the truck back to the local hotel, not an overly rough rid, about 30 minutes, 2 ways.

The next morning his scope was fried, he thinks it was simply the case bobbling around in the back of his truck, knocked the lenses funny. He didn't have a backup scope, but I did, a little nore than Talley QR rings would have been to change, but he used weaver style Leupy's, and he just took the rings off, put them on my backup Conquest, and he boresighted, fired 4 to tweak scope and was off--he did miss the first few hours of opening morning hunting, but killed his goat later that day...makes me think of having a backup in the case more often......

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
DJ, that is interesting, I would be real keen to know what Swaro says was the reason for failure, if they say.
You know I think a lot of scopes get close to toast, and then some little thing pushes them over the edge. I just got back from a hunt, and there is a fellow who is a real serious rifleman who has been on this hunt for the 3 years I have gone, and he has a 7mm STW. It is a proverbial cannon. He has had a Nightforce on it since it was built. He thinks he has 1500-2000 rounds through this rig.
His scope was fine day one when we confirmed zero at camp, and all the rifle did was ride in the truck back to the local hotel, not an overly rough rid, about 30 minutes, 2 ways.

The next morning his scope was fried, he thinks it was simply the case bobbling around in the back of his truck, knocked the lenses funny. He didn't have a backup scope, but I did, a little nore than Talley QR rings would have been to change, but he used weaver style Leupy's, and he just took the rings off, put them on my backup Conquest, and he boresighted, fired 4 to tweak scope and was off--he did miss the first few hours of opening morning hunting, but killed his goat later that day...makes me think of having a backup in the case more often......

Don,

What I've done for the last two rifles I had built was to use QD rings, and I have a second scope previously sighted in with the QD rings as a back up. One rifle uses Warne QD's, while the other has Leupold QD's.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
DMB, that makes good sense. The one thing I wish Talley made was a pair of rings that fit Weaver bases/picatinny rails, but I guess they don't to insure the Talley strength and lock up they're famous for remains based on their bases. Confused

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish, Talley actually does make a set of rings for a Picatinny style base, It's their rings for the Steyr Scout. The only problem is that they aren't quick detatchable which IMO is what you have to have on the Scout.
If you want a fine set of non-removeable Picatinny rings they might fit your bill. I've got a set that I'm not using. Let me know if you want to try them out....................DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a Pic of the Swaro I busted........

I imagine that I'll here back from Swaro next week, they got the scope on friday...............................DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats a bugger DJ! hope they send you a new one!

you were telling my how i always have problems with my kimber 8400 Montana 300WSM. and the problems with rings i had. I think the scopes chucked it in aswell! went to zero it because i noticed i was hitting high and right on animals. i confirmed it at 100 yards it was about 7 inches high and 7 inches to the right! i shot a group there about .8" which is about normal, adjusted down to where it was meant to be and it shot a group over 2 inches.

Is it any wonder im starting not to like Leupold and the rifle thats causing all the problems!

It couldnt even handle 400 rounds. VX-3 4.5-14X40LR B&C

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, I guess any rifle that's that powerful and that light can be pretty hard on scopes, whether it's a Leupold or a Swarovski.
The one thing I plan to change is that I'm probably going to switch back to the quick release Talley rings and have a spare sighted in for that rifle. I can use the rings on another 8400 (Or send them to you if you want to try the lightweights).
Even the best of stuff can break so I'm going to make contingency plans for when it does......................DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ, interesting about the Scout rings that would work on Picatinny rai. I wonder if they are available in varying heights. I actually have two rifles that use Picatinny mounts, a Surgeon action in 308 Win, and 2 Sauer 202 Lightweights.

I'll have to call Talley and see what up--thanks for the scoop!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Here's a Pic of the Swaro I busted........

I imagine that I'll here back from Swaro next week, they got the scope on friday...............................DJ

that would never have happened had you mounted it on a steyr. Wink

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:

Too bad they don't make a 325 WSM! I'm thinking a 325 WSM Scout would be pretty bad azz. It would fit perfect between my 308 and 376 Steyr Scouts..............................DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Too bad they don't make a 325 WSM! I'm thinking a 325 WSM Scout would be pretty bad azz. It would fit perfect between my 308 and 376 Steyr Scouts..............................DJ

whats the appeal of a 325 WSM?
i mean its actually a .315 caliber by bore diameter and a .323 caliber by groove diameter, right?
This cartridge came about as the result of a failed attempt to create a .338 WSM. The .325 WSM is intentionally misnamed to make it sound bigger than it is. It actually has a .315" bore diameter and should have been named the .315 WSM. It is an 8mm cartridge, and its performance is nearly identical to that of the .300 WSM. The most important difference between this cartridge and the .300 WSM is the relative scarcity of 8mm bullets for reloading.
i think a 9,3x62 or a .338 Fed. prohunter would fill that gap. and styer makes both.
they also have a 8x57 JS and a 8x68 S in the classic line.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

An 8mm hole is bigger then a 30 cal. hole. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dan belisle:
quote:

its not as big as a .325 hole is it?
so the difference of .007 is going to mean a deader animal?

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

The bullet diameter is .323 inches...Bullet diameter is the same as grove diameter.... Same as .308 cal. grove and bullet diameter are the same... That means that the difference in diameter between the 2 is .015 not .007... thumb

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The bullet diameter is .323 inches...Bullet diameter is the same as grove diameter.... Same as .308 cal. grove and bullet diameter are the same... That means that the difference in diameter between the 2 is .015 not .007... thumb

well shit.
why not just wear a shirt that says that. the deer will probably fall over. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
For me part of the appeal of the 325 is that it's NOT a 30 cal. Sometimes it's fun to play with something a little different than the usual.
Mine shoots 200gr TSX's at about 2950. Not a big performance increase over the 300 but enough that it's the one I'd take over the 300 WSM if bears etc. were around.
It won't replace the 300 WSM but it's a nice addition to the stable. Next I'd like a 257 WSM (not WSSM) or maybe a 6.5 WSM...........................DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
9.3 steyr

Great caliber, good gun, too bad it's opening bid is $200 too high (and I have 2 nicer 9,3x62's).....................DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you dont see me bidding on it do you. if the scope were included and he had dies and brass i might.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
9.3 steyr

Great caliber, good gun, too bad it's opening bid is $200 too high (and I have 2 nicer 9,3x62's).....................DJ

I dont understand why americans tend to ignore the advantages of the fine SR (rail) or Zeiss ZM(rail) combined with well made EAW or Recknagel scope mounts?!

Ringed scope mounts are not state of the art any longer (for many years!)

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safarischorsch:

I dont understand why americans tend to ignore the advantages of the fine SR (rail) or Zeiss ZM(rail) combined with well made EAW or Recknagel scope mounts?!

True enough about SR's and ZM's being superior, the problem is that you almost never see them for sale over here, hopefully that will change.

I'll take Talley's over EAW's any day , I've never used Recknagels so I can't say about them.......................DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I helped a friend with a poor shooting rifle last weekend. Don't laugh but it's a plain old Savage 110 in 270 win. with a 4/12 Swarovski scope on it.
Scope was given to him as a Christmas gift and gun had shot well before the new scope was mounted - by a "gunsmith"

We checked the action screws, barrel float, ...
four shots = 2, 1/2 inch groups 3 inches apart.

I re-mounted the scope in new rings and removed/reinstalled the bases, lapped the rings, leveled, bore sighted... Shot again - same results

I replaced the new scope with a Leupold Vari XII that I knew was good - same mounts

Starting shooting 1 inch groups. Last thing I suspected was the scope.

I let him keep the Leupold until the Swarovski gets fixed.

So how does he go about getting the scope fixed?
No receipt for the purchase - a gift.
I assume it is under warranty, less than a year old, bought from Cabelas.

Not slamming Swarovski, the first one I have looked closely at. Optics were great.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swarovski "we don't need no stinkin receipt". Just send it in and they will fix it no charge!

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safarischorsch:
quote:
quote:
9.3 steyr

i'll take EAWs anyday, as long as your buying.

One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
I love your signature.

From Siege of Firebase Gloria. R. Lee Ermy

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of you know that I'm a big fan of Swarovski scopes and have been using them for a decade or so. I currently have well over a dozen of them on different rifles. I've bragged on them but I also told you that if I ever broke one I'd let everyone know, all I can do is tell it like it is.

Previously I've managed to break a couple Leupolds, Weavers, Tasco's, Simmons etc. but until today I've never had a Swarovski go belly up. It was weird how it happened.

The last deer I shot was with my Kimber 8400 in 325 WSM. I've shot it a couple times since then and was going to try and plink a few ground hogs for practice this evening. I was showing the Kimber to a couple buddies at lunchtime and one commented "whats weird about this scope?". At first I thought that he was kidding me or asking about the TDS Reticle but when I looked through the scope myself, you could see a lens and a black ring laying sideways inside the scope! The scope is a 3-10x42 AV. Last time I looked through the scope it had seemed fine and had been riding in the back of my truck on my way up to where I'm working and doing some hunting.

Hopefully my pics I took of the lens inside the scope came out OK, if they do I'll post them (I'm not going out into the thunderstorm right now to get my camera).

I called Swaro service and got a return authorization and sent it overnight to them where they will receive it before noon on 9-27-07. We'll see how long it takes before I get it back - I doubt it will be long.

In my note to the service department I did ask if an 3-10x42 AV would be able to stand up to the recoil of a lightweight 325 WSM, might be interesting to see if they say anything.

I know the Swaro haters will probably jump all over this and that's OK I've managed to break their favorite scopes also (some more than one of them), but I do hope everyone will keep things in perspective. Yes I'm a little disappointed that it broke and may end up switching to another scope for the 325 or at least keep a spare sighted in and go to Talley QR mounts to facilitate this. We'll see how it goes. A 7lb 325 WSM shooting 200gr bullets at 2950 might be a little hard on scopes but I still expect Swaro's to hold up to them, or maybe I'll stick a Zeiss Conquest on it and see how it does Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........................DJ

I know this is an old thread,but am wondering if the lite Rifle in a Magnum cartridge,plus a large heavy scope give it enough enertia to destroy scopes or rings.I would switch to a 1" Tubed Scope in something like a 2 1/2 X 8 or 2 X 7 ,with a small Objective.That new Conquest would be ideal. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh I forgot to update. I got the scope back in about 10 days. It looked just like new (except for the scope rings I put on it.).
I asked them if it should hold up to the recoil of the rifle and they said that it should no problem.
Ol Biker, This scope is a 1" scope and one of the lightest available in it's class. We'll see how it holds up, I tend to shoot that rifle a good bit............................DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

The same can be asked the other way, why not a hole 0.015" bigger?

Is a .323 bullet really that much more aerodynamically efficient than a .338bullet?

Most cartridges of the last 30 years are about answering questions that nobody except a marketing executive would dare to ask.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Safarischorsch:
[I dont understand why americans tend to ignore the advantages of the fine SR (rail) or Zeiss ZM(rail) combined with well made EAW or Recknagel scope mounts?!
QUOTE]

Because the scope is allways placed too high and in complicated mounts costing considerably more money.

When an SR can utilise simple mounts to allow a 42mm scope objective to come within a butler creek of the barrel is the time I will buy. I confidently predict that EAW and Recknagel will never ever do this!